Muslim Youth Group Cleaning Natl Parks During Shutdown

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

On a rainy Saturday in Philadelphia, as the partial government shutdown continued, volunteers picked up trash outside Independence Hall, birthplace of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Across the country, dozens of their colleagues in the Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association were doing the same at national parks closed or partially closed by the shutdown.

They cleaned up litter, emptied garbage cans and swept the grounds -- from the Everglades National Park in Florida to Joshua Tree, California and the Cuyahoga Valley, Ohio.

The group hit the National Mall in Washington on Sunday morning.

"Service to our nation and cleanliness are important parts of Islam," said Dr. Madeel Abdullah, president of youth group, in a press release. "We could not sit idly by as our national parks collected trash. We will lead by example and dispose of this garbage appropriately and invite all Americans to join us in these parks and others across the nation."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am thankful for their action. It speaks well of them.
I saw on NBC news that people were going to Yosemite (I think it was Yosemite, but it was one of the big marquee national parks in any case) and leaving their trash. If the trash can was overflowing, just leave your trash on the ground next to the trash can. I was thinking, "Holy crap. Hey, people, how about on this trip to pack your trash out with you this time?"
Some people just suck at being human beings.
I am thankful for these young people, however.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not only are they helping the parks, they are upsetting snowflakes who think every Muslim should be kicked out of the country.

A win-win situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
My wife said where are all the environmentalist groups? If they care so much why aren’t they out there helping to clean up.

I do think it is pretty sad that people keep leaving trash when the bins are full instead of taking it with them. Pretty much sums up our culture, “not my fault and someone else’s problem.”

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My wife said where are all the environmentalist groups? If they care so much why aren’t they out there helping to clean up.

I do think it is pretty sad that people keep leaving trash when the bins are full instead of taking it with them. Pretty much sums up our culture, “not my fault and someone else’s problem.”
Meet the 'Toilet Paper Angels' Who Tackle the Dirty Job of Cleaning Up National Parks During the Shutdown

As the partial government shutdown continues through its second week, volunteers across the country have organized at national parks across the country to donate their time and energy to collect trash, clear backed up toilets and, in some cases, clean up human waste on park grounds. Friends of Joshua Tree has also partnered up with local residents to organize drives to provide toilet paper for the park. Volunteers have now been dubbed the “toilet paper angels.”...

Yosemite National Park in California faces similar issues. Ken Yager, president of the Yosemite Climbing Association, has organized daily clean ups with up to 20 volunteers. He says volunteers pick up trash from overflowing garbage bins and garbage bags left behind and spread around by animals. According to Yager, another huge problem is visitors not cleaning up after their dogs and people leaving human waste in various parts of the park, leaving it to volunteers to clean up the toilet paper left behind.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
But haven't these kids heard that they can't possibly do anything nice in America because of their Islamic teachings?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
But haven't these kids heard that they can't possibly do anything nice in America because of their Islamic teachings?
They aren’t allowed to be here. Need to send them back to where they came from. [/blue]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.