Would Saban take Sal Sunseri back?

crimsonman38

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2003
Holly Pond, AL
If Kirby Smart took an offer as a Head Coach. Do any of you think Saban would consider bringing Sal Sunseri back as DC? I know he had a rough season at 10rc, but they don't have the talent or the know how to run the 3-4 defense.:BigA:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think he'd become DC. He took the UT job because he didn't have a future as DC here. Of course, I guess things could have changed. Would you be happy with him at DC after his UT stint?

crimsonman38

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2003
Holly Pond, AL
I would love to have him back on the staff, but I see no openings. I for one think Kirby last name fits him - Smart. Why take a dead end job when you will be one of the highest paid assistants in college football.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
It depends on their relationship imo, much more so than the OC. So it depends on what Coach Saban sees in Sal and if he believes they could work together.

bmfcox

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
No not happy as a DC. NO, no, no. UT was Horrible on defense regardless of talent, depth or any other excuse.

bmfcox

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
I would love to have him back on the staff, but I see no openings. I for one think Kirby last name fits him - Smart. Why take a dead end job when you will be one of the highest paid assistants in college football.
$,$$$,$$$

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
I would like him back as a position coach. Its hard to tell if he's really that bad as a DC. He's trying to run Saban's defense with a bunch of awful players at Tennessee.

bmfcox

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
I would like him back as a position coach. Its hard to tell if he's really that bad as a DC. He's trying to run Saban's defense with a bunch of awful players at Tennessee.
So UT defense is all on the players?

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
If Kirby Smart took an offer as a Head Coach. Do any of you think Saban would consider bringing Sal Sunseri back as DC?
I have connection to someone that covers Alabama Football. It's a name pretty much everyone on Tide Fans knows. He told me Sal will never be DC at Alabama as long as CNS is our head coach. He said CNS views Sal as an excellent position coach and recruiter. He went on to say that Sal knew this, Dooley offered him the DC coordinator position at Tennessee and a raise so Sal took it.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Tennessee is #109 in total defense. It doesn't really matter that it's his 1st season. He will either have to prove himself at a smaller school or go back to position coach, which probably pays as much as a tenured Professor :)

RankNameGamesPlaysYdsAvgTDsYdspgmWinsLossesTies
1Alabama
127192804 3.9014 233.671110
109Tennessee
129235656 6.1353 471.33570

Cr1msoN4life

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
A coordinator fits his scheme to his talent. Did he do that at UT?
He had NO talent, so the scheme was irrelevant:) I for one think Sal would make an awesome Hire as DC, He is a proven winner, and anyone that was labeled assistant head coach by saban , has to have the credentials necessary to be a good coordinator. He is also familiar with the system, the players, and would make for an easy transition. I for one think it makes total sense.

BamaBoots

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Rocket City
If he only goes as position coach somewhere can he afford the pay cut? It might be time for a nice two year vacation. That's if he had a three year contract.:BigA::):BigA:

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
He had NO talent, so the scheme was irrelevant:) I for one think Sal would make an awesome Hire as DC, He is a proven winner, and anyone that was labeled assistant head coach by saban , has to have the credentials necessary to be a good coordinator. He is also familiar with the system, the players, and would make for an easy transition. I for one think it makes total sense.
It's not going to happen at Alabama under CNS. He may well end up back at Alabama as a position coach, but it won't be as DC. It has nothing to do with Sal's results as DC at UT. Sal was never going to be DC at Alabama under CNS. :)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think he should come back in and take the same position he had when he left... :wink:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.