2019 Federal government shut down and the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I'm sorry you interpreted my OP that way, Matt. I was interested solely on opinions about strategy and tactics.
Pelosi and Schumer have stated a perfectly reasonable position--agree to end the shutdown, and then we can sit down and reach an agreement to improve border security. The Dems are more than willing to work towards increased border security--just not the Great Wall of Guano. It's a wonderful tactic--particularly with video of Trump saying that he will be happy to take credit for the shutdown.

If the Dems compromise on the wall, the terrorist wins.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I hope the Democrats don't give this petulant child a dime. Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity do not run this country. If Trump doesn't open the government back up soon, it's not going to end well.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
You do understand that this 5 billion is really just the down payment? The total cost is estimated up to 10 billion, and, being government, probably much more, with condemnations, etc. The DHS, in a leaked report, said 21.6 billion. If they give him the five billion, how can they turn him down for the rest, even if it doubles or triples. I can see giving him one billion and assigning it to a committee for a feasibility study, since there's never been one...
I heard the total cost was like $20 billion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Trump had a deal with the GOP majority congress and threw a temper tantrum. This is COMPLETELY on HIM.

He had a deal in July with his $5 bill and a DACA bill. Steven Miller pitched a fit and he said he wouldn’t sign it and Republicans wouldn’t override his veto, although they had the votes to do so.
This is partisan politics at its worst and shows how badly we need another party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You do understand that this 5 billion is really just the down payment? The total cost is estimated up to 10 billion, and, being government, probably much more, with condemnations, etc. The DHS, in a leaked report, said 21.6 billion. If they give him the five billion, how can they turn him down for the rest, even if it doubles or triples. I can see giving him one billion and assigning it to a committee for a feasibility study, since there's never been one...
i think i see the faulty premise in your post ;)

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I’ve seen the word strategy a few times here. For the GOP/Trump there is no strategy other than sign the pass/bills the House is giving them. Trump had a bill to sign(not even a blank one this time) that passed the Senate 100-0 and let Fox News take him into sending it back to the House. No strategy there. The Dem Strategy should be let Trump and the GOP dig as deep of a hole as they want here.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I’ve seen the word strategy a few times here. For the GOP/Trump there is no strategy other than sign the pass/bills the House is giving them. Trump had a bill to sign(not even a blank one this time) that passed the Senate 100-0 and let Fox News take him into sending it back to the House. No strategy there. The Dem Strategy should be let Trump and the GOP dig as deep of a hole as they want here.
trumpies love to project all kinds of positive spin and motivations on this slow motion train wreck that is the twitler administration/gop.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
I'm sorry you interpreted my OP that way, Matt. I was interested solely on opinions about strategy and tactics.

No worries...I know you are emotionally invested in this situation which I view as a positive.

Thanks for responding anyway....
This is how I interpret your OPs because I know you are not emotionally invested in this situation - at least not enough to actually let any information sway you from your man crush/support:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Concern_troll

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The person you were responding to earlier said nothing about Trump being cool and even said the majority of the nation likely put more blame on Trump than they do on democrats.
Perhaps I misread his "Trump more responsible" as saying that Trump was being the more responsible one than the Democrats but the Trump being so cool part is always in the subtext anyway. :D

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is how I interpret your OPs because I know you are not emotionally invested in this situation - at least not enough to actually let any information sway you from your man crush/support:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Concern_troll
ties in to that civility nonsense that was the "strategy/tactic" for a while

from the link
One common tactic of concern trolls is the "a plague on both your houses" approach, where the concern troll tries to convince people that both sides of the ideological divide are just as bad as each other, and so no one can think themselves "correct" but must engage in endless hedging and caveats. This preys on a willingness to debate critics and allow dissent; everyone wastes time discussing the matter and bending over backwards, so as not to appear intolerant of disagreement, all to the great amusement of the troll.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Good point. I just looked it up and here's what I found:

Cost estimates for the wall vary greatly. Here are some relevant estimates, as chronicled by news publication Quartz.

• In July 2016, Bernstein Research, a firm that analyzes material costs, put the price tag at $15 billion to $25 billion, for a wall that stretches 1,000 miles and is 40 feet high, which was Trump’s initial desired height.
  • In January 2017, Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell said the wall would be $12 billion to $15 billion.
  • In February 2017, a leaked report from the Department of Homeland Security put it much higher, at $21.6 billion.
  • In April 2017, the Democratic staff of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee said in a report that costs could soar to nearly $70 billion — not including the significant costs and legal resources required for land acquisition.
Peters’ spokesman Jacob Peters said the congressman used the $21.6 billion estimate because it "comes from the internal report done by the Department of Homeland Security."
"This estimate falls somewhere in the middle of the range of cost estimates," the spokesman added. "Because this report was commissioned by (Department of Homeland Security) Secretary Kelly, and is based on the Trump administration’s own planning process to build walls and fences to cover almost the entirety of the border that is not already fenced, it is the best current estimate for what President Trump is likely to ask Congress to appropriate to build his border wall."
We also used the $21.6 billion as our estimate.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Just ran across this article. Glad to see someone is trying to get something done......

