11/26: Shula is out: Now what? {by JessN}

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Re: Shula is out: Now what?

As for who's making the hire, this is definitely a pressure position for Moore. I thought he made a great hire with Franchione, a poor hire with Price (for failing to backcheck Price's personal life) and neutral with Shula, given when we hired him and under what circumstances.
Agree on your assessment of all 3 hires, but it is worth mentioning that he completely bungled his handling of Franchione after he was hired. A better, more savvy AD would've sealed the contract deal with CDF before Texas A&M even came into the picture. Keeping CDF was very doable, just not with MM handling things. Of all Moore's good and bad things, this was probably his single biggest blunder at the Capstone IMO.

punchdrunkpanic

3rd Team
Aug 21, 2006
Columbus, OH
dmybama.wordpress.com

I am throwing myself into the head coaching search. My record speaks for itself. Over 7 seasons, I have won 7 SEC titles and 4 national titles... at Alabama.

Don't let the fact that I did this on NCAA 07 for XBOX 360 pursuade you in any way.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006

I am throwing myself into the head coaching search. My record speaks for itself. Over 7 seasons, I have won 7 SEC titles and 4 national titles... at Alabama.

Don't let the fact that I did this on NCAA 07 for XBOX 360 pursuade you in any way.
I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

mattmitchell8

Oct 25, 2005
Montevallo, Alabama, United States

Has anyone else seen this?

Mike Sherman; could he be the next Pete Carroll or Charlie Weiss? I know Dave Wannstedt at Pitt and Nebraska's Bill Callahan wanted to be, and though Bill may work out Dave's job is looking tougher and tougher (of course, it is Pitt).

There've been a lot of coaches who didn't work out in the pros but have excelled in college--even June Jones has had as much success as can be had at Hawaii.

What about it? I can't decide if I like it or not.

tripler

Suspended
Feb 6, 2003
ridgeland, ms usa

if they dont hire a BIG NAME VERY SOON, our univ of ala athletic dept has really screwed up. You cant fire Shula now and not be ready with a BIG NAME REPLACEMENT!!!! HOPEFULLY WILL KNOW WITHIN THE NEXT 48HRS.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

Agree on your assessment of all 3 hires, but it is worth mentioning that he completely bungled his handling of Franchione after he was hired. A better, more savvy AD would've sealed the contract deal with CDF before Texas A&M even came into the picture. Keeping CDF was very doable, just not with MM handling things. Of all Moore's good and bad things, this was probably his single biggest blunder at the Capstone IMO.
A&M was busy hiring Fran as early as October of that year possibly sooner. There were a couple of things in Fran's new contract that he wanted changed dealing with his buy out. There was a clause which could keep him from coaching anywhere for a length of time. That clause was removed and Mal wasn't the one who included it. Fran also kept up the ruse that he was focused on the season and would take care of the contract when the season was over. I think it was over in October. Mal did less bungling than the ones who were drawing up the contract.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

A&M was busy hiring Fran as early as October of that year possibly sooner. There were a couple of things in Fran's new contract that he wanted changed dealing with his buy out. There was a clause which could keep him from coaching anywhere for a length of time. That clause was removed and Mal wasn't the one who included it. Fran also kept up the ruse that he was focused on the season and would take care of the contract when the season was over. I think it was over in October. Mal did less bungling than the ones who were drawing up the contract.
Contract issues should've been settled before season started. All involved bungled it. Can't really separate the ADs role in it from others, unless of course he isn't really the one in charge;) .

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

Contract issues should've been settled before season started. All involved bungled it. Can't really separate the ADs role in it from others, unless of course he isn't really the one in charge;) .
New contract would have to be approved by the pres. & BOT before being sent to fran, so Mal really isn't in total charge. Also, as I said earlier, others had input in the contract wording.

RunBamaRun

1st Team
Jun 7, 2006

Turned out to be a smart move for francis, he is still employed has A&M improving to the point of beating Texas and giving his recruiting a shot in the arm. What a difference a few months make. At one time Coach Shula was in a much better position than fran, even with the sanctions.

Francis shouldn't have ran off in the middle of the night but he did save his career.

Tide64

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2004

Turned out to be a smart move for francis, he is still employed has A&M improving to the point of beating Texas and giving his recruiting a shot in the arm. What a difference a few months make. At one time Coach Shula was in a much better position than fran, even with the sanctions.

Francis shouldn't have ran off in the middle of the night but he did save his career.
How did he save his career? He would have probably had a better record here than he did his first three years at Texas A&M. He left because he didn't want to go through the problems of probation and ended up having just as many problems at aTm. He would be in just as good a position here now that we are coming out of the sanctions, would probably not have had to wait 4 years to beat the rival schools, and would not have lost to Oklahoma 77 - 0.

You seem to be making the assumption that he would have been fired as Shula was. I don't see how that leap can be made.

TN TIDER

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 13, 1999
Morristown,Tn.
Re: Shula is out: Now what? {by JessN}

I like Paul Johnson, good record everywhere he has been. Also we had success at one time with another man named Paul.

tripler

Suspended
Feb 6, 2003
ridgeland, ms usa
Re: Shula is out: Now what? {by JessN}

No paul johnson! the only way this move by the U of A makes any sense is to hire a REAL BIG NAME VERY SOON!!! Spurrier, Saben etc...Fingers and toes crossed that the really know what they are doing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.