Question: Positions of priority for 2015

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Reading the post about 15 running backs offered started me wondering what the positions we really need to fill particularly well. Other than running back. ; > )

I'm guessing inside LB and Safety. Maybe interior DT.

Over to you, recruitniks.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Offensive Tackle -- we'll look to add probably 2; outside of CR and DJ from 2014, everyone else is probably an interior player

Running back -- likely 2, but some of our targets here can play other positions (Kerryon Johnson can play almost anywhere)

Wide Receiver -- We lose at least 3 after 2014 (CJ, Coop, and White) so we'll likely look for 3+ here

Tight End -- we'll look to sign at least 2 imho.

Inside LB and Safety are definitely our biggest needs on defense. We always look to add people on DL, but I think we'll focus more on pure DE in '15 because we have guys like AShawn, Frazier, Smith and Dwight that can play on the inside.

I think the 2015 class will have a lot more skill players than linemen.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
It's a bit too early to really get into specifics, and as a general matter the composition of the class is still pretty fluid at this point, just because so much in terms of player development, attrition, injuries, and early departures for the NFL draft has obviously yet to happen as it relates to the 2015 season. That said, I think jps has a nice general summary above of where we will likely go.

For now, I think we focus heavily on safety, linebacker, and wide receiver. Offensive tackle will be a priority again just because that's the nature of the beast in the SEC, and we'll try to find another top QB prospect. We will nab a couple of tailbacks, and I hope a couple of more college-ready corners (i.e. not "athletes" or long-term developmental projects). The biggest X-factors for the time being in terms of class composition is where we are heading schematically at tight end (traditional end-of-line blockers v. hybrid types like Howard and Flournoy-Smith) and whether the staff is sufficiently satisfied that we've gotten sufficiently more athletic along the defensive line in the past two classes. My hope is that we sign three or four more DL who fit the "quick twitch" mold, in Saban's parlance, but not sure that will actually happen just yet.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Like who?
One or two of the QBs will most likely transfer. Morris, McLeod, and Bateman will see their position in the pecking order and make a decision on their future. Very unlikely they all stay.

Whoever leaves. There has to be a few. But this doesn't need to turn into another oversigning thread.
No one is making this into an oversigning thread.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
QB-1
RB-2
H-Back-1
TE-2
WR-3
OL-3
DL-3
DE-4
OLB-2
ILB-2
CB-3
SS-1
FS-1
If we sign seven defensive linemen in this class, that will be a sign that something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along the line. I also think you'll see those five defensive backs slated more towards safety than cornerback, but otherwise, I think that's a pretty solid pecking order.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
We're now at 21 commits. Assuming they stick, what are the positions we should or hope to fill the remaining 4 to 6 spots.
I'm guessing another LB, one WR, one TE, and one more DT. Won't even try to guess names. ;)

Other recruiting followers . . . what is your input? Thanks.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We're now at 21 commits. Assuming they stick, what are the positions we should or hope to fill the remaining 4 to 6 spots.
I'm guessing another LB, one WR, one TE, and one more DT. Won't even try to guess names. ;)

Other recruiting followers . . . what is your input? Thanks.
We don't have a OT in this class and this is a big priority. Isaiah Prince is a name to keep an eye on.

As far as WR I think Godwin, current GA commit, is our top target and some are saying if we don't get him to flip then Mixon out of Shades Valley may get the offer.

RammerJammer91

1st Team
Nov 27, 2012
Per BOL, Cowart cancelled his UF trip and will be in Tuscaloosa for the MSU game. Word is that he'll be in town for the Iron Bowl, too. Still a long way to go, but things are looking pretty good.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I realize that physical specimens like Mark Barron don't grow on trees, but I think we should take every single lock down corner that we can get. Seems we always have some that don't develop like we expect and we always end up short-handed at that position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.