Link: ACA holding...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Although he hailed it, this comes under the category of "be careful what you wish for." The lesson of the midterms was not learned...

CNN

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Although he hailed it, this comes under the category of "be careful what you wish for." The lesson of the midterms was not learned...

CNN
I'll never understand how anyone can advocate removing a policy without having a replacement policy in hand for consideration.

We really need to fix the ACA, not replace or remove it.

Idiots......

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think the judge is a fan of Medicare for all, because that’s what’s coming. He started the ball rolling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Well yes, Trumpcare is doing nothing to control costs.
Nothing, not even ACA, addressed the costs of insurance; the credits helped some pay for it, but by leaving out the “ public” option, the insurance companies charged whatever they wanted.
I heard they weren’t increasing premiums this year ( they don’t want Medicare for all), but since I’m on Medicare now I don’t know what the coverages are.
Now, while medical care costs are still increasing, the rate of increase has been slowed. I believe in states that expanded Medicaid, their costs are actually going down; not certain of the numbers.
But this argument has been had ad nauseum: if everyone in the country is not required to have insurance, insurance companies will charge the chronically ill exorbitant (read: unaffordable for most) premiums. Without a “ public” option to force them to keep costs down ( which will tick off their shareholders), they’ll charge as much as they can get people to pay.
Without the ACA, there will be no affordable insurance for many people.
Personally, I think health insurance was another scam Nixon created to repress the middle class. All about the rich getting richer.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, free housing, free phones, free food and affordable health insurance...if only our founding fathers had a clue.
I worked in Big Pharma for 11 years. Long enough to get a nice pension out of it.

Our CEO would cry all the time whenever health care reform came up. Why? Because that would interfere with his mega benefits. And even at my level on the totem pole, we had Cadillac health and dental, 10-15% bonuses every year.

When I was made redundant by the company, the first time I went to pay for a non-formulary prescription, I about stroked. I had been used to paying $15 co-pays, but a 30 day supply was $700 or more.

Those guys are making hand over fist money. Which is why we will never have legitimate health care reform until we start looking at who benefits from our broke healthcare system.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I worked in Big Pharma for 11 years. Long enough to get a nice pension out of it.

Our CEO would cry all the time whenever health care reform came up. Why? Because that would interfere with his mega benefits. And even at my level on the totem pole, we had Cadillac health and dental, 10-15% bonuses every year.

When I was made redundant by the company, the first time I went to pay for a non-formulary prescription, I about stroked. I had been used to paying $15 co-pays, but a 30 day supply was $700 or more.

Those guys are making hand over fist money. Which is why we will never have legitimate health care reform until we start looking at who benefits from our broke healthcare system.
Big Pharma is raping us...literally. I have a lady at work with family in Mexico...I keep a nice supply of anti-biotics and allopurinol on hand that cost me about 1/5 of what I'd pay at CVS.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Big Pharma is raping us...literally. I have a lady at work with family in Mexico...I keep a nice supply of anti-biotics and allopurinol on hand that cost me about 1/5 of what I'd pay at CVS.
I am ok with my current plan as long as there are generics available. One you venture into the name brands, a lot of insurance companies don't carry them, and you get killed.

I never had to worry about any of that when I was on Merck's plan.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
That said...the cost of heath care is way too high. Is anyone talking about that, rather than insurance?
I don't think anyone is, are they? I don't even see it being discussed. Not that I am being critical of the media or anything.... ;)
Nope, everyone thinks the problem is insurance coverage and not the amount we actually pay.
It's been discussed for many, many years. The ACA didn't touch healthcare prices, it just shifted costs from consumers to the government and insurers. The GOP plans also won't touch prices; they'll just shift costs back to consumers.

The solution is to have a central body negotiate prices with hospitals and drug manufacturers rather than our current, absurd system of regionalized insurer negotiations. That's how every other advanced country handles it, and that's why an MRI costs twice as much here as in Switzerland, and common cancer drugs like Avastin cost 10x more in the US than in the UK. Our current healthcare market is already divided, which makes it easy to conquer. And that's exactly what they've done.

But the solution is basically government-run healthcare (at least in part), which many people (mostly Republicans) have been conditioned to fear. So to be frank, folks need to either embrace the solution or stop complaining.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm 64, semi-retired. I collect rents for an income, and have qualified for tax credits through the ACA for several years, it has been great for me. This year, a storm blew a neighbor's tree onto one of my rental units, demolishing the duplex. I am now without that income it was bringing.

