Alcohol at SEC venues

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I read where there's discussion within the conference members to allow alcohol to be served at football games. We have been serving at all other sports venues for a while now and have allowed alcohol in our suites but just recently our BOR approved alcohol sales in the stadium. What are your thoughts on it as it applies to BDS ?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I read where there's discussion within the conference members to allow alcohol to be served at football games. We have been serving at all other sports venues for a while now and have allowed alcohol in our suites but just recently our BOR approved alcohol sales in the stadium. What are your thoughts on it as it applies to BDS ?
Personally, I'd love to be able to buy a decent drink during the game. But I'm not a heavy drinker - I can watch the game with or without and enjoy it just the same.

Based on my experience at games, I'm not sure the presence of more alcohol would do anything to make the experience better for many - far too many people stumble into the stadium already blitzed out of their minds and make the experience trying for those there who haven't used the game as an excuse to over-indulge.

IOW, I don't see it helping anything.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
When I was younger, I smuggled liquor into what was then just Denny Stadium.

Today, I enjoy beer, scotch, bourbon, and am hoping to carve out a post-retirement career in wine.

Obviously, I have no moral objection to alcohol. Still, I don't want alcohol sales in BDS.

I've been to NFL games, all of which serve alcohol. I've also been to Alabama games where the sale was permitted -- playoff games, games in NFL stadiums, what have you. In all cases, I saw more alcohol-related problems in venues where alcohol was freely available.

None were the family experience we all want for a UA game. I just don't want 12-year-olds witnessing the alcohol-fueled garbage that proliferates when it's easily available.

So I enjoy my toddies before and after the game. During the game, I'm not naive enough to think that alcohol isn't present in BDS today.

Still, I believe that easily available alcohol inside the stadium is a net negative for the game experience.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I don't think it would add anything to the experience. The only time I have seen a fight at a Bama game alcohol was involved. I would vote no.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
I agree with most of the posts against, but I will say this. If there is money in it, the university will probably choose to do it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We opened up alcohol sales throughout the stadium in 2017 and there have not been any major problems, and this included a tough loss at home to the Sooners in the first game in which beer was openly sold. I am not sure if things would go as well after a tough game with a rival. The Sooners loss is our only home loss since the sales began.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
The last I heard they were looking at alcohol sales at SEC stadiums in 2020. I hope it does not pass. We have enough alcohol issues as it is with people sneaking it in. I hate to think how bad it would get if it was readily available.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
When I was younger, I smuggled liquor into what was then just Denny Stadium.

Today, I enjoy beer, scotch, bourbon, and am hoping to carve out a post-retirement career in wine.

Obviously, I have no moral objection to alcohol. Still, I don't want alcohol sales in BDS.

I've been to NFL games, all of which serve alcohol. I've also been to Alabama games where the sale was permitted -- playoff games, games in NFL stadiums, what have you. In all cases, I saw more alcohol-related problems in venues where alcohol was freely available.

None were the family experience we all want for a UA game. I just don't want 12-year-olds witnessing the alcohol-fueled garbage that proliferates when it's easily available.

So I enjoy my toddies before and after the game. During the game, I'm not naive enough to think that alcohol isn't present in BDS today.

Still, I believe that easily available alcohol inside the stadium is a net negative for the game experience.
This is exactly what I would have written, so I will spare everyone my opinion.Thanks, 4Q Basket.

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
If there is a buck to be made, alcohol sales will be allowed....and there will be no interest in the opinions of the fans.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
And then you will have idiots trying to drive somewhere after the game while under the influence. It does not make sense but then again, common sense seems to have gone out the window awhile ago. Just my 2 cents

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I agree with most of the posts against, but I will say this. If there is money in it, the university will probably choose to do it.
If there is a buck to be made, alcohol sales will be allowed....and there will be no interest in the opinions of the fans.
You are both 100% correct. The Tuscaloosa County jail will see a HUGE uptick in traffic. It'll make every gameday like the LSU game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't go to enough games for my opinion to even matter. But the few that I have been to, anytime I've witnessed a problem between fans, it seemed alcohol was fueling one, both or all parties involved.

The 2012 Michigan/Bama game at Jerry's World comes to mind. Paid good money to go see, saw several drunk Michigan fans talking trash on the way in and on the way out (even though they got dog stomped). Ended up being some scuffles completely alcohol driven.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't go to enough games for my opinion to even matter. But the few that I have been to, anytime I've witnessed a problem between fans, it seemed alcohol was fueling one, both or all parties involved.

The 2012 Michigan/Bama game at Jerry's World comes to mind. Paid good money to go see, saw several drunk Michigan fans talking trash on the way in and on the way out (even though they got dog stomped). Ended up being some scuffles completely alcohol driven.
Michigan fans are terrible without beer.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
My main concern would be during the home daytime August and September games. I have been at games where medical staff were nearly overwhelmed due to the number of heat stroke victims. That will definitely need to be monitored even more with alcohol sales.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Personally, I'd love to be able to buy a decent drink during the game. But I'm not a heavy drinker - I can watch the game with or without and enjoy it just the same.

Based on my experience at games, I'm not sure the presence of more alcohol would do anything to make the experience better for many - far too many people stumble into the stadium already blitzed out of their minds and make the experience trying for those there who haven't used the game as an excuse to over-indulge.

IOW, I don't see it helping anything.
Except Revenue...:cool2:

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
My opinion will differ from most. I think you will see less overindulgence with alcohol sold. As it is, you have those with the mindset that they have to get hammered before the game because they can’t buy a drink inside. I would think they would be less inclined to pound back however many right before walking in

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
My opinion will differ from most. I think you will see less overindulgence with alcohol sold. As it is, you have those with the mindset that they have to get hammered before the game because they can’t buy a drink inside. I would think they would be less inclined to pound back however many right before walking in
Well, if it is $10 per beer, not much indulgence... :rolleye2:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
My issue with the whole “alcohol or no alcohol” at SEC games is that it is a class system. If you can afford a box or are lucky enough to know someone and sit in a box you can have it. If you are a commoner, “no alcohol for you!” Obviously the SEC has no real objection to it - they just don’t want to make it available to the general public. My opinion is just let the schools decide. Do you think the Cajuns will be any more rowdy or the cowbells will be any louder just because they are allowed to buy rather than carry in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Except Revenue...:cool2:
This is the main reason I'd like to see them go ahead and do it.

There are concerns about trying to milk fans for money, but there are people sneaking drinks in, drinking before they come in, etc... that's potential earnings being lost, and people are no less drunk. If they get more revenue from this, then that's something else they might not raise prices on. This also makes home games more lucrative, so less incentive for neutral cite games. If Troy can make $200,000 doing this, we're talking about millions in potential commissions. Not only that but as people pointed out, some try to get hammered on the outside, and for some just staying outside might be more desirable due to this policy.

Besides, Alabama fans can have too much decorum anyway. If they get a little more loud and rowdy, that's a good thing.
Based on my experiences at Saints games vs. Bama/LSU games, I would vote yes.
The Saints are considered to have a really good home team advantage, right?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.