Has to help the Dems in public perception, no?

House Democrats have a new strategy to reopen the government: pass smaller spending bills

They may not go anywhere, but they’re aimed at putting pressure on Republicans.

By Li Zhouli@vox.com Updated Jan 7, 2019, 4:36pm EST

What Democrats have proposed

Democrats, meanwhile, haven’t shown any sign of caving to Trump’s demands on a border wall — and are continuing to take a series of relatively symbolic actions to put pressure on their Republican counterparts.
This week, House Democrats plan to pass four individual appropriations bills that would fund agencies that are not controversial, like the Treasury Department, the Interior Department, and the Agriculture Department.
Their actions are largely about party messaging: House Democrats already effectively passed these bills as part of a larger funding package that closely resembled legislation the GOP-controlled Senate approved last year. By bringing them up again and approving each bill one by one, Democrats are trying to hammer home the message that they’re actively working to address the shutdown while Republicans look like they’re standing by. Republicans, however, have said they aren’t interested in opening the government in a fragmented way, Politico reports.
House Democrats’ actions come as pressure continues to grow on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell — from Democrats as well as Republican leaders like Sens. Cory Gardner and Susan Collins — who are urging him to take up legislation that would reopen the government, even if it doesn’t provide the wall funding Trump has asked for.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
"Crisis of the heart" just about says it all. I'd add "and of the mind" for good measure.

There is no good reason for Trump to shut down the government until he gets his way on a stupid wall.

It's my opinion that he is using this more as a distraction to have us talk about this rather than talk about the investigation into his campaign/administration.

It's an evil man that uses good people as pawns to be discarded on a whim for selfish reasons that have nothing at all to do with what is good for the nation and its people. This isn't about a higher principle, or a higher goal, or anything good in the world. It's about Trump and Trump only. He doesn't care about immigrants or government workers or the poor or the middle class or homebuyers or anyone else if their name is not Donald Trump. I wouldn't doubt that he enjoys seeing his kids do well simply because it makes him look better if they do - so he can show them off to the world and point at himself. Who thinks he ever once changed a dirty diaper?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Just ran across this article. Glad to see someone is trying to get something done......

Has to help the Dems in public perception, no?

House Democrats have a new strategy to reopen the government: pass smaller spending bills

They may not go anywhere, but they’re aimed at putting pressure on Republicans.

By Li Zhouli@vox.com Updated Jan 7, 2019, 4:36pm EST
Who controlled Congress when the shutdown began? When did democrats take over the house?

This was not caused in any way by democrats.

This was caused by a petulant child.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
"Crisis of the heart" just about says it all. I'd add "and of the mind" for good measure.

There is no good reason for Trump to shut down the government until he gets his way on a stupid wall.

It's my opinion that he is using this more as a distraction to have us talk about this rather than talk about the investigation into his campaign/administration.

It's an evil man that uses good people as pawns to be discarded on a whim for selfish reasons that have nothing at all to do with what is good for the nation and its people. This isn't about a higher principle, or a higher goal, or anything good in the world. It's about Trump and Trump only. He doesn't care about immigrants or government workers or the poor or the middle class or homebuyers or anyone else if their name is not Donald Trump. I wouldn't doubt that he enjoys seeing his kids do well simply because it makes him look better if they do - so he can show them off to the world and point at himself. Who thinks he ever once changed a dirty diaper?
it says a lot about the folks who continue to support him

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Trump administration spent more than $13 million to hire 2 border agents

https://www.motherjones.com/politic...o-recruit-two-agents-government-report-finds/

Anyone who believes that over 3,000 miles of wall can be built by the federal government considering the vast number issues of imminent domain along the route, small towns with areas that would have to be razed and mountainous areas that would require months of preparation for construction with the cost ballooning by billions is not being honest with themselves!

The ridiculousness of Trumps proposal that is backed by Pence and fellow Conservative Republicans is that under their watch the Federal Debt increased by $1.2 Trillion in the last fiscal year due to the Republican Tax Cut. Now the proposal is to borrow $30 plus Billion more to build a wall as a purely political stunt.

The dishonesty embedded in this proposal borders on criminal neglect of their oath of office!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Who controlled Congress when the shutdown began? When did democrats take over the house?

This was not caused in any way by democrats.

This was caused by a petulant child.
a petulant child who has 85+ % approval rating within his own party, which i might add is full of people who like to tut-tut about how everyone gets a participation trophy and libtards spoil their snowflake children and don't do the right things to instill discipline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.