Tua's status for the 2020 draft - according to NFL Scouts

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Despite the numbers over the course of the season, I do not think Alabama's defense was one of the better units in the SEC at all, especially by the end of the year.
Yep. They regressed after LSU/ Miss. State. Couldn't get off the field against WCU. Let a bad Auburn team hang around for 2 1/2 quarters. Then the last three games were easily the worst three consecutive defensive performances by a Bama team since the 2007 season, even taking into account the level of the competition. Except for the first quarter against Oklahoma and a couple of late stops against Georgia, the D was putrid, with the exception of QW, and even he seemed to disappear for stretches.

But I expect the D to be way better this year, even without Q.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yep. They regressed after LSU/ Miss. State. Couldn't get off the field against WCU. Let a bad Auburn team hang around for 2 1/2 quarters. Then the last three games were easily the worst three consecutive defensive performances by a Bama team since the 2007 season, even taking into account the level of the competition. Except for the first quarter against Oklahoma and a couple of late stops against Georgia, the D was putrid, with the exception of QW, and even he seemed to disappear for stretches.

But I expect the D to be way better this year, even without Q.
QW “disappeared” for stretches because he was getting double/triple/quadruple teamed (held).

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
With all due respect to Kurt Warner all QB's struggle when they're getting hit and things aren't perfect. I mean, that's what defenses are supposed to do hit or hurry the QB so he makes mistakes.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
With all due respect to Kurt Warner all QB's struggle when they're getting hit and things aren't perfect. I mean, that's what defenses are supposed to do hit or hurry the QB so he makes mistakes.
Tua should do really well in the NFL since it is a penalty to tackle the QB in the NFL. (only half blue font)

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
But let’s not forget Tua struggled against the good defenses! [insert all of the eye rolls here]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just my opinion, but I honestly think his only outright subpar/bad game of the whole year against a 'good defense' was against UGA.

I don't blame him either because he was playing on a High Ankle Sprain nearly the whole time. I mean it's insane how long he stayed in the game with that.

If he stays close to 100% healthy all year he will torch everyone, including the 'Good Defenses'.

I don't think the talking heads realize how hard he works.... He will have learned from the Clemson game where they changed coverages and baited him.

I really think we see Tua start to 'complete and polish' his game this year including checking down more often when deep shots are covered.

If Tua can set the NCAA record for QB Rating in Year One facing SEC level competition, then heaven help our opponents this year.

I can't wait to see all the detractors eat plate-fulls of crow this coming season.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Acknowledging Harry Gilmer as a #1 pick is the same as acknowledging Joe Namath as the #1 AFL pick. Neither league was really heads and shoulders over the other and it wasn’t until the merger that the NFL became the NFL. It’s why many non Packers, Bears, and Browns fans will never let them hold mythical championships over everyone’s heads.
They still had a playoff system to determine those championships though.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
FWIW Todd McShay did his first mock for 2020 and had 7 Bama guys in the 1st round.

1. Tua - Dolphins
2. Jeudy - Cardinals
10. Terrell Lewis - Bills
14. Raekwon - Vikings
22. Ruggs - Colts
24. Leatherwood - Cowboys
25. Diggs - Eagles

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
FWIW Todd McShay did his first mock for 2020 and had 7 Bama guys in the 1st round.

1. Tua - Dolphins
2. Jeudy - Cardinals
10. Terrell Lewis - Bills
14. Raekwon - Vikings
22. Ruggs - Colts
24. Leatherwood - Cowboys
25. Diggs - Eagles
This is exactly what was mentioned (about Tua) when they announced that Josh Rosen trade to the Dolphins during the draft. They said he's a one year experiment and if it doesn't go well the Dolphins would take Tua as the #1 pick.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They still had a playoff system to determine those championships though.
We might as well count Yale national championships while we are at it if we are going to count what amounts to AFC and NFC championship games.

The issue is that neither league was near as good, but these 3 teams try to justify that they are better than the Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, and 49ers who have won 41% of the titles since the merger. The Packers, Bears, and Browns have been to 6 championships collectively in 53 years. It more screams that these teams got worse when the merger happened. It just makes no sense for a Packers fan say “15 championships!!!” To a Patriots or Steelers fan and it really mean anything other than desperation.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think one thing that needs to be kept in mind is, we all can acknowledge the phenomenal talent of Tua and still point out areas in which we believe he needs to improve. As superior of a talent as he is, he still has areas he can improve upon. And yes, even with a high ankle sprain, he needs to learn to make adjustments according to his injury. It's part of the game and things athletes who decide to play with injuries/nicks and bruises have to deal with and adjust to.

