Will Blazer's Comments Get Any Traction (about Bama football)?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A little discussion about this in the basketball corruption thread (start here). No reason at this point to expect anything to come of it. The UNC case he referenced was handled by the NCAA a few years back. He doesn't provide names, so it's hard to know if the NCAA has already ruled on some of what he alluded to.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Depends on the statue of limitations and the overall power of the NCAA. But it’s a little worrisome that the words Alabama football and pay for play are linked in a federal court testimony

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Twitter was quite entertaining last night about this, especially about how some of the schools weren't getting much for their money, especially Pitt.:biggrin:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Depends on the statue of limitations and the overall power of the NCAA. But it’s a little worrisome that the words Alabama football and pay for play are linked in a federal court testimony
I get the feeling this was stuff that may have already been addressed, with folks discussing the UNC situation, I feel more confident that it is.

I do believe that stuff like this will become even less transparent over time. As long as institutions like Nike, Under Armor, and Addias are involved, I don't see how it goes away any time soon. JMO

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
As long as you have college athletes who may one day turn pro...and need agents...this will go on. Doesn't mean the schools knew about it or did everything they could to stop it. Just means that it is a reality of collegiate athletic life in the "money sports."

Saying the payments stopped in 2014 is interesting...or at least not admitting to anything beyond that. Just beyond the statute of limitations. Sounds like the testimony was designed to stir the pot without getting the schools into trouble.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
If it’s 5 years, then it does......... of course with the NCAA, who knows
Yup... NCAA has the disclaimer they can go back as far as they want to prove a pattern of wrong doing. I'm not worried about Blazer's comments but....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hate that he mentioned Alabama, but I am not worried. First, he has not named players and there is no infraction without names. Second, the statute of limitations has passed, and they would need something significant to bypass that.

That said, Blazer said that he wired the money to the players, so there would be a clear paper trail if this is investigated by the courts. That is the kind of stuff that we don't need further damaging the sport that we love.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get the feeling this was stuff that may have already been addressed, with folks discussing the UNC situation, I feel more confident that it is.

I do believe that stuff like this will become even less transparent over time. As long as institutions like Nike, Under Armor, and Addias are involved, I don't see how it goes away any time soon. JMO
AAU basketball is the dirtiest game in town. I think we might see the 7 on 7 become as bad.

Anyone at this point that believes that many elite college players ( to include those at Alabama) are just coming for a quality education, a chance at a title, and a shot at the pros is either naive or just holding onto their beliefs that college sports are pure.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
AAU basketball is the dirtiest game in town. I think we might see the 7 on 7 become as bad.

Anyone at this point that believes that many elite college players ( to include those at Alabama) is either naive or just holding onto their beliefs that college sports are pure.
A few years ago 7 on 7 looked to be getting near AAU levels, but it seems to have died down. Now it's mostly just high school teams rather than travel teams.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
IIRC, these dates fall outside the NCAA's statute of limitations.
It does.

Not it to mention the fact that there’s no real evidence here.

But I’ll say this: I absolutely believe him when he said Bama players got paid. At the same time, he could have named any school in the conference. Anyone entertaining any notion of purity with regard to any major CFB program is living in fantasyland. I’m not throwing stones from my glass house.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It does.

Not it to mention the fact that there’s no real evidence here.

But I’ll say this: I absolutely believe him when he said Bama players got paid. At the same time, he could have named any school in the conference. Anyone entertaining any notion of purity with regard to any major CFB program is living in fantasyland. I’m not throwing stones from my glass house.
Don't you know? Every school is cheating but (insert favorite school name here). All of these players are turning down money from everyone else to go to (insert favorite school name here) for free.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
When in doubt just throw Bama's name out there so someone will pay attention, LOL. I completely understand that this is a guy testifying under oath, but I still have a hard time believing he is doing anything other than throwing names out there without proof to enhance his testimony. The LSU fans are spreading this like crazy, because obviously having Alabama Football mentioned in a trial is just as egregious as having your basketball coach caught on tape buying players by the FBI.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wonder what a program is expected to do when they hear something like this. Are they required to investigate?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I wonder what a program is expected to do when they hear something like this. Are they required to investigate?
I'm sure that's what is expected, but what can a school do without more information? Where does one start if the only information is "I gave money to player(s) at ________ during this time period."

bamabill123

Scout Team
Dec 9, 2018
investigate what? 10 years old crap. NCAA usually does not investigate stuff over 4 years old. Paper trail? I'm not so sure, he says he has no reciepts for these wires. I would have keep those for sure. OK, who does this involve? can't say? why not? My biggest red flag is that this is part of a plea deal to mitigate jail time. This smells, could be true but i'm doubting it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.