Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Barn...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Four times Alabama missed more FTs than the difference in the game:

Georgia State - lost by 3 and missed 13 FTs
Texas A&M - lost by 1 and missed 11 FTs
Tennessee - lost by 3 and missed 10 FTs
LSU - lost by 5 and missed 10 FTs

That's pathetic. Win those games, and Alabama is 21-9 and very comfortably in the tournament.

The team lacks mental toughness and physical toughness. If Avery remains at UA, one of the top things is to find a new S&C coach. Guys haven't added muscle once on campus, and they seem to get nicked up fairly often.

Might partially explain the end of the year records, too.

2016: 6-2 in February; 0-2 in March regular season2017: 3-5 in February; 1-1 in March regular season2018: 3-4 in February; 0-1 in March regular season (ended on a 5 game losing streak)2019: 4-4 in February; 0-2 in March thus far

A coach focused on fundamentals is also desperately needed. Right now, we have two recruiters on the bench. With only three assistants, let's make it one and two solid coaches.
Agreed and we need a HC or ass't coach that can make players accountable by getting in their face in the style of Frank Martin, Rick Barnes, Pearl etc where the player thinks he better not make a stupid, lazy pass and turn it over or there will be consequences. I think all four coaches on our bench are too nice.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Nope, for the most part this year we have been our own worst enemy. I was there watching the game 40 feet from the court. It took 13 minutes into the game before the 1st foul was called on the boogs. 3 in the entire 1st half. Wimp said even the anouncers stated that the refs called it looser after Pearl got T'd up. They were the more physical team by far which meant we should have been at the line all night They were pushing Hall all over the floor. I've literally been to hundreds of games at Coleman. I didnt miss a single home game and went to the Charleston tourney. With the exception of the traveling call at UT and this game, I think the refs have been decent this year. We still had chances our chances to win and bungled them at every opportunity. Weve done that all year. Simply frustrating.
Each team had nine fouls in the second half. After Pearl's T at 15:03, Alabama was called for six fouls (one more was intentional when the score was 64-60) while Auburn was called for four fouls. Auburn shot 12 FTs (plus two from the intentional at the end of the game) while Alabama shot six FTs.

The loss last night was not due to the officials. No one should argue that. At the same time, no one can say the officials last night weren't pure trash.

Edit: Two stats to show how Auburn played different after the T: six and nine. Auburn had six steals, and Alabama committed nine turnovers in the last 15 minutes of the game. For the entire game, Auburn had 11 steals and Alabama had 19 turnovers. IOW, Auburn had five steals in the first 25 minutes and Alabama committed ten turnovers in that same time period. Not like that was the case the entire game.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Each team had nine fouls in the second half. After Pearl's T at 15:03, Alabama was called for six fouls (one more was intentional when the score was 64-60) while Auburn was called for four fouls. Auburn shot 12 FTs (plus two from the intentional at the end of the game) while Alabama shot six FTs.

The loss last night was not due to the officials. No one should argue that. At the same time, no one can say the officials last night weren't pure trash.

Edit: Two stats to show how Auburn played different after the T: six and nine. Auburn had six steals, and Alabama committed nine turnovers in the last 15 minutes of the game. For the entire game, Auburn had 11 steals and Alabama had 19 turnovers. IOW, Auburn had five steals in the first 25 minutes and Alabama committed ten turnovers in that same time period. Not like that was the case the entire game.
There's a good argument that Bruce's T was the play of the game.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

My point being, that if the game is called in "let em Play" mentality by the officials. it favors the more physical team and Auburn was clearly more physical in the 2nd half. Did it ultimately cost us the game, maybe, maybe not. We still had a chance to win at the end and could not get it done. Hall had 3 shots all night and passed out of the post almost every time he touched the ball because he was being molested by their post players. It is inexcusable that you have a significant height advantage and don't take advantage of it. I've said before as Donta Hall goes, so goes the Tide. I believe we got out rebounded again by a much smaller team. BTW, several times last night our players looked at the refs after taking shots in pure bewilderment that no foul was called.

