Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I know Clemson folks are very proud (and should be) of their recent championship run. The problem is, unless they continue winning them AND stop Bama from winning anymore. This run (from a historical perspective) is going to fall in the shadow of the greatest championship run in college football history. I'm not saying they're going to be a footnote. But this "run" Bama is on has lasted dang near ten years and signs pointing to that it's not over yet. Clemson's run started right in the middle of Bama's, now running parallel with it. Again, I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Clemson or Dabo. Just saying it is very likely that when looked at and/or remembered from a historical perspective. It may not get the credit it deserves because of the run Bama is on as well.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Good on Dabo.

Dude can coach and knows how to lead. May get on our nerves with his rah-rah stuff, but he knows how to fire up his orange base, keep coaches and players (at least those who don't get arrested), and raise money.

What he's done from the day he became HBC at Clemson is really remarkable.
What I find interesting about Dabo is how he got over the hump. For years he couldn't get it done and lost key games that prevented Clemson from being a National Championship contender. He was even labeled a "Choker" for a while. Then the lightbulb turned on and Clemson stopped losing the type of games that became the hallmark of his average career. So what was it? FSU's fall from the throne? Miami being mired in mediocrity? Did Dabo hire one or two position coaches that made the difference? Was it a change in recruiting philosophy, learning from mistakes... yada, yada? Something has changed in their program enabling them to have tremendous success over the last 4 years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What I find interesting about Dabo is how he got over the hump. For years he couldn't get it done and lost key games that prevented Clemson from being a National Championship contender. He was even labeled a "Choker" for a while. Then the lightbulb turned on and Clemson stopped losing the type of games that became the hallmark of his average career. So what was it? FSU's fall from the throne? Miami being mired in mediocrity? Did Dabo hire one or two position coaches that made the difference? Was it a change in recruiting philosophy, learning from mistakes... yada, yada? Something has changed in their program enabling them to have tremendous success over the last 4 years.
Chad Morris and Brent Venables happened.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Personally, I think Dabo may have done what most people in life never do and that's take a look in the mirror and truly self evaluate. People who end up being great have the ability to drop the pride and make changes about themselves. He made me a believer in the first national title game against them when they went toe to toe with us from a physicality standpoint. Most teams in the country cannot hold up against us like they did. They were our equal from a tenacity and physical standpoint. Money doesn't buy that nor does hiring an assistant coach. That type change comes from the head coach.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Personally, I think Dabo may have done what most people in life never do and that's take a look in the mirror and truly self evaluate. People who end up being great have the ability to drop the pride and make changes about themselves. He made me a believer in the first national title game against them when they went toe to toe with us from a physicality standpoint. Most teams in the country cannot hold up against us like they did. They were our equal from a tenacity and physical standpoint. Money doesn't buy that nor does hiring an assistant coach. That type change comes from the head coach.
I think there's a lot of truth to what you say. I also agree with RTR91 that Morris and Venables have made a significant contribution to their recent success. Venables will be a HC soon, unless he's not interested.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think there's a lot of truth to what you say. I also agree with RTR91 that Morris and Venables have made a significant contribution to their recent success. Venables will be a HC soon, unless he's not interested.
Wasn't Venables there when they got blown out a few times? Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I think he was there when they got skull drug on the scoreboard a few times in big games.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wasn't Venables there when they got blown out a few times? Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I think he was there when they got skull drug on the scoreboard a few times in big games.
Venables replaced Kevin Steele as DC after Clemson got blown out by WVU 70-33 in 2011.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Kevin Steele was the DC when West Virgina skulldragged them in a bowl game. He was fired and Venables was hired.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
I know Clemson folks are very proud (and should be) of their recent championship run. The problem is, unless they continue winning them AND stop Bama from winning anymore. This run (from a historical perspective) is going to fall in the shadow of the greatest championship run in college football history. I'm not saying they're going to be a footnote. But this "run" Bama is on has lasted dang near ten years and signs pointing to that it's not over yet. Clemson's run started right in the middle of Bama's, now running parallel with it. Again, I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Clemson or Dabo. Just saying it is very likely that when looked at and/or remembered from a historical perspective. It may not get the credit it deserves because of the run Bama is on as well.

A great time to be a college football fan.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Thanks for the clarification on the Venables/Steele mix up. However, I don't think you can give full credit to assistant coaches for the change at Clemson without giving a lot of it to Dabo as well. Just like I tell my boys in baseball, you're either getting better or you're getting worse (as a player). There's no such thing as idle. The same I think goes with the development as a coach. You're either getting better or you're getting worse. I have a hard time believing Dabo is no better or wiser of a coach now than 7 years ago and the only reason they are where they are is because of an assistant coach who's been gone several years and one who is still there.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Thanks for the clarification on the Venables/Steele mix up. However, I don't think you can give full credit to assistant coaches for the change at Clemson without giving a lot of it to Dabo as well. Just like I tell my boys in baseball, you're either getting better or you're getting worse (as a player). There's no such thing as idle. The same I think goes with the development as a coach. You're either getting better or you're getting worse. I have a hard time believing Dabo is no better or wiser of a coach now than 7 years ago and the only reason they are where they are is because of an assistant coach who's been gone several years and one who is still there.
Dabo was on the verge of getting fired until he hired Chad Morris, which changed their offensive philosophy. Yes, Morris is gone, but he made a major impact on how Clemson did things on offense from scheme to recruits. Things have continued that way after he left.

Venables changed the way the defense played. Their mentality changed. They got tougher and stronger.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but those two guys had a major impact on how Clemson turned things around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Dabo was on the verge of getting fired until he hired Chad Morris, which changed their offensive philosophy. Yes, Morris is gone, but he made a major impact on how Clemson did things on offense from scheme to recruits. Things have continued that way after he left.

Venables changed the way the defense played. Their mentality changed. They got tougher and stronger.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but those two guys had a major impact on how Clemson turned things around.
Which indicates that Dabo isn't to prideful to change. Much like Coach Saban did a few years ago with finally starting to implement RPO concepts after getting hosed by them for several years. It is also a sign that he's willing to learn something new and try it. Again, that is a trait that a lot of people can't bring themselves to do and keeps a lot of people from getting better.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Which indicates that Dabo isn't to prideful to change. Much like Coach Saban did a few years ago with finally starting to implement RPO concepts after getting hosed by them for several years. It is also a sign that he's willing to learn something new and try it. Again, that is a trait that a lot of people can't bring themselves to do and keeps a lot of people from getting better.
Think we're on the same page but with different thoughts. Dabo was willing to change because he was on the verge of getting fired. That change of coaches and philosophy can be seen as the reason for the turnaround at Clemson.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Think we're on the same page but with different thoughts. Dabo was willing to change because he was on the verge of getting fired. That change of coaches and philosophy can be seen as the reason for the turnaround at Clemson.
Dabo was definitely on the "hot seat" before the change. I used to work for a clemson grad and it wasn't that long ago, he was wanting Dabo fired.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
The single "issue" with Swinney was very simple..................he was losing games to South Carolina.

Everything else was on the upswing.

Lost 5 in a row, then things changed.

Big time.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is Dabo's only HC gig. CNS learned at multiple stops and has 20 years seniority. Dabo's losses (Clemsoning) was simple him learning on the job.

He's still learning. I woudn't trade him for CNS, but I'd be happy if he follows him in about 10 years. There's no question he's the #2 best coach in the country, hands down and it's not close.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.