Link: Orange Bowl rep to NIU: We didn't even want you here

The Orange Bowl wants to make money and NIU being in the game is going to make that almost impossible. I agree that NIU followed the rules that were set up, but it is easy to see how the Orange Bowl is disapointed that they were the bowl that got stuck with them.

The rules are changing anyway, but the Big East should have been the entity that was penalized for this, not the Orange Bowl.
Incredibly hard to follow the logic of "impossible to make money" when the Orange Bowl committee is also getting the bank from the Alabama/Notre Dame game.

I'm confused as to how Wisconsin being in the Rose Bowl justifies Northern Illinois's inclusion in the Orange Bowl. Did you ever consider that neither one deserves to be there? You seem to be arguing that since Northern Illinois didn't do anything wrong, they deserve to be in one of the four top bowls. No one here is saying they broke the rules. But NIU clearly is not one of the top 10 teams in the country. No one thinks that. You don't think that. That's why they don't deserve to be there. The rules governing the BCS are foolish and reward mediocrity.
Why are we acting like this is some new concept? The BCS rules were NEVER designed to place the top 8/10/etc. teams in the remaining bowls. Even before the major conferences let the middle ones in to keep from getting increased scrutiny, it was never designed that way.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Probably didn't do anything but speak the (perhaps alcohol-aided) truth. But that's not the sort of thing a host should say to a guest. NIU guy should've said "We didn't make the rules, you guys did. So shut up. Where's my check?"

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm confused as to how Wisconsin being in the Rose Bowl justifies Northern Illinois's inclusion in the Orange Bowl. Did you ever consider that neither one deserves to be there? You seem to be arguing that since Northern Illinois didn't do anything wrong, they deserve to be in one of the four top bowls. No one here is saying they broke the rules. But NIU clearly is not one of the top 10 teams in the country. No one thinks that. You don't think that. That's why they don't deserve to be there. The rules governing the BCS are foolish and reward mediocrity.
THIS

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You are putting words in my mouth (or in my posts). I am not justifying the one with the other - simply pointing out that this system put several very bad teams in BCS bowls this year. Everyone is focused on NIU. That is absurd. They had a better season, and are ranked significantly higher than the Big East or B1G representative. The travesty is not that NIU made it, but that Louisville and Wisconsin made it.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You are putting words in my mouth (or in my posts). I am not justifying the one with the other - simply pointing out that this system put several very bad teams in BCS bowls this year. Everyone is focused on NIU. That is absurd. They had a better season, and are ranked significantly higher than the Big East or B1G representative. The travesty is not that NIU made it, but that Louisville and Wisconsin made it.
"The system" didn't put Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. The transgressions of Ohio St. and Penn St. did.

Players prefer competing against the best but I guess some don't understand that.
I seriously doubt if you were to ask any player on Florida's team... they'd say they were victims because they're having to play Louisville. They might not like the fact they're in the Sugar Bowl (a valid complaint), but the concept of them being victims is laughable.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
"The system" didn't put Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. The transgressions of Ohio St. and Penn St. did.
So you blame the BCS for letting in one team with which you disagree, but give it a pass with the other two? Okay.

He's just saying they are victims of a system that made them play Louisville when they are the #3 team in the nation. Most competitors I know want to play the best.
Then they should have won one more game. Simple fix.

They finished third... one spot behind the only two spots that matter. Sucks for them, but, frankly, that's their problem. It's not like they got relegated to the Music City Bowl.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I seriously doubt if you were to ask any player on Florida's team... they'd say they were victims because they're having to play Louisville. They might not like the fact they're in the Sugar Bowl (a valid complaint), but the concept of them being victims is laughable.
So how can you say they would not have rather played a top team or their fans paid to see a better game?

Wait, so only the national championship should actually have the best teams in it? And people wonder why the bowl matchups are so bad. I fail to understand how Florida losing a game means that they shouldn't play a better team in the Sugar Bowl. They earned a Sugar Bowl matchup, and they deserve that matchup to be against a quality opponent.
I'm saying the BCS was designed for that very purpose: To pit #1 and #2 against each other. You can have all the impressions about the system you want, but the fact remains it was never designed to do anything past getting the top two teams together.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.