Game Thread: Georgia State @ Alabama (7 PM tip)

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Announcing games tonight checked @ the half we were up big. Come home to find out we lost? There’s no excuse for this with our talent. Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had a 8-9 minute scoring drought that let them get back in it. They were not shooting very well themselves but did score occasionally during that stretch. Then our D just completely collapsed and they drove inside every trip and scored almost every time. I was a bit surprised they settled for a 3 at the end but it went in and that was that. A very bad loss.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Tough to figure. Only scores during the long stretch came from a made free throw every now and then. I didn't get the lineups at times. 2nd half passing become non-existent. Jones could not finish a shot in the paint. The lead just continuously dwindled.

It all seemed to start with the bogus foul call on Smith. Jones, Petty, Ingram all missing free throws when they were needed. Some of the players really tightened up and did not shoot when they needed to or did not look smooth when doing so.

This may be impossible to recover from.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Even though it is better to have more talent because that wins a lot of games, I miss the lesser talented teams in the first 2 years of Avery's tenure because they played harder. They had too to win the games they did. That has bugged me about the more talented players the last 2 years. Seems like they lose focus and check out mentally at times. It's the mark of a good coach to have your team ready to play every game and for the entire game. We'll see if Avery has what it takes.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I saw we were up big, checked back later on the phone and saw the game was tight and then kept hitting refresh. I was shocked to see we lost. This really stinks. I haven't looked up the Georgia State RPI, but I assume it's not very good.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I saw we were up big, checked back later on the phone and saw the game was tight and then kept hitting refresh. I was shocked to see we lost. This really stinks. I haven't looked up the Georgia State RPI, but I assume it's not very good.
I don't know their RPI but I do know they lost to Liberty, our opponent in 2 weeks, by 26 points.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I think that I am done defending CAJ. I think his energy and enthusiasm is what we needed injected into our program. I’m not going to bash him, but I’m making myself look foolish now constantly defending him. Too often, we just don’t look prepared or have a fluid gameplan. Substitution patterns and certain lineups on the floor are bizarre. I came in here and defended him until I was blue in the face, and I admit that I was probably wrong. I do think the program is better off than it was under CAG, but we may have reached our ceiling. Who knows, maybe I’m just down right now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is the type of loss that will start the Avery hot seat talk. We were 7 points favorites at home and in CAJ’s fourth year. No excuse for this kind of performance..
I've defended CAJ for awhile now. Blowing a 22 point lead to Georgia State (however good they might be - see second post in thread) in year four lets the doubt and worry to begin to creep in. I hate it.
Fred Hoiberg is available
Told a few people last night Greg has to at least make a call to see if Hoiberg would be interested.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think that I am done defending CAJ. I think his energy and enthusiasm is what we needed injected into our program. I’m not going to bash him, but I’m making myself look foolish now constantly defending him. Too often, we just don’t look prepared or have a fluid gameplan. Substitution patterns and certain lineups on the floor are bizarre. I came in here and defended him until I was blue in the face, and I admit that I was probably wrong. I do think the program is better off than it was under CAG, but we may have reached our ceiling. Who knows, maybe I’m just down right now.

Yep. He's gotten the talent on campus, which is a positive. However, I'm starting to think the ceiling has been reached.

Now, a surprise win over Arizona Sunday can easily change my thought process.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The team was just dying for a field goal during a very long stretch and the defense fell apart. GS took away the dribble in the 2nd half and the team could not make the necessary passes often enough. Scoring one point every 2 or 3 trips was not keeping up.

I'm feeling down on Coach at the moment as well. Still hoping the lineups will stabilize and the players will gel but at the moment they don't seem like a cohesive unit.

I think the 3 players signed for next year are top 100 which is pretty significant with maybe another signing later.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The team was just dying for a field goal during a very long stretch and the defense fell apart. GS took away the dribble in the 2nd half and the team could not make the necessary passes often enough. Scoring one point every 2 or 3 trips was not keeping up.

I'm feeling down on Coach at the moment as well. Still hoping the lineups will stabilize and the players will gel but at the moment they don't seem like a cohesive unit.

I think the 3 players signed for next year are top 100 which is pretty significant with maybe another signing later.
The hope was the other would be Trendon Watford. That continues to look less likely as Penny Hardaway continues to get top recruits based on his AAU connections.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Yep. He's gotten the talent on campus, which is a positive. However, I'm starting to think the ceiling has been reached.

Now, a surprise win over Arizona Sunday can easily change my thought process.
Not for me, it will take sustained effort over the remainder of the season which is something we haven't see yet out of a CAJ coached team. Every year there has been a collapse in December and February. In between those times we've had good moments but no sustained success. I love CAJ as a person but not as a coach. Honestly I gave up on him last season even though I hoped I was wrong. I've been to more Bama bball games since CAJ was hired than with Hobbs, Gottfried, and Grant combined due to my excitement over what I had hoped CAJ was building at UA. However it has been painfully obvious for awhile now that there is no direction with his coaching. There is no offense outside of individual performance and defense has been getting worse and worse. I would love to be wrong about CAJ because he is a heck of a person but my gut tells me that the best thing for the program is for him to recognize that he is not a coach and to go back into broadcasting at the end of the season.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I've never been optimistic that we would sign Watford. We couldn't sign his brother and I don't think we will sign him either.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I've defended CAJ for awhile now. Blowing a 22 point lead to Georgia State (however good they might be - see second post in thread) in year four lets the doubt and worry to begin to creep in. I hate it.
My posts the last 2 years were never meant to bash or hate on CAJ but in the second half of year two and the first half of year three I didn't see progress or improvement in the program. I'll admit that I'm somewhat pessimistic about Bama basketball since we've been mediocre for so long but I think it's clear now that the only reason last year wasn't a disaster is because of Colin Sexton's heroics down the stretch and in the SEC tournament. Definitely give CAJ credit for bringing more talent to the program but it almost makes it worse when we keep losing to far less talented teams.

This is probably pie in the sky i.e. a Nick Saban type of hire but I wonder if Billy Donovan has about run his course with the Oklahoma Thunder and if he has any desire to return to the college game. If Byrne decides to move on from Avery we need to have a strong candidate identified. We can't take another flyer on a guy like CAJ who never really coached or was involved in the college game before..

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
When I quit following the game last night we were up by 20. I was stunned when I met my dad this morning and he told me what had happened.

I've been pessimistic for a while now. No, I'm not going to bash anyone, especially since I rarely post on this board and it's awful when someone never participates until they say something negative. But it's difficult to look around at the other programs in the SEC that hired new coaches around the same time we did, and to see them in the top 10, or top 20, having great seasons and getting nice tournament seedings.

I don't know what needs to be done to fix it. I hope CAJ is able to.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Watford is good as gone. Hardaway has opened up the AAU cessppol of recruiting tactics- perfect for a cesspool city and program like Memphis. And our program continues to show no real signs of getting where we would all like to see it.
The hope was the other would be Trendon Watford. That continues to look less likely as Penny Hardaway continues to get top recruits based on his AAU connections.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.