New Coach Speculation

nivekstan

1st Team
Dec 9, 2005
Rising Fawn, GA
Re: Are there any Pro Coaches that are on the prospect list?

I really haven't heard his name mentioned anywhere, but Steve Mariucci would be a good fit from the pro ranks. He was considered a rising star at Cal before jumping to the Niners. And our chances of getting him would be pretty good, considering he is unemployed right now.
i don't think that marriucci's players have ever had to walk a fine line with him. in other words, he is lacking in the discipline dept. which is apparently the exact opposite of what is needed.

Yellow Hammer

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 23, 2006
Re: New Coach Speculation (merged; keep thoughts on the topic here!!!

Are you kidding me? Have you seen Paul Johnson's credentials? I would assume the only way you could have possibly come up with your opinion is because you haven't seen his list of accomplishments:

*2 National Championships(Back to Back) and 1 National Runner-Up

*5 Consecutive Conference Championships

*Holds the NCAA 1-AA record for a 39 game home winning streak!

*52 Wins in 4 seasons-the most ever in all of the NCAA!

*4th Coach ever in NCAA history to win 50 games in 4 years!

*National 1-AA Coach of the Year(4 Straight Years!)

*Took over a winless team and had them in a bowl game in 2 seasons. This is only the 6th time to ever happen in NCAA history!

*Historic Accomplishments at what was a perennial loser in Navy, including 3 consecutive bowl games for the first time in Navy history.

*Tied a school record 10 wins in a season. Last time this was done at Navy was 1905! It is somewhat likely they will get 10 wins again this year.

*Prior to his arrival, Navy had only 2 winning seasons in 20 years.

*Knows how to dominate rivals. 4-0 versus Navy's top rival Army.

*Winner of the Commander-In-Chief's Trophy for 3 straight years by sweeping the other academies! Clearly dominates like competition!

*Top Rushing Offense in the Country at Navy!

*Versatile coach. Coached both successful high power passing offenses and rushing offenses.

*His high powered, record-breaking passing offense at Hawaii earned him top

*WAC OC honor. Hawaii was WAC champions for the first time ever during his OC tenure. Also was OC at Navy with the spread offense, breaking 5 school records.

*Western Athletic Conference Offensive Assistant of the Year Award recipient and Sporting News Top 10 Assistant Coach Honoree

*Well rounded coach. Defensive minded, as well as offensive minded. Former defensive line coach at GSU.
Yeah i've seen his credentials and he still doesn't have enough experience in division 1 to warrant getting the Bama job.

Put it in perspective. If Tubby Smith were fired would Kentucky seriously consider former Kentucky Wesleyan coach Ray Harper? He won two national championships!!

Well of course they wouldn't.

This is a serious and extremely important decision for MM to make. He needs to bring in a winner like Spurrier to bring the top recruits in. A guy like Johnson isn't going to register with the top prep stars.

BamaFan1961

All-SEC
Oct 26, 2005
Hayden, Al
Re: New Coach Speculation (merged; keep thoughts on prospects here!!!

Spurrier press conference denying interest in the Bama HC job

Spurrier: I have not been contacted about the head coaching position at Alabama and I have not been offered a contract for......what was it they were offering?

Someone from the audience: three million a year for ten years.

Spurrier: Right...so I am announcing that I have just accepted the head coaching position at Alabama!

:biggrin2:

dabaxter

1st Team
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah i've seen his credentials and he still doesn't have enough experience in division 1 to warrant getting the Bama job.

Put it in perspective. If Tubby Smith were fired would Kentucky seriously consider former Kentucky Wesleyan coach Ray Harper? He won two national championships!!

Well of course they wouldn't.

This is a serious and extremely important decision for MM to make. He needs to bring in a winner like Spurrier to bring the top recruits in. A guy like Johnson isn't going to register with the top prep stars.

Get real!! Look at Ohio State hiring Jim Tressel from 1-AA Youngstown State. He was unproven at the Div 1 level. Paul Johnson is different in only 1 respect: He's already proven at the Div 1 level at Navy.
Proof:

1. Took over Navy after a winless season and had them in a bowl game in 2 seasons. This is only the 6th time to ever happen in NCAA history!

2. Prior to his arrival, Navy had only 2 winning seasons in 20 years.

3. Took Navy to 3 consecutive bowl games for the first time in Navy history.

4. Tied a school record at Navy with 10 wins in a season. This was done for the first time since 1905! It is somewhat likely they will get 10 wins again this year.