The insurance company paid me what it was covered for, which my accountant then said put me over the income limit to receive any tax credits. The insurance company insisted insurance claims were not taxed as regular income, and would not jeopardize my health insurance coverage, but my accountant disagreed.

My monthly payment went from $245 to $1295, and I will be expected to reimburse the difference this spring for any payments made at the reduced rate over the year. A $13,000 swing.

The ACA now tells me I made a mistake reporting the insurance payout as income, and should appeal it. My next question, if my appeal goes my way, will it be reversed when the taxes are filed? I know that question seems insane but it's actually relevant in my situation. So I try to clarify with the IRS, and am told they won't address that question until next year, in January.

The one thing that is clear to me...with the ACA marketplace assistance my monthly premiums were $245 per month. Without, $1295. All my Republican "friends" voted to end the ACA, which would have cost me an additional $13,000 per year for my 63rd and 64th year before becoming eligible for Medicare. That's a $26,000 total they wanted me pay because of nonsense they heard on Fox news.

The ACA is a flawed system, I hope the GOP continues to pay a price for trying to tear it down rather that improve it. The evangelical support for Trump and his desire to strip health care from so many millions is something I will never understand.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
It's been discussed for many, many years. The ACA didn't touch healthcare prices, it just shifted costs from consumers to the government and insurers. The GOP plans also won't touch prices; they'll just shift costs back to consumers.

The solution is to have a central body negotiate prices with hospitals and drug manufacturers rather than our current, absurd system of regionalized insurer negotiations. That's how every other advanced country handles it, and that's why an MRI costs twice as much here as in Switzerland, and common cancer drugs like Avastin cost 10x more in the US than in the UK. Our current healthcare market is already divided, which makes it easy to conquer. And that's exactly what they've done.

But the solution is basically government-run healthcare (at least in part), which many people (mostly Republicans) have been conditioned to fear. So to be frank, folks need to either embrace the solution or stop complaining.
if you are sick enough to need healthcare, that should incentivize you to work harder so you can afford it

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm 64, semi-retired. I collect rents for an income, and have qualified for tax credits through the ACA for several years, it has been great for me. This year, a storm blew a neighbor's tree onto one of my rental units, demolishing the duplex. I am now without that income it was bringing.

The insurance company paid me what it was covered for, which my accountant then said put me over the income limit to receive any tax credits. The insurance company insisted insurance claims were not taxed as regular income, and would not jeopardize my health insurance coverage, but my accountant disagreed.

My monthly payment went from $245 to $1295, and I will be expected to reimburse the difference this spring for any payments made at the reduced rate over the year. A $13,000 swing.

The ACA now tells me I made a mistake reporting the insurance payout as income, and should appeal it. My next question, if my appeal goes my way, will it be reversed when the taxes are filed? I know that question seems insane but it's actually relevant in my situation. So I try to clarify with the IRS, and am told they won't address that question until next year, in January.

The one thing that is clear to me...with the ACA marketplace assistance my monthly premiums were $245 per month. Without, $1295. All my Republican "friends" voted to end the ACA, which would have cost me an additional $13,000 per year for my 63rd and 64th year before becoming eligible for Medicare. That's a $26,000 total they wanted me pay because of nonsense they heard on Fox news.

The ACA is a flawed system, I hope the GOP continues to pay a price for trying to tear it down rather that improve it. The evangelical support for Trump and his desire to strip health care from so many millions is something I will never understand.
the cruelty is part of the appeal.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Yes, if you qualified for the credits, the ACA was great. Problem is that most middle class folks don't qualify for the credits. My premiums doubled during the fist year of the ACA through my employer insurance program. The open market was even more expensive because I didn't qualify for the credits. So, from my point of view, the ACA sucks.

I do agree that support for Trump and the stripping of heath care by his base is odd because, their are probably plenty of them benefiting from the ACA credits.

I have no clue what would fix health care in this country. I like reading well thought out post from people offering ideas. When Obama was pushing the ACA, I was 100% against government run health care but, I think I'm now leaning more towards that because nothing else has worked. All I know is that the insurance companies need to go away because they are the ones ruining the system. The only reason hospitals charge tens of thousands of dollars for a multi-day stay is because of the insurance companies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.