Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Four times Alabama missed more FTs than the difference in the game:

Georgia State - lost by 3 and missed 13 FTs
Texas A&M - lost by 1 and missed 11 FTs
Tennessee - lost by 3 and missed 10 FTs
LSU - lost by 5 and missed 10 FTs

That's pathetic. Win those games, and Alabama is 21-9 and very comfortably in the tournament.

The team lacks mental toughness and physical toughness. If Avery remains at UA, one of the top things is to find a new S&C coach. Guys haven't added muscle once on campus, and they seem to get nicked up fairly often.

Might partially explain the end of the year records, too.

2016: 6-2 in February; 0-2 in March regular season2017: 3-5 in February; 1-1 in March regular season2018: 3-4 in February; 0-1 in March regular season (ended on a 5 game losing streak)2019: 4-4 in February; 0-2 in March thus far

A coach focused on fundamentals is also desperately needed. Right now, we have two recruiters on the bench. With only three assistants, let's make it one and two solid coaches.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
As Earle started many responses this basketball season, “what might have been..”

Think about it. Last night....winnable. LSU game at home -winnable. Tennessee in Knoxville-winnable. TAMU at home -(ugh) winnable. Georgia State -(ugh) winnable. Baylor and UCF both winnable.

Go 4-3 in those games and look at the perception of this season. And I submit that difference in those games was coaching and preparation. And that will be the difference most likely between the NCAA and the NIT for us.
Except for the opportunity to improve and play together more, I wish NIT wasn't an option. This team should have been a top 25 team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's Johnson's 11th loss to an unranked SEC opponent at home in 4 years. Grant only had 4 such losses in 6 years. Time for a change.
I know you don't really care about this, but the SEC is better than when Anthony Grant was here.

We're all frustrated and irritated with how things are, but if you're going to say it's time to fire Avery because Anthony Grant had less losses to unranked opponents at home, you must want Avery to stay because he has 14 wins against ranked opponents, which is 11 more than CAG.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
That's Johnson's 11th loss to an unranked SEC opponent at home in 4 years. Grant only had 4 such losses in 6 years. Time for a change.
Of course, the other view is that he stopped the ridiculous on-the-road loss streak. I'm not sure what the issue is overall (coaching, players, sign-of-the-times, or whatever), but it does certainly damper my enjoyment of hoops. I thought this team might be different but it's just more of the same.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Can we just stop with the Grant and Avery comparisons? It was clear then that it was time for Grant to move on and it is clear now that it is time for us to move on from Avery. We don’t have to keep constantly comparing the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think instead of being done, like many here feel, I think I'm indifferent. I sort of think that is worse than being done. I hate that I feel so blah about it.
Exactly, I hate that I feel this way, and I know some try to use it as some type of statement to say it makes me a bad fan. However, I'm to the point in my life where I know there are plenty of things I like to do. I really enjoy watching Bama basketball, for instance, if we play good fundamentally sound basketball with solid effort. If we don't, I don't enjoy it. My fandom may force me to tolerate some bad play, but I am definitely to the point where I can find more entertaining things to do than torture myself by watching them play. I will always keep checking in on the scores and hoping we figure things out and reading the opinions here on Tidefans, though. Roll Tide! I hope we can get a win at Arky.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
You always seem to blame the officials in some way.
Too angry to say much. Same old story different night. I have never seen a team blow leads like we do. Btw, the officials lost control early. Foul after foul ignored. The boogs were like the old Detroit bad boys. Pitiful.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I would imagine that nearly every close loss for any team can be attributed to free throw misses.

Maybe when counting every missed free throw. Maybe not if only counting up to what should be a reasonable shooting percentage. In most of these games, hitting a reasonable percentage would account for more than the difference in the final score.

Bama has won games due to being hot from the free throw line; lost some when shooting decent as well.

4-13 vs UT...ugh! Hitting 55% would have added 3 points; maybe another one depending on misses on front end of 1-and-1's.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe when counting every missed free throw. Maybe not if only counting up to what should be a reasonable shooting percentage. In most of these games, hitting a reasonable percentage would account for more than the difference in the final score.

Bama has won games due to being hot from the free throw line; lost some when shooting decent as well.
That's why I only looked at games where Alabama missed more FTs than the number of points it lost by. Doesn't matter how many FTs you miss if you lose by 20.
4-13 vs UT...ugh! Hitting 55% would have added 3 points; maybe another one depending on misses on front end of 1-and-1's.
Bama was 8-18 (44%) in Knoxville. If Bama shoots its 67.4% average that day, it makes 12 FTs.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
That's why I only looked at games where Alabama missed more FTs than the number of points it lost by. Doesn't matter how many FTs you miss if you lose by 20.

Bama was 8-18 (44%) in Knoxville. If Bama shoots its 67.4% average that day, it makes 12 FTs.
The free throw should be the easiest shot in basketball, other than of course an uncontested dunk or layup. The fact that we're not good at free throws is very telling in that we're not good at shooting overall. And in basketball, if your players are not good at shooting the basketball into the hoop, you're not going to be very good. It's really that simple.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005

I did it again...got my eyes crossed and only wrote down 2nd half FT shooting. My quality control has been lacking lately...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Unless you are a masochist - and not just any masochist, but a diehard serial masochist - the operative word for the product Avery's putting on the floor to flub fundamentals, free throws and even inbounding the basketball against more than a gnat's breath of pressure is UNWATCHABLE.

UTTERLY UNWATCHABLE.

I like to watch Alabama Basketball; and I like to watch a well coached basketball team give good effort. Because of this point of view; I have found myself watching not a lot of Bama basketball this year; and when I did I have been mostly disappointed.
#Unbuckled.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Nope, for the most part this year we have been our own worst enemy. I was there watching the game 40 feet from the court. It took 13 minutes into the game before the 1st foul was called on the boogs. 3 in the entire 1st half. Wimp said even the anouncers stated that the refs called it looser after Pearl got T'd up. They were the more physical team by far which meant we should have been at the line all night They were pushing Hall all over the floor. I've literally been to hundreds of games at Coleman. I didnt miss a single home game and went to the Charleston tourney. With the exception of the traveling call at UT and this game, I think the refs have been decent this year. We still had chances our chances to win and bungled them at every opportunity. Weve done that all year. Simply frustrating.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Nope, for the most part this year we have been our own worst enemy. I was there watching the game 40 feet from the court. It took 13 minutes into the game before the 1st foul was called on the boogs. 3 in the entire 1st half. Wimp said even the anouncers stated that the refs called it looser after Pearl got T'd up. They were the more physical team by far which meant we should have been at the line all night They were pushing Hall all over the floor. I've literally been to hundreds of games at Coleman. I didnt miss a single home game and went to the Charleston tourney. With the exception of the traveling call at UT and this game, I think the refs have been decent this year. We still had chances our chances to win and bungled them at every opportunity. Weve done that all year. Simply frustrating.
The way the refs called the game definitely worked to AU's advantage. Most Bama players are a little thin. Ingram was out the second half. I was wanting Norris to drive more (yes, Norris) because the hand-checks and holds have less effect on him (roster says he is 6 lbs heavier than Jones???) and he can pull up to shoot a short jumper. AU could play right in the face of the Bama players out on the perimeter and have no fear that the player would get around them. AU was able to take away the option of feeding the post.

Mostly unrelated...Smith has really played hard during his recent few minutes of play. I'm hoping that he will continue to improve and develop a shot facing the basket. Don't know what to expect of Davis-Fleming.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.