Spurrier Comment

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
It's interesting to me that Spurrier was at least approached. At least it gives me hope that that this coaching search will be more productive and we will finally get a good coach.

Why is it ironic that Alabama fans would want a proven winner and a coach who is widely considered an offensive genius. I would LOVE to see Spurrier at Alabama. My only concerns would be, at his age, how long will he be willing to stick around. As for Spurrier's reasons to consider the job, it would be a much better chance at a national title, something USC is probably not ever going to offer. The expectations would be higher, but I don't see Spurrier backing away from a challenge. Plus, he could still stick it to Fulmer every year.

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA
I agree, people seem to forget that CSS was one of the ones to turn our program in for violations during the Debose era.
Spurrier did not turn in Alabama. Unlike Fulmer, Spurrier actually handled the situation in the manner specified by the SEC Office. He contacted the coaches at Alabama and then contacted the SEC Office. He didn't skip all of that and go straight to the NCAA (I don't think he went to the NCAA at all) and volunteer to be a "secret witness."

rollntider

All-SEC
Jun 10, 2001
Bessemer AL 35023
www.blindsideblitz.com
it appears no one has a link for the Spurrier denial (that happens today) He may later deny it, but supposedly he is in Florida recruiting. I wonder if he flys back to tuscaloosa on the way back to be announced then goes and says bye to his players?

Besides if Spurrier did turn in Dubose, did we really want Dubose cheating? So are you more mad at Spurrier for finding out we cheated? or Dubose for cheating... I find it ironic we talk about class and get mad at spurrier for complaining we cheated once upon a time. Its water under the bridge....move along...

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I have no inside info from Columbia concerning Spurrier other than he is fairly adamant in every interview he does that he is not leaving USC. Said the only way he would leave is if the President and AD ran him off. Interpret that how you wish.

I will say that money is not the issue with SOS (he is financially comfortable) USC initially offered him $2 million to coach the Gamecocks and he TURNED IT DOWN for less money, said to take the extra and pay his assistants. Still, USC should be giving him a substantial raise this year. Spurrier came to Columbia for the challenge. He likes the fact that the trophy case is fairly empty (much like Florida's was). He seems very passionate about turning USC's long-time mediocrity around. The fan base and facilities are in place and/or are on the way, and with lowered expectations he has time to build the program the right way. Take his 2-year record at USC (7-5, 7-5) and put him in Tuscaloosa and they'd be running him out of town.

Never say never, but as Jesse said in his overview, this one is very unlikely.

One wild card might be the opportunity to coach with Bill Oliver if he could be added to the package. For some reason Spurrier is obsessed with teaming with the former Bama assistant. He offered him the USC DC job last year and there are already rumors that he will pursue him again this season. But overall a SOS move to Bama (or Miami, or NCSU, or...) is not likely.

37bamagrl

All-American
May 6, 2003
Foley, AL
well i know i'm in the minority, but i WOULD have a little trouble getting used to the idea of the visor being at bama.....i could not stand him when he was at florida...never liked him.....can't help it.....i would be a little confused if he became our coach. besides his age concerns me too, i don't see him coach till joepa's age.

talisitider

All-SEC
Jan 24, 2003
Tallassee, AL
Spurrier might be telling the truth. Spurrier has already tried the new challenge thing and was probably humbled somewhat by his experiences in DC. He's probably content at South Carolina and does not want to try the challenge or opportunity route again. He has South Carolina headed in the right direction and they simply love him there. At his age (not that he's old, but he's not a spring chicken either) he's probably satisfied with the challenges and at the same time simplicity at USC.

I live in Johnson City TN, Steve Spurrier home town. Most of his family lives here and all I have heard on the radio is that a press confrence will be held and it could not be confirmed if they would anounce if there would be a new coach named. Spurrier name was brought up but they believe he is happy at SC. I would love to have Spurrier but I am confused we will just have to wait and see.

Rainmaker27

1st Team
Oct 21, 2006
Does Spurrier's winning percentage negate his whining after losses or just make it that much more prevalent, beefcake?
I believe it was your post that suggested Spurrier was a "whiner" to the exclusion of (as opposed to in addition to) being a winner--a ridiculous statement, to say the least.

As for his conduct after games, I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. Either way, I suppose you'd prefer him to say "we're close...just have to execute better" and generally sound like a man who's been neutered.

NOSty

Suspended
Nov 23, 2002
Houston, Texas
I believe it was your post that suggested Spurrier was a "whiner" to the exclusion of (as opposed to in addition to) being a winner--a ridiculous statement, to say the least.
Someone could win all year long, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy or like them or their antics. See Auburn or aTm. Sore losers and even sorer winners.

As for his conduct after games, I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. Either way, I suppose you'd prefer him to say "we're close...just have to execute better" and generally sound like a man who's been neutered.
Yes, I would. Just suck it up and coach. After all, he is the "ole ball coach" who's the greatest the game has ever seen. Why whine?

Rainmaker27

1st Team
Oct 21, 2006
Someone could win all year long, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy or like them or their antics. See Auburn or aTm. Sore losers and even sorer winners.

Yes, I would. Just suck it up and coach. After all, he is the "ole ball coach" who's the greatest the game has ever seen. Why whine?
Again, it appears you're confused. Nobody's suggested that you have to "like them or their antics." Rather, I simply responded to your initial suggestion that Spurrier wasn't a winner.

Can you give me some examples of the type of "whining" to which you keep alluding?

bamar

1st Team
Mar 31, 2003
tullahoma, tn usa
talk about ironic, all those probation years looking for a coach, and no one to be found. then we got the great franchione, price, and the only two left in the land was croom and shula. the right choice was made, and we hired a honest, strong character type coach, who recruited exceptionally well. lacked head coach experience, but, gee being an alumni, whose heart bleeds crimson, i am sure he was promised time to develop a strong team under the dreadful conditions. and golly, after 3 years one big winning year, two others well, not up to tide fans standards, so lets get rid of a good coach and man, because we want to win now and every year. no rebuilding years. those days are gone. look around and see all the coaches having a down year every few years. well, you reap what you sow, and i am waiting to see what great coach is ready to pack up and go to alabama. i wonder how many of the good recruits mike got will move on as well. especially the qbs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.