Kennedy Announced Retirement from Supreme Court (Kavanaugh nominated)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Kennedy Announced Retirement from Supreme Court

I'm just hanging on and hoping John Roberts is pushed left by this at least on some issues. My uncle worked with him at Hogan and while he disagrees with Roberts on a LOT of issues he still has a ton of respect for him. Called him the most intelligent person he has ever met along with another lawyer he worked with. I just can't help but feel dread about the direction of court from here on out.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

http://reason.com/blog/2018/07/10/scotus-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-on-the-fo

The Fourth Amendment was added to the U.S. Constitution to protect Americans from facing unreasonable searches and seizures by the government. Yet according to Judge Brett Kavanaugh, Donald Trump's nominee to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy on the U.S. Supreme Court, the Fourth Amendment suffers no violation when the federal government engages in the wholesale warrantless collection of every Americans' telephone record metadata.
Kavanaugh expressed that view in the course of a 2015 statement concurringin the denial of rehearing en banc in Klayman v. Obama, which was then before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. The case centered on the constitutionality of the National Security Agency's controversial information-gathering program, which involved the NSA collecting the telephony metadata of all Americans. "In my view," Kavanaugh wrote, "the Government's metadata collection program is entirely consistent with the Fourth Amendment."
Ugh...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Because apparently he believes it only applies to law enforcement and information that would be used in court.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Do you see any mention of court of law or law enforcement? I don't.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

OK, so Kavanaugh is VERY pro-business. Was the only dissent in a case that ruled that SeaWorld violated safety standards, resulting in the death of Dawn Branchau in 2010 (see the documentary Blackfish for details). (There's a good overview on Vanity Fair, but there's a little language, so no link.).

It's one thing to say that the trainers knew the risks; but in this particular case, SeaWorld did not inform the trainers that they were working with an animal that had killed two other people at a different park.

I suspect we may be hearing more about this particular case.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

OK, so Kavanaugh is VERY pro-business. Was the only dissent in a case that ruled that SeaWorld violated safety standards, resulting in the death of Dawn Branchau in 2010 (see the documentary Blackfish for details). (There's a good overview on Vanity Fair, but there's a little language, so no link.).

It's one thing to say that the trainers knew the risks; but in this particular case, SeaWorld did not inform the trainers that they were working with an animal that had killed two other people at a different park.

It seems he was the dissenting opinion on quite a few big cases

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

unfortunately, i don't think it will matter much. they are noble folks, just going where the law takes them

link

"It might be fair to ask whether TransAm's decision was a wise or kind one. But it's not our job to answer questions like that. Our only task is to decide whether the decision was an illegal one."

Gorsuch was demonstrating his firm belief in the principle that the actual words of a law should be strictly applied by the court. This doctrine, often referred to as textualism, stands for the proposition that it is up to the legislature to make the law and is up to judges to strictly apply the actual words of the law.
Gorsuch maintained that the actual words of the statute in question would only back the driver when he was "operating" both the cab and the trailer as a single unit. Obviously, he couldn't "operate" the truck and trailer together and drive away for help and warmth because the brakes on the trailer were frozen. The other judges on the 10th Circuit were willing to apply a dollop of common sense and give the driver the benefit of the doubt.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

I think you are just not framing it right. He isn't pro-business. He is anti killer whale. How can you not like someone who is so obviously tough on fish on fish crime? Jon you want to go soft on literal KILLERS. You can't deny it! ITS IN THEIR NAME!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I think you are just not framing it right. He isn't pro-business. He is anti killer whale. How can you not like someone who is so obviously tough on fish on fish crime? Jon you want to go soft on literal KILLERS. You can't deny it! ITS IN THEIR NAME!
Whales are mammals.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

Whales are mammals.
Thank you for pointing this out to me. I have plenty of fish friends. Some of them are even black fish. I never would have imagined in a million years that I was a fishist, but the evidence is clear. I need to reevaluate my life.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I have plenty of fish friends. Some of them are even black fish. I never would have imagined in a million years that I was a fishist, but the evidence is clear. I need to reevaluate my life.
Recognizing your own fishism is the first step to being a better mammal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.