What to expect in 2012

UA94

Nov 7, 2011
Montgomery, AL
While we wait for the next game, I was wondering what to expect for next year.

What kind of team do you think we will have? I know lots of things could happen, players leaving, coaches possibly doing the same. But big picture-- any glaring weaknesses?

UA94

Nov 7, 2011
Montgomery, AL
I guess the question stems from wondering why Auburn keeps using the excuse of being "young" while having Top-5 recruiting classes for a couple of seasons now.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think we will still be a quality team, top 10 in my opinion. The worst defense since the first year Coach Saban arrived was obviously last year, yet we still could have easily won in all of our 3 losses, similar to how we could've beaten LSU this year but didn't make the plays to do so. AJ will be far improved and he's only gotten better as the season has progressed thus far, Lacy will be a great runner I believe, if Trent does decide to go pro. Tough to tell exactly at this point, but this coaching staff has taught me to be nothing but optimistic about our chances.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
When will A Day be played I know it is usually mid April but when will they give date?

We are going to need kickers, punter, Offensive Line tight ends and wide receivers

Defense ill be great even with the ones we lose.

The way our coaches try to keep the D as fresh as possible they are building next years stars all along.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
i actually think the O-line will be ok...the Kouandjio brothers will be back in action Cyrus was coming along real well befor his injury..and there is a chance barret jones might be back..also being injuried the last few games may have hurt his draft status (not that im wishing this on him of course, absolutley not but it might be the case) also i think i heard someone on here say he was working on his masters, so if thats the case, thats a big reason to stay.

i agree the tight end position is something we will need to work on...but what we lose in that we make up with stronger receiving core. duron carter will finally see the field and bell, carter, and norwood will be back along with some of the great guys we have recruited.

the kicking game.....yeah i don't think i can say anything that hasn't already been said by everyone else. XD

Defensively we could get alot of help from some juco guys at Cornerback we are recruiting...linebacker and saftey concern me even with vinnie stepping up and mosley and johnson (i think) coming back....if we can get some solid play from whoever replaces chapman at noseguard, Our D line could be sick with williams, dial, and square being back.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think LSU will be picked to win the west based on what they return. That being said, we'll be a top ten team that will get stronger as the year progresses ,we've got a lot of very talented young ones that have had playing time.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I expect 10-2. I'm woried about LSU, Michigan, Georgia.
Lsu...yes....georgia (depends on who they lose and/or are they gonna get lazy because richt is off the hot seat?) michigan........until BIG ten it can prove anything other than being the sec's whipping boy.....im not gonna be sweating to much. (not saying michigan couldn't be a problem first game out of the gate).

SimplyTide

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I think that we will be as talented as any team in the nation and have a great chance at another BCSCG.

gladIam4UA

1st Team
Feb 2, 2002
It all depends on whether or not we keep our OC and DC. A change in one of those rolls would be a bit of a disruption for the Saban machine.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Are we for certain playing Georgia next year? I know they were next up on the rotation, but will that change with the expansion? I'm assuming A&M/Missouri will be permament rivals, but someone has to have Missouri for their rotating opponent next year.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
Offense

QB- With a year of experience under his belt, I expect AJ to perform really well. He should have a lot more freedom much like McElroy did his second year.

RB- There is still a possibility TR stays for his senior year, but for right now, let's assume he leaves. EL is very capable of carrying the workload, and I'm sure Hart and Fowler will get plenty of carries.

WR- Carter adds a big, physical threat at WR. Bell, White, and Norwood are all back, and we could even see some newcomers get playing time.

TE- I hate losing Brad Smelley. He has been a nice surprise this year. But Williams returns, and we've still got some of young guys like Harrison Jones and Brian Vogler.

OL- We return Warmack, Steen, Fluker, and possibly even Barrett Jones on the OL. If Jones does return, he will take over for Vlachos at center. If not, we're gonna need some young guys to step up. CyKo will probably take over at LT regardless of what B.J. decides to do.

Defense

DL- We should be fine here. Square, Williams, and Dial will all be back. We lose Chapman, but Ivory can step in or even possible JUCO signee Daniel McCullers.

LB- We lose 3 of our 4 starting LBs with Nico returning. With as much as Moseley plays, you can count him as a returning starter too. Adrian Hubbard played a lot this year, and although he can't fully replace Upshaw, he should be fine at Jack. Xzavier Dickson could see time as well.

CB- Milliner, John Fulton, and some possible JUCO guys will replace Menzie and maybe even Dre if he leaves.

S- I think Lester will be back for another year, and I have full confidence that Sunseri can replace Barron.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Really cant say much other than we will be a good team. I think we are at the point talent wise that we will compete for a championship every year. May slip up and lose a game or 2 or 3 but we will have a team that can beat anyone. If AJ can become the QB some think he can the sky can be the limit

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Are we for certain playing Georgia next year? I know they were next up on the rotation, but will that change with the expansion? I'm assuming A&M/Missouri will be permament rivals, but someone has to have Missouri for their rotating opponent next year.
At the moment, we're not even sure how many conference games we'll be playing.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Offense

QB- With a year of experience under his belt, I expect AJ to perform really well. He should have a lot more freedom much like McElroy did his second year.

RB- There is still a possibility TR stays for his senior year, but for right now, let's assume he leaves. EL is very capable of carrying the workload, and I'm sure Hart and Fowler will get plenty of carries.

WR- Carter adds a big, physical threat at WR. Bell, White, and Norwood are all back, and we could even see some newcomers get playing time.

TE- I hate losing Brad Smelley. He has been a nice surprise this year. But Williams returns, and we've still got some of young guys like Harrison Jones and Brian Vogler.

OL- We return Warmack, Steen, Fluker, and possibly even Barrett Jones on the OL. If Jones does return, he will take over for Vlachos at center. If not, we're gonna need some young guys to step up. CyKo will probably take over at LT regardless of what B.J. decides to do.

Defense

DL- We should be fine here. Square, Williams, and Dial will all be back. We lose Chapman, but Ivory can step in or even possible JUCO signee Daniel McCullers.

LB- We lose 3 of our 4 starting LBs with Nico returning. With as much as Moseley plays, you can count him as a returning starter too. Adrian Hubbard played a lot this year, and although he can't fully replace Upshaw, he should be fine at Jack. Xzavier Dickson could see time as well.

CB- Milliner, John Fulton, and some possible JUCO guys will replace Menzie and maybe even Dre if he leaves.

S- I think Lester will be back for another year, and I have full confidence that Sunseri can replace Barron.
Great run down. I think Tana Patrick and Trey DePriest will be big contributors at the LB position, and Ha Ha will definitely see some serious PT in the secondary. I think Geoffrey Pagan, and from some of the buzz coming from practice, even DJ Pettway may be in the DL rotation. Marvin Shinn and Christian Jones should get a look at WR, and may see some K/P return duty as well.

The biggest spots to fill are going to be for Upshaw, Hightower, Barron, Menzie and possibly Kirkpatrick on defense, and Maze, Hanks, Smelley, Vlachos and, of course, Trent on offense. The think the offensive guys can be replaced sufficiently, and think the running game will be strong, even without Trent. I think the play of whomever replaces Upshaw, Hightower, and the DB's is going to be crucial to determining whether we are really good team or a great team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.