5. 4-0 versus Navy's top rival Army.

6. Top Rushing Offense in the country at Navy.

7. Winner of the Commander-In-Chief's Trophy for 3 straight years by sweeping the other academies

That's what I call proven!!

demopolite

Sep 19, 2006

I find it horrifying that so many Alabama fans actually seem to want Steve Spurrier as a new head coach! When Spurrier was at Florida, we (SEC fans) ALL hated him, even if we had to respect the fact that he was a good coach.

Why did we hate him? Because he had no class...and he had no dignity....and he had no loyalty. He goes to teams because he wants to accomplish a personal goal -- taking UF to its first championship, re-establishing the Redskins, taking USC to its first SEC championship.... But he did it in a bad way...he did it without style and class. He built a tradition of winning football games, but NOT being a WINNER.

THAT is why I'm absolutely disgusted that so many so-called Bama fans would just as soon scuttle tradition just to have a few wins. Doing so makes Alabama no better...and no different...a team than UF or LSU -- a team that wants to win games and doesn't care how they do it.

I'm not primarily a Bama fan, I have to admit. I'm an MSU Bulldog who graduated from Alabama, and who lives with a tried-and-true Bama fan. However, I have ALWAYS appreciated and respected Alabama's tradition of winning with class...a tradition that even filtered down into the fans' mindset.

Thus...I mourn the death of that tradition -- a tradition of class and character which was more important than doing anything to win a football game.

Additionally...before you get so hot on Navy, please remember that they are now being investigated for STEROID ABUSE. Is that they kind of guy you want to bring into a major program -- a guy who can't even keep SOLDIERS straight?

CrimsonVan

1st Team
May 30, 2005
Orlando, FL

I love the "There's no way" comments. Seems like I was hearing those about letting Shula go just a day ago...
We say there is "no way" a lot because there are so many "My inside, super-duper sources say Spurrier will 100% be coming" or "My super source said Saban is a lock for Bama" and other ridiculous comments every 5 minutes

dabaxter

1st Team
Nov 15, 2004

I find it horrifying that so many Alabama fans actually seem to want Steve Spurrier as a new head coach! When Spurrier was at Florida, we (SEC fans) ALL hated him, even if we had to respect the fact that he was a good coach.

Why did we hate him? Because he had no class...and he had no dignity....and he had no loyalty. He goes to teams because he wants to accomplish a personal goal -- taking UF to its first championship, re-establishing the Redskins, taking USC to its first SEC championship.... But he did it in a bad way...he did it without style and class. He built a tradition of winning football games, but NOT being a WINNER.

THAT is why I'm absolutely disgusted that so many so-called Bama fans would just as soon scuttle tradition just to have a few wins. Doing so makes Alabama no better...and no different...a team than UF or LSU -- a team that wants to win games and doesn't care how they do it.

I'm not primarily a Bama fan, I have to admit. I'm an MSU Bulldog who graduated from Alabama, and who lives with a tried-and-true Bama fan. However, I have ALWAYS appreciated and respected Alabama's tradition of winning with class...a tradition that even filtered down into the fans' mindset.

Thus...I mourn the death of that tradition -- a tradition of class and character which was more important than doing anything to win a football game.

Additionally...before you get so hot on Navy, please remember that they are now being investigated for STEROID ABUSE. Is that they kind of guy you want to bring into a major program -- a guy who can't even keep SOLDIERS straight?
An investigation does not constitute guilt by a coach, worst case the individuals.

On Spurrier, also recall, he taddled like a baby to the NCAA about DuBose.

crbama92

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2000
The South

Former ECU head coach Steve Logan has a talk radio show here in the Raleigh/Durham area, and this subject was just discussed on his show. Obviously there is no link to this, but he said on the air that he spoke to someone "close to the situation" that Alabama would be putting a compensation package together that would "cross your eyes".

Translation: They're going for the home run.

Again, no link to this since I heard it on the radio....maybe it's Logan ;)
I live in Raleigh also and enjoy listening to Coach Logan. Wonder if jumps at the WF job should Grobe end up somewhere else

Last edited:

brianhenderson

Scout Team
Sep 16, 2005

i wish he would come use us for his own personal gain.

demopolite

Sep 19, 2006

i wish he would come use us for his own personal gain.
Then why not just be a UF fan or an LSU fan?

