Off-Season QB Thread (Tua and the #2)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I honestly have doubts that either ever start here.
I think Taulia might be caught up in a storm of expectations, which could work against him.

Tyson is the one I'm most intrigued with right now. Maybe it's because we just saw Trevor Lawrence, but Tyson is build much like him. With Tyson, it'll depend what he brings "between the ears" as he adjusts from a Gus type offense to ours. Physically, however, he may be the best built QB we've ever had on campus.

*Tyson will have expectations too, being the grandson of you know who, but Taulia's sitation hits a little closer to home with Tua being his older brother.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Mac will definitely be #2. Mac is a better quarterback than some here realize. The problem is, when Bama has Tua and Jalen, you don't play much. But Mac can hold his own. He doesn't have the arm strength of Tua or Jalen, but he can pass. I have complete confidence in Mac.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Mac will definitely be #2. Mac is a better quarterback than some here realize. The problem is, when Bama has Tua and Jalen, you don't play much. But Mac can hold his own. He doesn't have the arm strength of Tua or Jalen, but he can pass. I have complete confidence in Mac.
Throw in the fact that he's a returning starter on 'Bama's celebrated fake FG unit, and he's convincingly earned every bit of that confidence

SEC play looked (way) too fast for Mac last year, even as the proverbial mop-up game manager QB, but maybe his third year is the charm for getting on the field as a little more qualified No. 2.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
SEC play looked (way) too fast for Mac last year, even as the proverbial mop-up game manager QB, but maybe his third year is the charm for getting on the field as a little more qualified No. 2.
I thought he handed off pretty quickly most of the time. It’s tougher to fully judge his 7 pass attempts however.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
For the first time in several years, we don't have any questions about the starter going into the off-season.

The only question regarding Tua is how the change of coordinator will affect his growth and his ability to make better post-snap reads. Feel free to discuss this.

The bigger question in my mind is who will emerge as the #2 after spring and fall camp. Not only will he probably get plenty of PT next year, but he'll also likely emerge as the heir-apparent going into next year's off season.

I know Taulia is going to be likely considered the front-runner, but I think Tyson is going to be hard to stay in front of. I love his big-body and sneeky athleticism. I'm also uncertain about Taulia's shoulder rehap and even if he'll go thru spring workouts.

FWIW, I wouldn't be shocked to see them both get fair amounts of PT next year possibly within the 4 game redshirt limit or even beyond to set up an epic battle for 2020.

EDIT: Forgot about Mac Jones...where does he fit in? Does he get lost in the shuffle? Are Taulia and Tyson guys with a higher ceiling?
I would guess in game #1 that Mac will be the #2 QB.
That could change after a couple of games, depending on how well Paul and Taulia pick up on how we play. Last year at A-day Mac looked better than he did the rest of the year.
One reason: Mac didn't have the starting receivers and starting line in front of him...
I've watched Taulia and Paul, and IMO they both have a higher upside than Mac.
Time will tell. Wasn't long ago we had a QB look great at A-day, Didn't make #1, and transferred out ASAP.

If this last year only taught us one thing it should be that Injuries can put #2 on the field in one play. I don't know if we can keep all of our Qbs, but we really really need two or three, this coming season. I know young guys can get impatient, but we have had Qb's enter the Twilight Zone when they left our team...

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
How important is Mac's (or anyone's) time in the system since we'll have pretty much a complete new offensive staff? Seems like that would make it easier for one of the younger guys to make a move.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How important is Mac's (or anyone's) time in the system since we'll have pretty much a complete new offensive staff? Seems like that would make it easier for one of the younger guys to make a move.
It is not just time is a specific system, but time spent with a real QB coach. Learning to move around in the pocket, step into passes, where/how to hold the ball as you make your reads, how to get the ball out quickly when you decide where to go with it - there are a ton of mechanical things that you learn when you get to this level. Until you do them over and over again, you have to think about them to get them right. You don't want your QB thinking about them when he is practicing plays, much less in a game.

Even with Sark as OC, many plays will remain the same. Knowing those plays and the progressions, and having actually gone through the progressions helps Mac. Knowing where everyone is supposed to line up, and how to move them around before the snap is very important. But you are right - aside form the mechanics, the new plays will be new to everyone, including Tua.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree, but I think that Mac transfers if he is beat out for the starting job next year (2020). I think that he transfers this year if he isn't solidly the #2.
I agree with B1G on Mac Jones. As for Taulia and Tyson, one will transfer sometime in the next two years, unfortunately it is the way things are in CFB.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The way #13 plays, and the hits he takes, the #2 could be the #1 early in the year. I think it should be a priority to work on keeping #13 healthy all season! For that reason I think we don’t run as many plays that will put him at risk for injury!
I think Mac is clearly the #2 going into fall camp. That said, Tyson was on campus for bowl practice and will be there for Spring and Fall camp! I think that helps! I don’t know the advantage Taulia has being around big brother . I’m sure Tua has shared info with him regarding practice , qb meetings , etc. I think PT has given himself every opportunity to come in and be the #2, don’t think it will be enough. He needs a little more seasoning. Problem is , will there be enough snaps in mop up duty for 3 QBs? I don’t think so!
Someone brought up Beck, and this is a recruiting question so I don’t want a discussion, but do we have a decent shot at landing DJ Uiagalelei(6-4,240 Somoan descent) . If so, that would make things interesting!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hope he develops into a great QB for Bama, but that video doesn't impress me
Yeah, that video is terrible. No pass rush, bad footwork, no progression reads - just hitting guys on slant patterns. But there are better videos of him out there. He looks like he could be very good.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Beck was Florida's Mr Football as a junior this year. He led his team to the 8A state championship against a lot of tough competition. He will be very good.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would guess in game #1 that Mac will be the #2 QB.
That could change after a couple of games, depending on how well Paul and Taulia pick up on how we play. Last year at A-day Mac looked better than he did the rest of the year.
One reason: Mac didn't have the starting receivers and starting line in front of him...
I've watched Taulia and Paul, and IMO they both have a higher upside than Mac.
Time will tell. Wasn't long ago we had a QB look great at A-day, Didn't make #1, and transferred out ASAP.

If this last year only taught us one thing it should be that Injuries can put #2 on the field in one play. I don't know if we can keep all of our Qbs, but we really really need two or three, this coming season. I know young guys can get impatient, but we have had Qb's enter the Twilight Zone when they left our team...
Two things:
1. I agree about the two freshmen having higher ceiling than Mac Jones. My thinking as to why one of them may eventually ascend to the #2.

2. We've been extremely lucky with QB injuries until last year. I can't remember the last time we lost a starter to sit multiple games. Last time I remember losing one for a season was bad-knees Brodie. But, you are correct that #2 is one snap away just like they say about the VP being one heart beat away from the Presidency.

Beck was Florida's Mr Football as a junior this year. He led his team to the 8A state championship against a lot of tough competition. He will be very good.
HS competition these days is a good indicator. That's why I think Taulia and Tysen have the potential to move up the DC fast. 7-A ball in Bama is nothing to sneeze at. 8-A in UF is some steep competition too.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
From what I have read this Carson Beck kid is the real deal. Hard to tell in highlight videos in general but he apparently turned around a 2-8 high school team and lead them to their first ever state title in football.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch one of his games on tv or something. But from the little I watched of him on Hudl he looked promising.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
From what I have read this Carson Beck kid is the real deal. Hard to tell in highlight videos in general but he apparently turned around a 2-8 high school team and lead them to their first ever state title in football.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch one of his games on tv or something. But from the little I watched of him on Hudl he looked promising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCJ26EcH28o

watch the throws at 12:35 and 12:44

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.