The Perpetual Gun Control Thread

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Too bad you’re too ignorant to know what’s right and what’s wrong. Like I said go do something about it yourself.
i do know enough to know when i should and should not take people seriously. and i do vote against people who think like you, so i guess that's something.

Last edited:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
What drives me crazy is how the narrative is spun that there is this huge threat from mass shootings when they account for less than 0.5% of the victims that are killed annually by guns.

You are more than 100 times more likely to be killed by a handgun in an isolated incident.

You are more than 1000 times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident.

Overdoses account for more than 4 times the people killed per year than all the homicides of any type combined.

Over 50 million students enrolled k-12 per year in the US. If we count all the kids/teachers impacted by a mass shooting event @ + 1000 (even though less than 1% of those would be injured directly), then we get 0.00002% of kids will be impacted.

If you actually want to save lives, fix the horses first and then worry about the zebra.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
What drives me crazy is how the narrative is spun that there is this huge threat from mass shootings when they account for less than 0.5% of the victims that are killed annually by guns.

You are more than 100 times more likely to be killed by a handgun in an isolated incident.

You are more than 1000 times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident.

Overdoses account for more than 4 times the people killed per year than all the homicides of any type combined.

Over 50 million students enrolled k-12 per year in the US. If we count all the kids/teachers impacted by a mass shooting event @ + 1000 (even though less than 1% of those would be injured directly), then we get 0.00002% of kids will be impacted.

If you actually want to save lives, fix the horses first and then worry about the zebra.
I don’t understand this argument either. Why is it wrong to address a problem just because another larger problem exists?

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I don’t understand this argument either. Why is it wrong to address a problem just because another larger problem exists?
In football, would you spend 99% of each practice session going over only guarding against a fake field goal attempt (somewhat similar %s)? It's not wrong at all to address it, its just that this is a tiny mole hill. I said in my original post, "If you actually want to save lives," but perhaps I should have worded it "If you want to save the most lives".

Resources are finite so I find it absurd to spend an inordinate amount of them on such a fractional % of a "problem" when there are 1,000,000's of poor, homeless, addicted people in this country alone that could be greatly benefited by these resources.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
In football, would you spend 99% of each practice session going over only guarding against a fake field goal attempt (somewhat similar %s)? It's not wrong at all to address it, its just that this is a tiny mole hill. I said in my original post, "If you actually want to save lives," but perhaps I should have worded it "If you want to save the most lives".

Resources are finite so I find it absurd to spend an inordinate amount of them on such a fractional % of a "problem" when there are 1,000,000's of poor, homeless, addicted people in this country alone that could be greatly benefited by these resources.
No one is spending 99% of the time addressing mass shootings. I run a business. While problems have to be prioritized, all problems must be addressed.

This is is definitely not a mole hill. As of September 1, there has been more than one mass shooting per day in 2019.

Saying we’re going to ignore this issue because there are bigger fish to fry is the worst thing we could possibly do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.