What % do you think obesity contributes to the health problems in our country? (ETA - and why is rucking the best answer? :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We have hit the greenway hard over the last week putting in 19 miles since last Tuesday. Getting ready for a fall hiking group which will involve some hill climbing at a moderate pace in the foothills around Huntsville. The weather puts some serious stress on the body and my feet are letting me know it is time for some good shoes with some more room.
if you are walking/hiking/running a lot, it is well worth it to spend the $ on good shoes and socks.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My wife's a die-hard Hoka fan. I was a Saucony guy but recently switched to Brooks Adrenalines and really like them, especially the wide toe-box, which is a blessing when rucking long miles.

I don't necessarily think there's any collusion going on, but it's interesting that all these shoes price about the same ($130-150 price range)...
when i was still trail racing a lot, the hokas started showing up. every one i talked to who ran in them loved them. i always do my trail running in lower-profile, minimal cushion shoes because my ankles tended to roll on rocky terrain if the shoe is too high, so never tried the hoka.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My wife's a die-hard Hoka fan. I was a Saucony guy but recently switched to Brooks Adrenalines and really like them, especially the wide toe-box, which is a blessing when rucking long miles.

I don't necessarily think there's any collusion going on, but it's interesting that all these shoes price about the same ($130-150 price range)...
This is the shoe I am currently looking at. I am liking what I see so far.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I wear each pair out in about 2-3 months (350-500 miles), but man, they are comfy. I buy an extra pair as daily wear shoes then rotate them into rucking shoes when my last pair wears out.
I normally walk 10-15 miles per week, so I think I would probably get at least a year plus out of the Adrenalines.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
so i have finally gotten back to mountain biking regularly in 2019 which has been great. it had been almost 20 years since i was riding regularly. i have been averaging about 3 rides per week since march (several miles of nice single track 10 minutes from either work or house.)

my wife gave me the go ahead to buy a new bike this fall. i am currently riding my old ('94) hardtail with a re-furbed front suspension and it's still holding up ok. a lot has changed since i stopped riding and i am psyched about getting a new bike and am finally going to give in and get a dual-suspension rig. currently looking at the below

i lucked out and found a brand new, never ridden one of these on ebay this week for a significant amount below it's sales price. it arrives next tuesday. interestingly enough, this is the first time i have ever used ebay.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
i lucked out and found a brand new, never ridden one of these on ebay this week for a significant amount below it's sales price. it arrives next tuesday. interestingly enough, this is the first time i have ever used ebay.
Nice find!

I've not priced real road bikes in a number of years, but I recall being astonished at the cost of a 'middle of the road' real bike a while back. You can drop some serious coin in a hurry on those things!

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Nice find!

I've not priced real road bikes in a number of years, but I recall being astonished at the cost of a 'middle of the road' real bike a while back. You can drop some serious coin in a hurry on those things!
I have a couple of buddies who are big into mountain biking and spare little expense on their hobby. Ed told me one time that his great fear is that when he dies his wife will sell his bike for what he told her he paid for it. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have a couple of buddies who are big into mountain biking and spare little expense on their hobby. Ed told me one time that his great fear is that when he dies his wife will sell his bike for what he told her he paid for it. :D
you can quickly get to $10k + on mountain bikes when you start getting into carbon fiber and titanium and the higher end components.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
you can quickly get to $10k + on mountain bikes when you start getting into carbon fiber and titanium and the higher end components.
I don't doubt it. These guys have some nice toys .... and the injuries to go along with them. After a second collarbone break, I asked Ed if he realized that he was spending a small fortune just to get injured. I added that for half price, I would club him about the head and torso. ;)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I follow a integrative cardiologist, Dr. Joel Kahn, who promotes preventive lifestyle management. Recently he published an article on a broad study on health effects on the time of day (morning or evening) when blood pressure medications were taken. The results of the study provide a strong indication for taking of BP meds at bedtime vs am. A summary of the study is here:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nigh...PipNrow6Saq8l1J6e_J2pEAQDG5ISDJ_oD45sr7NBz2z0