My final impression of this team is they don't have clearly defined roles and the players end up trying to do too much. We also are playing the pro style of matchups and one on one plays which does not translate well to the college game unless you have superior talent, which we don't. The Alabama team that beat UK and took UT to the wire didn't remotely resemble the team that took the court last night. Unfortunately, it looks as if Coach Johnson has lost the confidence of the players IMHO and it is just a matter of time before we implode further. I do not look forward to Saturday against the Hogs.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My point being, that if the game is called in "let em Play" mentality by the officials. it favors the more physical team and Auburn was clearly more physical in the 2nd half. Did it ultimately cost us the game, maybe, maybe not. We still had a chance to win at the end and could not get it done. Hall had 3 shots all night and passed out of the post almost every time he touched the ball because he was being molested by their post players. It is inexcusable that you have a significant height advantage and don't take advantage of it. I've said before as Donta Hall goes, so goes the Tide. I believe we got out rebounded again by a much smaller team. BTW, several times last night our players looked at the refs after taking shots in pure bewilderment that no foul was called.

My final impression of this team is they don't have clearly defined roles and the players end up trying to do too much. We also are playing the pro style of matchups and one on one plays which does not translate well to the college game unless you have superior talent, which we don't. The Alabama team that beat UK and took UT to the wire didn't remotely resemble the team that took the court last night. Unfortunately, it looks as if Coach Johnson has lost the confidence of the players IMHO and it is just a matter of time before we implode further. I do not look forward to Saturday against the Hogs.
Oh, I agree with you about the officials being sorry last night. If the collapse was out of the norm, I would tend to point to the officiating as the reason it was so bad.

Unfortunately, we all know the collapse was not out of the norm.

You mention the players not knowing their roles because the roles aren't clearly defined. Did it seem to anyone else Herbert was playing more point forward last night than he has in recent games? Might have been because of Dazon's injury.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Oh, I agree with you about the officials being sorry last night. If the collapse was out of the norm, I would tend to point to the officiating as the reason it was so bad.

You mention the players not knowing their roles because the roles aren't clearly defined. Did it seem to anyone else Herbert was playing more point forward last night than he has in recent games? Might have been because of Dazon's injury.
Not sure, thinking he was trying to be more aggressive on the offensive side to help offset scoring. Which was what I've been looking from him all season. As far as the definition of their roles, it just seems like CAJ seems to have a NBA approach to this team in letting them rely on their individual talent. That was ok with players like Sexton, but its clear that it doesn't work with players that haven't reached that level or if they are still growing.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The free throw should be the easiest shot in basketball, other than of course an uncontested dunk or layup. The fact that we're not good at free throws is very telling in that we're not good at shooting overall. And in basketball, if your players are not good at shooting the basketball into the hoop, you're not going to be very good. It's really that simple.
Thanks for saying so. I've been saying this going back to the Grant years. If you can't shoot a 15 foot, uncontested shot at a reasonable percentage, you can't shoot! I agree, "It's really that simple."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Except for the opportunity to improve and play together more, I wish NIT wasn't an option. This team should have been a top 25 team.
IF we keep on practicing the way we have and don't practice against the press, IDK how much good the extra time will do...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That has been obvious to me for a while. At this age, these kids can't self-coach and CAJ can't coach them because he doesn't really know the college game. There is no reason we can't handle the press, except practice. There's also no excuse for the abysmal FT percentage except lack of practice...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Yes, Jones seemed to bring the ball up and work at the point a little more frequently to me. I think Ingram's injury also led to Petty handling the ball more than usual; that did not go well.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
SMU would make sense. It is in Dallas so his wife would be happy. He is enormously popular in Texas. I think we waive the buyout clause and move on to a new beginning. Most people don't realize he never put down roots in Tuscaloosa. His house is a rental. He has bought a lot, but never began building. I love coach Johnson, but the dynamic with the players seems to have soured and once that happens, you really have no choice.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
SMU would make sense. It is in Dallas so his wife would be happy. He is enormously popular in Texas. I think we waive the buyout clause and move on to a new beginning.
Bingo. That's exactly why he would be mentioned there.

Most people don't realize he never put down roots in Tuscaloosa. His house is a rental. He has bought a lot, but never began building. I love coach Johnson, but the dynamic with the players seems to have soured and once that happens, you really have no choice.
Ouch. Didn't realize that was the case.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.