My college baseball coach used to tell us "If you tell me you can play, then you're going to be held to that when I put you in the lineup. Your injury/ailment isn't going to be used as an excuse." So basically, if we were going to use our ailment and injury as an excuse then we shouldn't have been in the line-up in the first place.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think one thing that needs to be kept in mind is, we all can acknowledge the phenomenal talent of Tua and still point out areas in which we believe he needs to improve. As superior of a talent as he is, he still has areas he can improve upon. And yes, even with a high ankle sprain, he needs to learn to make adjustments according to his injury. It's part of the game and things athletes who decide to play with injuries/nicks and bruises have to deal with and adjust to.

My college baseball coach used to tell us "If you tell me you can play, then you're going to be held to that when I put you in the lineup. Your injury/ailment isn't going to be used as an excuse." So basically, if we were going to use our ailment and injury as an excuse then we shouldn't have been in the line-up in the first place.
Don't agree with the last sentence. If injured he still offers the best chance to win, he should have played. Also remember that Jalen was struggling with his own injury at the time.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Don't agree with the last sentence. If injured he still offers the best chance to win, he should have played. Also remember that Jalen was struggling with his own injury at the time.
If, as an athlete, you're dealing with an ankle issue yet you still decide to play, you have to make adjustments to your game. I'll use myself as an example that I experienced several times in my life. I was a middle infielder, fast, line drive hitter, dang good base stealer. I rolled an ankle (several times in my baseball life) yet played. However, during those games I made adjustments to my game according to my ankle injury. When I got on base, I wasn't as aggressive as I normally was because I knew I wasn't capable. Or, if I hit one in the gap I wasn't as aggressive about taking extra bases. If I were to try to do things at 90% that I only could do at 100%. I would have become a liability to my team.

That same mentality translates to other sports- A normally very mobile quarterback has an ankle issue that has limited his mobility. Yet, he still has to play. Knowing this, mental adjustments must be made by the quarterback so he doesn't become a liability to his team. "I can't hold the ball as long I normally do because I don't have the explosiveness in my ankle to get out of the pressure". This is where I saw Tua's lack of maturity, on and off, during the season when he was dealing with his nicks and bruises. There were times he continued to try to do things his "healthy self" could do while having a bum ankle. That's on him. That's what my college coach meant when he said "If you tell me you can play, your injury isn't an excuse." And I think he was completely spot on.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That's typical coach speak.

Explaining why a guy didn't play up to his normal level is not an excuse. Pretty much given a player at 100% does not equal to the same player at 90%.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
That's typical coach speak.

Explaining why a guy didn't play up to his normal level is not an excuse. Pretty much given a player at 100% does not equal to the same player at 90%.
The coach expects the player to adjust his game to his level of injury to rationalize still putting him in the line up. If his adjustment to his injury doesn't still make him better than the second string guy. Then he doesn't play. But the player has to be honest with the coach about the degree of the injury and his ability to "play through it". It's not hollow coach speak. It's why a lot of times coaches (as I think Coach Saban and staff does) put the nicked up player through pre game drills to see for themselves whether he can go. We did the same thing during pre game warmups in baseball.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The coach expects the player to adjust his game to his level of injury to rationalize still putting him in the line up. If his adjustment to his injury doesn't still make him better than the second string guy. Then he doesn't play. But the player has to be honest with the coach about the degree of the injury and his ability to "play through it". It's not hollow coach speak. It's why a lot of times coaches (as I think Coach Saban and staff does) put the nicked up player through pre game drills to see for themselves whether he can go. We did the same thing during pre game warmups in baseball.
It is my opinion that Tua simply never received proper training in how to avoid contact when his mobility is limited (throw the ball away). Without training and repetition players struggle. That gap was on the coaches. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

He did much better at this in the spring game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It is my opinion that Tua simply never received proper training in how to avoid contact when his mobility is limited (throw the ball away). Without training and repetition players struggle. That gap was on the coaches. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

He did much better at this in the spring game.
I have no clue about that. I know going from some of CNS's sideline reactions when Tua held the ball too long indicates he was at least told. I can recall times when Tua held the ball too long, was pressured and the limitation of the ankle came into play. Resulting in CNS having a nuclear melt down on the sideline screaming "THROW THE BALL AWAY!!!!".

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.