How Russia deploys its online troll army, this time in the MH17 disaster

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
https://www.thedailybeast.com/mh17-russia-deployed-its-trolls-to-cover-up-the-murder-of-298-people

The bodies had hardly stopped falling from the sky on July 17, 2014, when the trolls of Russia’s Internet Research Agency went into action. Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 had just been shot down over eastern Ukraine, and the same IRA operation Vladimir Putin would use to influence the U.S. presidential election two years later went into overdrive, pumping out conspiracy theories to exculpate Moscow’s murderous clients
The Boeing 777 passenger jet was en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur with 298 people on board, including 80 children, when it was blown out of the air above territory held by Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine. Two-thirds of the passengers were from the Netherlands. It was a tragedy that affected many Dutch people in the way Americans had experienced 9/11.

Now exhaustive research by two Dutch journalists, Robert van der Noordaa and Coen van de Ven,in the Dutch weekly , shows precisely the way the Russian trolls worked to shift blame for the massacre and create a dense fog of conspiracy theories to obscure the facts.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: How Russia deploys it's online troll army, this time in the MH17 disaster

Bellingcat is a consortium of investigative journalists. They do excellent real investigative journalism (i.e. nothing related to the Kardashians). They rely mostly on open sources. They are really good at investigative journalism.
Here is a sample:
MH17 – Russian GRU Commander ‘Orion’ Identified as Oleg Ivannikov

In regards to the MH-17 shoot-down, here is their report 3 years after the shoot-down:
MH17 – The Open Source Investigation, Three Years Later
There is a 73 page document linked on this page.
It is long, but they show there work in getting to the answer: the Russian army did it.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

MH17: Four charged with shooting down plane over Ukraine.

Igor Girkin (also known as Strelkov), a former colonel in Russia's FSB intelligence service, according to prosecutors. He was given the minister of defence title in the rebel-held eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk. He is believed to be the highest military officer in the area who was in direct contact with the Russian Federation. In a statement Mr Girkin said: "I can only say that militia did not shoot down the Boeing."

Sergei Dubinsky (known as Khmury), who was employed by Russia's GRU military intelligence agency, was a deputy of Mr Girkin and was in regular contact with Russia, according to prosecutors.

Oleg Pulatov, known as Giurza, a former soldier of [Russian] GRU special forces and deputy head of the intelligence service in Donetsk, the JIT says
Ukrainian national [but pro-Russian] Leonid Kharchenko who has no military background but led a combat unit as a commander in Eastern Ukraine, according to prosecutors.

I hope they nail these guys' butts to the ground.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

If they are found guilty what are the chances that Russia will surrender these men? Russia is still denying they had anything to do with it. I read somewhere today the Russians are blaming the CIA.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

If they are found guilty what are the chances that Russia will surrender these men? Russia is still denying they had anything to do with it. I read somewhere today the Russians are blaming the CIA.
Zero. Rendition of those charged would violate the Russian constitution.
Possible for Kharchenko, because he is a Ukrainian national. But unlikely,

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The Russians are experts at propaganda, and there's no shortage of people who will believe whatever confirms what they wish to believe.

The lack of critical thinking in this country is astonishing.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I agree but when is it taught to citizens?
Does it really have to be taught? IMO, you just have to care, use common sense, have an open mind while knowing what you know and don't know, etc., and then (this is the hard part) find a reliable source of info. I was never taught it but IMO, exercise it especially in matters that I care about.

In my observation few people have the courage to face the truth about important matters. They will not accept the results of real critical thinking if it does not result in what they want to hear. They will play games in order to live the way they want with as clear a conscience as they can muster. Intelligence plays no part - low, mid and high IQ people have the very same issues.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Does it really have to be taught? IMO, you just have to care, use common sense, have an open mind while knowing what you know and don't know, etc., and then (this is the hard part) find a reliable source of info. I was never taught it but IMO, exercise it especially in matters that I care about.
I think it does. I do not believe it happens spontaneously. I have taught and used Paul & Elder's Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools. I find it useful.
In my observation few people have the courage to face the truth about important matters. They will not accept the results of real critical thinking if it does not result in what they want to hear. They will play games in order to live the way they want with as clear a conscience as they can muster. Intelligence plays no part - low, mid and high IQ people have the very same issues.
The best examples of failure to think critically can be found in almost any political discussion in these United States. Or just watch television within a month of an election.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Really good piece of investigation by the Atlantic Council.
Operation Secondary Infection.
Operation Infektion was a Russian agitprop alleging that the United States created AIDS to kill gay people. The KGB got that story run in an obscure newspaper in India. Then they got people to reference the supposed legitimate story in other, more legitimate news sources.

Secondary Infection is the Russkiis creating social media accounts, using them to post one crap story, then abandoning the account. In one case, a German politician cited one of the fake stories in public.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.