Should I Start Caring/Watching Again?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
If you are a larger person, there is just no way to go to these games and enjoy yourself. I am 6'1" and weigh about 270 pounds, so there you go. Then there is the espn-driven schedule which makes afternoon games on the weekends and 7pm games during the week rarities. It is almost like they work against the schools in trying to get nice crowds in.

But it's the modern game and lots of schools have the same issues. Coaches and administrators just have to do their best to overcome the obstacles and create a nice atmosphere for games.

rtr

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Think it's going to be a complete gutting. Link
The renderings look good. Hopefully they will stay in or under budget to get everything they want/need. As long as they don't get a contractor that adds a lot of change orders and add services. Anybody know any details? Is this a bid project or CM at risk?

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I wish the people who are only negative and stating their “opinions” when they don’t even watch would just stay away for good.. same posters only post in losses, but we win. Nothing. It’s not 1 or 2 either, glaringly obvious.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I just don't see a huge improvement to the seating structure based on the pictures. Looks like the majority of seating is still up in the rafters to me.
I am pretty sure they are talking about reducing attendance to under 10,000 from the current 15,000 and bringing everybody closer to the court.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just don't see a huge improvement to the seating structure based on the pictures. Looks like the majority of seating is still up in the rafters to me.
Some will still be pretty high (just inevitable), but everyone will be closer to the court.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Sure, there have been some disappointing games. Overall, since Avery Johnson came to town, it has been fun again to watch Bama basketball. Anthony Grant almost made me call it quits. But with Avery, there is hope you can get some big wins and get wins on the road. He needs to be able to get consistent play and effort from the team but heck I think most of college basketball is in the same boat.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I follow Alabama basketball with casual interest, but the same can be said for OSU basketball. I just can't get excited about regular season basketball when the post season has 68 teams. Honestly, any team that is a "bubble" team has no chance of winning a title, but watching them in the playoff is still kinda cool. But watching bubble teams struggle through the regular season just isn't.

That said, you are better in both recruiting and on-court play than you have been in decades. Title contenders? That is a totally different story. You are not going to win the way that Kentucky wins because you do not land enough top 20 players to sustain when you lose guys after one or two seasons. And you are not going to win the way that the mid-majors win because you will never have a roster full of players with 5 years in your system because you are starting to land one or two of the top guys every year, and those guys leave early and cause continual roster disruption. The way that you are trying to win is an almost impossibility. You are going to have to capture lightening in a bottle one year to have a shot (same with OSU).

So, you have to watch knowing that it isn't all about winning. That is hard to do for an Alabama fan given the success of your football program.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I was a student during some of the golden days during Wimp's era. I confess it is hard not to be gunshy when I've had my hopes dashed so many times since then.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I follow Alabama basketball with casual interest, but the same can be said for OSU basketball. I just can't get excited about regular season basketball when the post season has 68 teams. Honestly, any team that is a "bubble" team has no chance of winning a title, but watching them in the playoff is still kinda cool. But watching bubble teams struggle through the regular season just isn't.

That said, you are better in both recruiting and on-court play than you have been in decades. Title contenders? That is a totally different story. You are not going to win the way that Kentucky wins because you do not land enough top 20 players to sustain when you lose guys after one or two seasons. And you are not going to win the way that the mid-majors win because you will never have a roster full of players with 5 years in your system because you are starting to land one or two of the top guys every year, and those guys leave early and cause continual roster disruption. The way that you are trying to win is an almost impossibility. You are going to have to capture lightening in a bottle one year to have a shot (same with OSU).

So, you have to watch knowing that it isn't all about winning. That is hard to do for an Alabama fan given the success of your football program.
The thing is we're not even making the NCAA tournament. We've made the tournament 2 times in the last 13 years. Once every 6 or 7 years is just unacceptable. I don't expect to go to the final four every year but IMO Alabama should make the tournament just about every year and we've failed to do that for a long time now..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The thing is we're not even making the NCAA tournament. We've made the tournament 2 times in the last 13 years. Once every 6 or 7 years is just unacceptable. I don't expect to go to the final four every year but IMO Alabama should make the tournament just about every year and we've failed to do that for a long time now..
Making it to the tournament isn't as great as you might think. OSU gets into the tournament almost every year. With no real chance of winning it, it loses it luster pretty quickly.

linniepatrick

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Making it to the tournament isn't as great as you might think. OSU gets into the tournament almost every year. With no real chance of winning it, it loses it luster pretty quickly.
I would rather have that than an appearance once or twice a decade. For a program like Alabama, making a run to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 (the former used to happen with regularity, the latter only once in our history) is exhilarating. Sure, it would probably become frustrating if we were ever able to become a consistent Top 10 program only to lose out in the round of 32, 16 or 8 year after year, but for now, that is a problem I would relish. Everything that occurs with regularity came become stale.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

As Bama b-ball fans we understand our place in the overall structure of the sport. But Bama basketball, historically, as been one of the top teams in the SEC until the last couple of decades.

I think our expectations are rather realistic. Make the tourney most years. Win a couple of games to get to the sweet 16. Ocassionally be good enough to make a run to the elite 8 and get lucky beyond there.

I do think the only way Bama ever wins a NC in basketball is to have a experienced laden team with a couple of hotshot one and dones that probably just play their best during the tourney and make a historic run. We accept we doubt we'll ever see it, but I think we believe we can be lots more consistent and competitive.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As Bama b-ball fans we understand our place in the overall structure of the sport. But Bama basketball, historically, as been one of the top teams in the SEC until the last couple of decades.

I think our expectations are rather realistic. Make the tourney most years. Win a couple of games to get to the sweet 16. Ocassionally be good enough to make a run to the elite 8 and get lucky beyond there.

I do think the only way Bama ever wins a NC in basketball is to have a experienced laden team with a couple of hotshot one and dones that probably just play their best during the tourney and make a historic run. We accept we doubt we'll ever see it, but I think we believe we can be lots more consistent and competitive.
I get it. I doubt that Avery will get you what you want. He recruits well, but your players under him have been too inconsistent. Heck, they can't even shoot free throws reliably. But you need continuity so he should probably be given at least another 3-4 years to see if he can adapt his coaching style to college athletes and play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I get it. I doubt that Avery will get you what you want. He recruits well, but your players under him have been too inconsistent. Heck, they can't even shoot free throws reliably. But you need continuity so he should probably be given at least another 3-4 years to see if he can adapt his coaching style to college athletes and play.
We are competing better with CAJ but the inconsistency, in my opinion, is what makes it hard to watch/follow. TAMU is a prime example and there's been a couple of others this year too.

I wonder if he's totally adjusted to the fact these are amauter/college players who struggle with basic fundamentals. At the pro-level it's not as big of a deal. But stuff like just running a basic inbounds play seems to be something we struggle with. Something as simple as that is what caused the loss to TAMU. We got a 5 second call because we couldn't get ball in bounds. Then they go down and make a miracle shot.

Hopefully that stuff gets cleaned up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.