One Of The Biggest At-Home DNA Testing Companies Is Working With The FBI

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
We're all a bunch of mongrels. I actually think that in most cases that is a big plus for us as a country. I happen to believe that will be the way our race relations will hopefully someday resolve themselves. We will finally realize we are all the same. My belief system already taught me that but it needs to sink in everywhere.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We're all a bunch of mongrels. I actually think that in most cases that is a big plus for us as a country. I happen to believe that will be the way our race relations will hopefully someday resolve themselves. We will finally realize we are all the same. My belief system already taught me that but it needs to sink in everywhere.
the people need to realize we are all the same, and then we need to address the structural and institutional racism in our country.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My beef with the DNA services is that I have limited confidence that the geographic interpretations are correct. My father's DNA testing said he was 4% North African. Not doubting that I have north African blood, but how did he get 4%? (50%, 25%, 12.5%, 6.25%, 3.125%, etc.) 4%?
Here's what I think. they take your money. Put your name on a dart, throw it at a dartboard, give you the results. Who's ever gonna know, right?
Lot of truth in what you say. The big two, in particular, have a lot of shortcuts and "smoothing" which they do with your data. If you're really curious, the thing to do is to upload to GEDMatch, the same public service which the FBI used to track down the Golden State killer. Their results are a lot blurrier but more accurate and your know exactly what their assumptions are. You have a choice of which analytic methods to use (most of us here would use Eurogenes) and how far back you want to dig. The further back (I went back 36 populations), the more of a mongrel you are, which is the way things should be, since you're looking back thousands of years, rather than the 500 or so that Ancestry and 23 use. Their results are very much tailored to simplify and to provide them in the manner which the consuming public usually wants...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, with all the surgeries you've had over the years, I have a dollar that says your DNA came back at least 15% cyborg.
One of the real positives to come out of the testing was how I processed meds. It's changed the sedation protocol for generals. Another interesting finding was that I'm an "ultra rapid metabolizer" of PPIs like Nexium. The notation which came back read "It's doubtful this individual can attain a therapeutic level." So, I quit them, after decades, and turned to H2 blockers instead...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I firmly believe we are all aliens, not natural to this planet, but genetically created from the nearest Earthling creature to our alien creators through DNA splicing, a combination of both. In other words God created us male and female in his likeness and that likeness is not natural to this planet! ;)

So if that DNA test does not go back far enough to tell me what star cluster my ancestors are originally from it is a waste of my money!!! ;)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I firmly believe we are all aliens, not natural to this planet, but genetically created from the nearest Earthling creature to our alien creators through DNA splicing, a combination of both. In other words God created us male and female in his likeness and that likeness is not natural to this planet! ;)

So if that DNA test does not go back far enough to tell me what star cluster my ancestors are originally from it is a waste of my money!!! ;)
:biggrin:hahahaha Are you really Georgio from Ancient Aliens?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

If my DNA test doesn't reveal that I'm Batman then it's crap.

I'm Batman

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just a curiosity question for those of you with trepidation about the FBI having access to your genome - what exactly is the fear, what negative consequences. (Barring, or course, having a guilty relative you want to shield.)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Just a curiosity question for those of you with trepidation about the FBI having access to your genome - what exactly is the fear, what negative consequences. (Barring, or course, having a guilty relative you want to shield.)

Biometric Security Poses Huge Privacy Risks
New technologies will also make it possible to extract far more information from the biometrics we are already collecting. While most law-enforcement DNA databases contain only snippets of the genome, agencies can keep the physical DNA samples in perpetuity, raising the question of what future genetic-analysis tools will be able to discern. “Once you have somebody's DNA, you have all sorts of very personal info,” Lynch says. “There is a lot of fear that people are going to start testing samples to look for a link between genes and propensity for crime.”

Current law is not even remotely prepared to handle these developments. The legal status of most types of biometric data is unclear. No court has addressed whether law enforcement can collect biometric data without a person's knowledge, and case law says nothing about facial recognition.
By the time general trepidation is specific and imminent enough to be justified, it is far too late.

When I was a kid, at the Alabama State Fair, they had a booth where parents could take their kids to get fingerprinted. I think the idea that sold it was that in case of a kidnapping or somesuch, it would help law enforcement locate the kids. Even as a kid, I was apprehensive about it, because all I knew from watching TV was that fingerprints were what got people caught. Now, I did not at that time aspire to a life of crime, and I have been on a (relatively) lawful path my whole life, but that doesn't mean I wanted to get caught forensically if I ever did do something. Of course, now I am cynical enough to believe that the police probably never solved an abduction using that database at all, and just wanted as many people in their database as they could get to make it easier on them to do their jobs. As for myself, I have utter faith in myself that if I ever committed crimes, that I would be justified in doing so. What I do not have utter faith in is that my definition of what should constitute a crime would always and forever match the definition used by local, state, and federal authorities. I know that is a tough sell, especially in law-and-order Alabama, home of Jeff Sessions, who thought the KKK was OK until he found out they smoked pot, but I still trust myself more than I trust anyone else, which forms the basis for the desire to minimize the amount of leverage that lawful authorities have over me. Opposing comprehensive databases, even for noble purposes, is just one part of that.

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
The same trepidation that I have with them knowing what type and how many weapons that I own-that is if I actually had weapons of any kind. Goes back to need to know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't trust government much at all - a vast majority of the atrocities that have been committed throughout human history have come at the behest of some sort of government leadership. Therefore, I want the government to have access to as little data as possible about me.

I've no idea exactly how this data could be used against me, but I'm certain someone, somewhere, will figure that part out at some point.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I don't think I need any more reason than that to have trepidation about police having my DNA. People said the same thing about library books and phone records. With the world changing as it has police are using the changes to evade 4th Amendment issues by using all sorts of sketchy novel legal ruling that seemingly tend generally to favor intrusion. Instead of treating digital and other similar data like a lockbox at a bank (which I assume requires a warrant for police to access) it's treated like an open letter you posted online for everyone to see. From my view if I share this data with my doctor or lawyer or a DNA research company or g-mail or my next door neighbor my expectation is that they will guard my private data and that police would need a warrant to search them just like they would need one to search me and so if that person was giving that data up without a fight - really, just giving it to them as a matter of course - they would quickly lose my trust. Period. I do get that a lot of the data gets shared by google and the like.

My guilty relatives: oh, I might reconsider if it got them locked away. I'd pay for the privilege in that case.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Color me confused. They disclosed to the government, whom you trust, but that action makes you not trust the company. Okie dokie.
There is very little recourse on this front with a corporation unless they expressly give me the right to consent to dispersing my data which of course their service agreements do the exact opposite. The government has the 4th amendment and other laws that limits what the government can extract from me without probable cause.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There is very little recourse on this front with a corporation unless they expressly give me the right to consent to dispersing my data which of course their service agreements do the exact opposite. The government has the 4th amendment and other laws that limits what the government can extract from me without probable cause.
What's in bold above makes me chuckle. No offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.