Because apparently winning with an eye toward class, tradition, and character -- the ALABAMA WAY -- has no meaning to you. Only the numbers at the end of the season.

It's positively disgusting to see how far the fans and the team that I once respected have fallen.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

All your post shows is that you don't know much about Steve Spurrier. Yes he is arrogant, a little egotistical, & likes accomplishing personal goals, but overall he is a great football coach and a man of integrity. Don't confuse being a bit of a jerk with classlessness. Fans hated Spurrier at UF because he took a program with little historical success and made them the top program in the SEC. No one likes getting beat up on by your former red-headed step child.

The loyalty thing is a joke. Spurrier was loyal to Florida for years when he could have named his price to go to the NFL. He only left when he felt he had accomplished all he could there and felt burned out and wanted a new challenge. And Spurrier has been an NCAA rules poster child, adhering to the rules almost to a flaw. Spurrier does not tolerate misbehavior off the field among his players, he demands excellence. Did so at Duke, UF, and now at USC. At times Spurrier has been hard on his players & coaches this year, but he has also taken personal responsibility for every USC loss and has credited the players and assistants for every USC win.

Spurrier speaks his mind and is not politically correct when talking to the media. It makes many dislike him, but to be honest it is somewhat refreshing here in Columbia after Lou Holtz's.

...and speaking of Holtz, haven't seen his name thrown in the pot yet;)

CapitalTider

All-American
Jun 8, 2004
Vienna, VA

The loyalty thing is a joke. Spurrier was loyal to Florida for years when he could have named his price to go to the NFL. He only left when he felt he had accomplished all he could there and felt burned out and wanted a new challenge.
Not to mention that (much like our situation with Stallings) the AD at the time contributed greatly to Spurrier's departure.

...and speaking of Holtz, haven't seen his name thrown in the pot yet;)
Pray to heaven that we never do. We are still in the repeat offender window aren't we?

demopolite

Sep 19, 2006

Fans hated Spurrier at UF because he took a program with little historical success and made them the top program in the SEC.
No...fans hated Spurrier because he ran whining to the officials every time something didn't go right. Fans hated Spurrier because he couldn't enjoy his own accomplishments without trying to tear those of others down. Fans hated Spurrier because he didn't know how to "act right," and to keep his mouth shut when running it would serve no good. Fans hated him because he ran up the score against weak opponents to make himself look better (even though it only made him look WORSE in our eyes).

In short...fans hated him because he had no class. The greats didn't talk bad about other teams just to do it...the greats didn't have to run all over lesser teams to make themselves feel great.

The greats had class. Spurrier never has.

dabaxter

1st Team
Nov 15, 2004

Again, look at the facts, Spurrier's recruiting at SC has not been great, in fact lackluster. I think the name Alabama will carry plenty of weight! Once Johnson get's into place and starts winning, recruits will be soliciting to come to Bama.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

No...fans hated Spurrier because he ran whining to the officials every time something didn't go right. Fans hated Spurrier because he couldn't enjoy his own accomplishments without trying to tear those of others down. Fans hated Spurrier because he didn't know how to "act right," and to keep his mouth shut when running it would serve no good. Fans hated him because he ran up the score against weak opponents to make himself look better (even though it only made him look WORSE in our eyes).

In short...fans hated him because he had no class. The greats didn't talk bad about other teams just to do it...the greats didn't have to run all over lesser teams to make themselves feel great.

The greats had class. Spurrier never has.
Basically Spurrier had the nads to say what others were thinking. When Bobby bowden put a hit out on one of his players he called Bowden out on it. everyopne knew what happened, but it was taboo to say so, only Spurrier didn't play by the traditional rules. When UT fans & players totally disrespected UF fans & players and showed their own classlessness when Spurrier first arrived at UF, he responded by doing and saying what the rest of the SEC had been wanting to do and say for years. We all publicly thought his comments were classless, but inside we all were glad he had the guts to say them. When Ronnie Cottrell & FSU were using less than legal recruitingtactics against him while he kept to the rules, he spoke out even though the NCAA and national media were/are in love with Bowden & FSU and to speak against them in that way was NCAA heresy. When Cotrell moved to Bama and similar things started happening there, he spoke out again.

Lots of reasons fans hate Spurrier, few are truly as you claim.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.