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Not about teeth, but back to the diet discussion. I am still doing the 16 off and 8 on eating and have lost 10 pounds. I am still walking 5 days a week, but am having lower back problems when I walk outside. No pain when I walk on the treadmill. Any thoughts why one hurts my back and the other doesn't ?
Gray are you still doing the intermittent fasting? I know you’ve had a lot on your plate since your wife was hospitalized.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
*bump*

So, in May of 2019 I started tracking my daily kcal intake via the myfitnesspal app and logging my daily exercise routine. Though I stopped powerlifting a few years ago I still enjoyed lifting weights, but decided to go to pure rucking and calisthenics in order to avoid further joint injuries - and to burn off the fat accumulation that generally comes with power lifting.

Today is my 533rd consecutive day of tracking both food (weighing portions) and exercise, and I'm down 80.8# (that's an average weight loss of 1.06# per week over that time). I'm currently at 199.0#, the first time i've been below 200 since the late 90's.

Not posting this to boast, but rather to encourage folks to make the decision to get healthy, find what works for you wrt weight loss and fitness, and STICK WITH IT. It takes a while to pack on pounds and it takes a while to melt them off. But it's worth it. #dothework #everyday #stayfocused #gethealthy

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
*bump*

So, in May of 2019 I started tracking my daily kcal intake via the myfitnesspal app and logging my daily exercise routine. Though I stopped powerlifting a few years ago I still enjoyed lifting weights, but decided to go to pure rucking and calisthenics in order to avoid further joint injuries - and to burn off the fat accumulation that generally comes with power lifting.

Today is my 533rd consecutive day of tracking both food (weighing portions) and exercise, and I'm down 80.8# (that's an average weight loss of 1.06# per week over that time). I'm currently at 199.0#, the first time i've been below 200 since the late 90's.

Not posting this to boast, but rather to encourage folks to make the decision to get healthy, find what works for you wrt weight loss and fitness, and STICK WITH IT. It takes a while to pack on pounds and it takes a while to melt them off. But it's worth it. #dothework #everyday #stayfocused #gethealthy
Awesome job!

I also use myfitnesspal to track my caloric intake vs. calories burned. I sync it with my Garmin Connect account to add calories burned through exercise each day. I totally agree with your keys - stay focused and make it a priority. Think of it as an investment in your health (mental and physical) that pays off for a lifetime.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, I Garmin Connect with it as well - makes that aspect effortless. The hard part is relentlessly entering your kcal intake, but that aspect is more important than even the exercise, imo.

Reactions: B1GTide

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I don’t exercise as much. I do walk a lot more than I used to. I make an effort to walk as much as possible. Park further away. Take the stairs. But I’ve also controlled my calorie intake, and I’ve cut out sugar completely. I’ve lost 45 pounds. Now sitting at 210. And I’ve been here for about three months. I’d like to get to 200, actually 199. But outside of going crazy in the gym, not sure what else I can do. We’ve gone to purely proteins, veggies, fruit.

Outside of ibuprofen, Neither of us take any medication. I haven’t had a cold the entire time, And I haven’t had a Tums in months. I do miss things like bread, cookies, etc. But not enough to take years off my life. So it’s worth it

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I don’t exercise as much. I do walk a lot more than I used to. I make an effort to walk as much as possible. Park further away. Take the stairs. But I’ve also controlled my calorie intake, and I’ve cut out sugar completely. I’ve lost 45 pounds. Now sitting at 210. And I’ve been here for about three months. I’d like to get to 200, actually 199. But outside of going crazy in the gym, not sure what else I can do. We’ve gone to purely proteins, veggies, fruit.

Outside of ibuprofen, Neither of us take any medication. I haven’t had a cold the entire time, And I haven’t had a Tums in months. I do miss things like bread, cookies, etc. But not enough to take years off my life. So it’s worth it
Hang in there and dont give up on your goal!(y)

Reactions: B1GTide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.