News Article: Phil Savage Steps Down as UA Radio Color Analyst

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
[video=youtube;moF7Z2ggAo4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=182&v=moF7Z2ggAo4[/video]
How not to do a radio broadcast.
I lost all respect for Stan White during that segment...total embarrassment showing his blind homerism.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They call ALL the games that way. It really makes you realize just how good our radio team is. There's no question who they're rooting for, but they never get into this sort of nonsense.
I suspect that they are providing what the fans demand. In Columbus, the fans expect a similar homer POV. It is really hard to listen to.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Wow. Couldn’t finish it. I had never heard any part of an Auburn broadcast before (besides the occasional TV cut out of the guy from the Vienna Boys Choir squealing about a play or “touchdown auburn”). Never again.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
They call ALL the games that way. It really makes you realize just how good our radio team is. There's no question who they're rooting for, but they never get into this sort of nonsense.
I suspect that they are providing what the fans demand. In Columbus, the fans expect a similar homer POV. It is really hard to listen to.
Yep! Anything less than blind homerism and burning hatred for "Big Brother" is unacceptable to the West-Opelika CULT.
Honestly, it would be sad, if it wasn't so PATHETIC......

It's why Navid Nousel, [EDIT] the, at one time, evil "person", was so popular down there.

(Sorry!!!)

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Another name someone at work mentioned that I hadn't given much thought: Jay Barker. He's been out of work since his WJOX morning show was not renewed. I thought he was bad for sports talk radio because he's too deferent when the very structure of the show was meant to feed into the Iron Bowl rivalry. Being able to unburden himself from having to play nice may allow him to find his voice on radio. He's a bad sports talk guy but maybe a top notch homer color commentator?

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Another name someone at work mentioned that I hadn't given much thought: Jay Barker. He's been out of work since his WJOX morning show was not renewed. I thought he was bad for sports talk radio because he's too deferent when the very structure of the show was meant to feed into the Iron Bowl rivalry. Being able to unburden himself from having to play nice may allow him to find his voice on radio. He's a bad sports talk guy but maybe a top notch homer color commentator?
My vote is for Rob Ezell. He would be a hoot in the booth, maybe do some CNS impersonations.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
Personally I'd prefer to see/hear Chris Stewart. I like him, he's passionate about Alabama and he already has a good raport with Eli. If Eli is comfortable with you, I think that's a huge plus. I'd say he's earned his stripes on the pay-per-view, & then as the sideline reporter. No he's not really the sexy-big-name-splash-hire, but I'd like to think that Alabama fans would readily accept him in the booth alongside Eli, especially, since he's probably on the short list to replace Eli, whenever that is necessary...(hopefully not for another 30 years or so ;)). I'd actually prefer him over Barker, Schultz, JPW, or any of the others.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Cecil didn't name any of the three names in contention for Phil's job, but did say the hiring could come by the end of the week, and tells why he thinks that. Good article.

The best college commentators don’t have to talk over every single play, but when they do have a point to make, they should be able to back it up, sell it and, when the occasion arises, come back and expand on it. If it is a former Alabama player — probably a good bet — mix it in with relevant experiences.
Click for article.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Personally I'd prefer to see/hear Chris Stewart. I like him, he's passionate about Alabama and he already has a good raport with Eli. If Eli is comfortable with you, I think that's a huge plus. I'd say he's earned his stripes on the pay-per-view, & then as the sideline reporter. No he's not really the sexy-big-name-splash-hire, but I'd like to think that Alabama fans would readily accept him in the booth alongside Eli, especially, since he's probably on the short list to replace Eli, whenever that is necessary...(hopefully not for another 30 years or so ;)). I'd actually prefer him over Barker, Schultz, JPW, or any of the others.
Chris is a play-by-play announcer like Eli. The color analyst is typicially an ex-player who has good knowledge of the game so I don't see Chris taking the position. Chris will be a great replacement for Eli when he retires.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I heard an interview with Mike Johnson from media days, and he said he had definitely put his name into the hat. I wonder how many others have?

My guess is it's going to be Tyler Watts, simply because he has been in the batter's box for so long.

rtr

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Nothing against Mike or Tyler, but for whatever reason, I suspect Barrett Jones.

Cecil suspects some news before practice starts on Aug. 2nd, so, at any rate, I guess we'll know in roughly a week or less.

bamajas

1st Team
Oct 5, 2005
Jasper, AL
Nothing against Mike or Tyler, but for whatever reason, I suspect Barrett Jones.

Cecil suspects some news before practice starts on Aug. 2nd, so, at any rate, I guess we'll know in roughly a week or less.
Of the three, I would prefer Barrett, but I wonder how his jovial, even semi-sarcastic, approach at times would work with Eli. I think he'd be incredible with Chris down the line, but Eli seems very straight-up and particular.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.