Indonesia plane crash: All 189 passengers presumed dead in latest aviation disaster (Oct 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Id be surprised if the FAA makes it through the day without temporarily grounding the Max 8. Not sure if the 9 is involved also. There is definitely a mismatch somewhere between aircraft performance and pilot training.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
that's strange, i was able to access the article a couple of times without it asking for anything. it was saying that there have been several u.s. pilot complaints about the plane in the past year or so.
I hit a paywall as well.

The FAA has a program to encourage pilots to report safety issues. Since the FAA's reputation is that of ruthless overlord the reporting program is administered by NASA and (with caveats) reporting issues through the program give pilots immunity against inadvertent violations of FAA rules (again, to encourage reporting safety issues so they can be addressed).

IOW, those reports are likely to contain some valuable information and insight. The reports have to be made within 10 days of any incident so no one is waiting until just now to say something.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hit a paywall as well.

The FAA has a program to encourage pilots to report safety issues. Since the FAA's reputation is that of ruthless overlord the reporting program is administered by NASA and (with caveats) reporting issues through the program give pilots immunity against inadvertent violations of FAA rules (again, to encourage reporting safety issues so they can be addressed).

IOW, those reports are likely to contain some valuable information and insight. The reports have to be made within 10 days of any incident so no one is waiting until just now to say something.
The second time, the popup referenced my ad blocker. I keep Opera handy with no blocker, just for truculent sites like that, so I opened it there...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
For the first time in 2 years, Trump does the right thing.

It’s pathetic that the FAA didn’t have the balls to do it, this makes them look bad IMO.
The FAA is borderline useless at times. Ever read an NTSB incident or safety report? The last section is practically always a complaint about the FAA exquisitely couched in technical and bureaucratic language, pointing out why they suck and asking how they could have screwed this up.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
The FAA is borderline useless at times. Ever read an NTSB incident or safety report? The last section is practically always a complaint about the FAA exquisitely couched in technical and bureaucratic language, pointing out why they suck and asking how they could have screwed this up.
Unfortunately, this is true for much of the government. But, they make up for their uselessness by wasting lots of money and causing damaging unintended consequences.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i heard an interview with the acting head of the faa this morning. he is not doing them any favors. i would think "don't be a smug, condescending douche" would be part of p.r./crisis management 101

it's why i didn't go into that field

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The FAA has been crippled by Trump's refusal to name a legitimate director. The only person he has suggested was quickly disqualified...it was Trump's personal pilot. :frown: The man now serving in that capacity seems to be in over his head.

All too often, we see governmental agencies being hogtied one way or another preventing it from doing the best it could. Then we have a segment of the population quick to criticize another governmental agency that's not getting the job done.

Keeping up with air traffic and coordinating everything all across the country seems like a job best done by one entity, and I'm glad that aspect hasn't been privatized.

The most recent story I've seen on this issue was the report that Ethiopia sent the crashed airplanes' black boxes to Germany rather than the U.S. to see what happened. Germany lacked the skill to look into it adequately, and sent the boxes to France. I consider this more evidence of how Trump has reduced worldwide respect for our country and alienated our allies. Before Trump, those boxes would have been submitted to the U.S. without question or hesitation.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The FAA has been crippled by Trump's refusal to name a legitimate director. The only person he has suggested was quickly disqualified...it was Trump's personal pilot. :frown: The man now serving in that capacity seems to be in over his head.

All too often, we see governmental agencies being hogtied one way or another preventing it from doing the best it could. Then we have a segment of the population quick to criticize another governmental agency that's not getting the job done.

Keeping up with air traffic and coordinating everything all across the country seems like a job best done by one entity, and I'm glad that aspect hasn't been privatized.

The most recent story I've seen on this issue was the report that Ethiopia sent the crashed airplanes' black boxes to Germany rather than the U.S. to see what happened. Germany lacked the skill to look into it adequately, and sent the boxes to France. I consider this more evidence of how Trump has reduced worldwide respect for our country and alienated our allies. Before Trump, those boxes would have been submitted to the U.S. without question or hesitation.
That sucks. The NTSB is still second to none on failure analysis. To see them reduced to playing second fiddle due to distrust hurts us all.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

that's been a large part of the strategery of the conservative movement in this country for many years.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Yep. Reinforce the false narrative that "guv'ment doesn't work" by appointing incompetent ("Brownie, you're doin' a helluva job") people to important government posts. Then, saying, "See, I told you that government doesn't work."
Eh. That may contribute a bit to the problem, but government incompetence is more fundamental than that. I've worked for the government for more than 10 years, including all eight years of the Obama administration. The way government spent money didn't improve during a D presidency. In fact, specific policies were implemented that made things worse. To paraphrase the purpose of every new policy related to government acquisitions: we will improve efficiency by adding more layers of bureaucracy.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Eh. That may contribute a bit to the problem, but government incompetence is more fundamental than that. I've worked for the government for more than 10 years, including all eight years of the Obama administration. The way government spent money didn't improve during a D presidency. In fact, specific policies were implemented that made things worse. To paraphrase the purpose of every new policy related to government acquisitions: we will improve efficiency by adding more layers of bureaucracy.
Government incompetence is simply government employee incompetence. Its an extreme example of zero accountability coupled with the peter principle

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.