Would Mathieu have made a difference Saturday night for lsu?

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
Kind of hit me awhile ago how ironic it is that some kids mistake that happened during the off season could possibly have cost his team a shot at the National Championship.That maybe with Mathieu in the game maybe the game winning drive doesnt happen.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Would Mathieu have made a difference tonight for lsu?

He disappeared against you last year. In fact, you guys picked on him all night long in January.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

It's hard to say, but it is possible that he could have been exploited. In terms of just coverage, he's not that great. It is the other things he does that were so important. He would have changed the game some, but I don't think there is any way to say thet win with him.

Alabama almost put the game on ice up until that fumble. The statistics leaned towards LSU, but part of that was a string of bad breaks for Alabama. LSU never stopped Alabama's running game, and LSU's running game never really got going against Alabama. The game played out that way because LSU had a few more big passing plays than Alabama, coupled with Alabama's two turnovers. You play that game again and there's no way that third downs go the way they did twice. You change the game at all, and it's quite possible that it favors the team that was more fundamentally sound, which was Alabama.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Kind of hit me awhile ago how ironic it is that some kids mistake that happened during the off season could possibly have cost his team a shot at the National Championship.That maybe with Mathieu in the game maybe the game winning drive doesnt happen.
He couldn't cover Norwood last year. Don't know why he' be able to this year either. :)

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world

He couldn't cover Norwood last year. Don't know why he' be able to this year either. :)
Thought that as well...also Ive been working a lot and have no idea why I put tonight in the subject line. Just plain wore out I guess.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Yeah he's overrated..........athletic but not very smart. Wonder how his mother feels seeing her son go from nationally celebrity with 1st round predictions to kicked of the team, bonded from jail on drug charges and many predicting he won't get drafted or maybe even enter the draft.

He was an exciting overall player, like special teams, but could not cover the better receivers well.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Losing the right side of the line was their biggest loss I would think. One was a freshman and the other a sophomore?

Imaging losing steen and fluker.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Actually I think he's an awesomely talented athlete for his size
He brings intangibles similar to David Palmer or Javier Arenas (on the field, only).

But .......... if you ask that question I think you have to be fair and ask if Richardson would have made a difference for us.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He brings intangibles similar to David Palmer or Javier Arenas (on the field, only).

But .......... if you ask that question I think you have to be fair and ask if Richardson would have made a difference for us.
I do not put him on the same level of Trent...

Also, the Arenas comparison is a bit interesting. I was of the opinion that Arenas cost us an LSU game. He hadn't fully developed his coverage game yet, and he let a guy get open in a long yardage passing situation. That's the issue with Mathieu, not that he isn't very talented and potentially game changing, but his coverage, which is not all that exceptional if you actually throw at him (vs. letting him just scurry around trying to make plays).

That wouldn't be fair. We would run away with everything. Lacy and TJ is already doing big things and then you add Trent to that equation. Just wouldn't be right. Was he opportunistic? Yes he was in a big way, but he's no where near the same level as Trent!

BamaSam1

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2011
The only difference he would have made is he's alot shorter than the guy T.J. juked out of his shoes on the way to the endzone.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm not sure that 'Honey Boo Boo' would have helped LSU very much.
CNS took him out of the game last year. All that was left was his mouth.
'Honey Boo Boo's' taste for recreational drugs took him out this year...
He's had more 'One Last Chance's' than the guys on ANIMAL HOUSE.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
Sure, I guess the old Mathieu could have.

But like so many coach's and their teams, some never recover from being pounded by a fully rested, functioning Crimson Tide....

Nope they never recover ............

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.