The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
more fake news link to wapo

'member when folks were so concerned about how much money was being spent on michelle and the girls lavish vacations
I 'member. And complained about it at the time along with complaining about her staff of fashion people, etc.

Now I long for those simpler days.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
more fake news link to wapo

'member when folks were so concerned about how much money was being spent on michelle and the girls lavish vacations
While I don't believe it's fake news, It is a lot of conjecture just like the reports on Obama's were. They are stating in the article that they are basing much of their report from a report filed in October of 2015. Now I realize that the Washington Post and all of the other liberal media outlets only have Trump's best interests but let's wait until there is hard data to pronounce what he is guilty of spending. I do think he should stay at the Whitehouse to work as much as possible. As soon as he has his officials in place and all the "old regime" out the door he can do that without so much leaking.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
there's this little nugget as well

For Trump, the costs come with an additional perk: Some of the money flows into his own pocket. While Trump has removed himself from managing his company, he has refused to divest his ownership, meaning that he benefits from corporate successes such as government contracts.

The Defense Department and Secret Service, for instance, have sought to rent space in Trump Tower, where leasing a floor can cost $1.5 million a year — though neither agency has disclosed any details. In addition, Trump’s travel to his signature properties while trailed by a press corps beaming images to the world allows the official business of the presidency to double as marketing opportunities for his brand.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So, is it the hypocrisy of the media that bothers you, in that they used to not care, but do now? Or the hypocrisy of the Republicans that it used to bother? Or the hypocrisy of the libs -- who used to not care, but for some reason -- are now upset?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I 'member. And complained about it at the time along with complaining about her staff of fashion people, etc.

Now I long for those simpler days.
Same

So, is it the hypocrisy of the media that bothers you, in that they used to not care, but do now? Or the hypocrisy of the Republicans that it used to bother? Or the hypocrisy of the libs -- who used to not care, but for some reason -- are now upset?
Yes

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
there's this little nugget as well
See, the Trump agenda is fine. From his perspective, at least. Taxpayers are paying the president millions of dollars through the businesses from which he hasn't divested. He's doubled the fees to join his country club on the promise that the POTUS will make frequent appearances, and it won't end there. He's laughing all the way to the bank while his loyal supporters fall over themselves in logical pretzels to defend his animus, his incompetence, and the fact that he's flagrantly profiting off our backs.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
See, the Trump agenda is fine. From his perspective, at least. Taxpayers are paying the president millions of dollars through the businesses from which he hasn't divested. He's doubled the fees to join his country club on the promise that the POTUS will make frequent appearances, and it won't end there. He's laughing all the way to the bank while his loyal supporters fall over themselves in logical pretzels to defend his animus, his incompetence, and the fact that he's flagrantly profiting off our backs.
when you put it like that, its just like obama and the libs

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me be clear on something as I mis-stated something earlier. I had much more to say but my computer froze up (Obama's fault no doubt).

When I stated Trump's approval rating higher than the media (by which I unquestionably meant their trustworthiness) - it IS. But it isn't TWICE as high. I misread a comment on that placing it at 14%. It's actually at 14% among 'Republicans' per Gallup in September. It's at 32% overall and Trump's approval is around 39 (I don't buy the 55 from Rasmussen).

His is slightly above the MOE, but it is higher.

Folks don't trust the press plain and simple - and they've earned the scorn. So has Trump. Folks don't trust him, either.

However, it's NOT twice as high nor was I using the Rasmussen number. My mistake.

The press took eight years off to smugly chuckle. They don't get to come back and suddenly do their jobs again and pretend that eight-year vacation didn't happen.

Too bad for the press that Al Gore invented the Internet.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Here's the full Shep Smith complaint about the press conference video. Over/under on how long he keeps his job? I already see the "Fox News fingers in the ears at anything negative" crowd calling for him to be fired.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Let me be clear on something as I mis-stated something earlier. I had much more to say but my computer froze up (Obama's fault no doubt).

When I stated Trump's approval rating higher than the media (by which I unquestionably meant their trustworthiness) - it IS. But it isn't TWICE as high. I misread a comment on that placing it at 14%. It's actually at 14% among 'Republicans' per Gallup in September. It's at 32% overall and Trump's approval is around 39 (I don't buy the 55 from Rasmussen).

His is slightly above the MOE, but it is higher.

Folks don't trust the press plain and simple - and they've earned the scorn. So has Trump. Folks don't trust him, either.

However, it's NOT twice as high nor was I using the Rasmussen number. My mistake.

The press took eight years off to smugly chuckle. They don't get to come back and suddenly do their jobs again and pretend that eight-year vacation didn't happen.

Precisely. The reason they can't effectively persuade any Trump supporter is because they lost them over the past 8 years with their own lies and obfuscations. They've gone from "what is the best way we can interpret this president's action" to "what is the worst...". IOW, they have no credibility, even with many of us who oppose Trump and believe most of what they are now saying to be true.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Precisely. The reason they can't effectively persuade any Trump supporter is because they lost them over the past 8 years with their own lies and obfuscations. They've gone from "what is the best way we can interpret this president's action" to "what is the worst...". IOW, they have no credibility, even with many of us who oppose Trump and believe most of what they are now saying to be true.
you are assuming trump supporters are persuadable

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
.The press took eight years off to smugly chuckle. They don't get to come back and suddenly do their jobs again and pretend that eight-year vacation didn't happen.

Agreed. I'll also suggest that distrust of the press is multifaceted. Many on the right hate the press for reasons that have been posted ad nauseum. But many on the left also feel that their coverage and framing during the election was horrifyingly poor, misleading, and helped to give us the current catastrophe.

I'd wager the character and leadership flaws that give Trump his historically low approval are more unanimously agreed across the spectrum of left, center, and right.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
you are assuming trump supporters are persuadable
Not really. Many wouldn't be anyway. The job would be easier for the press if they had any credibility. Ignoring the problem does not make it not so or less important. Blaming Trump supporters solely does not absolve the press of proper blame. You are implying a false choice. Both can be true to some extent.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not really. Many wouldn't be anyway. The job would be easier for the press if they had any credibility. Ignoring the problem does not make it not so or less important. Blaming Trump supporters solely does not absolve the press of proper blame. You are implying a false choice. Both can be true to some extent.
i agree that both can be true to some extent. but "the media" has been a boogeyman for a long time

i don't really care what their reasoning, anyone that can watch what trump is doing and the way he is behaving and support it deserves a lot of scorn

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You may be smarter. You may be. But, since you and your buddies like to call people "stupid", "morons", etc....whenever you have trouble arguing any point where it doesn't go your way, tells me that for all of your "learnin" and "edumacation" -- you really don't understand much. You and your buddies -- confuse being "loud" with being "right". Or being "rude" with being "right". Or making it "personal" -- constantly.....

The fact that there are only about 5-6 of you -- that post over and over and over and over and over saying the same thing over and over and over and over -- and then you all laugh, like you are the smartest 5-6 of you on the planet is pretty funny.

It's like you all got together and said, "let's form a club and tell each other how right we are" -- like the ladies of a new TV show "Housewives of tidefans.com"

At least, seebell -- is quite likable, and loves a valid debate. The rest of you.....(heavy sigh) I sure wish you were Auburn fans ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.