Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. The Hogs...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We beat Ole Miss by 21 points this year. If we win Thursday, we get Kentucky, who we beat. Our semi-final game would likely be Tennessee, a team we took to the wire. The top seed is LSU, which is a big mess right now. So maybe #4 South Carolina makes the finals. We beat them in Columbia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who is this team you are talking about winning 4 straight games???:)

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
It's time to hire a coach that, instead of looking good getting off the bus; looks good driving the bus

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
While we've been sleeping, Auburn has taken the mantle from us as the best program in the state. Our team is underperforming, our facility is probably one of the worst basketball arenas in the state, and we seemed to be cursed to mediocrity. I didn't think it would be possible for us to fall this far this year, but it is clear coach Johnson has lost the team. It is time for a complete reboot. Unfortunately economics will come into play unless coach finds another job. If he doesn't, don't expect a move this year.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I like the guys coming in including Fleming coming back from injury, If we somehow get Watford, then it’d be a really impressive class. Players are leaving and being replaced by guys that I think can be more productive with their minutes. I have lost some faith in Coach AJ, but I think next years lineup could be really good and maybe another offseason of experience he can improve on the coaching end a little. If his heart is in it, I think he’ll keep improving
I’ve seen posts like this each of the last 3 years, “we have a good class coming”, and it has been the same result. Coaches rarely change much so, we get what we get if we hold onto CAJ.

Time for a change if this school cares at all about basketball. I’m not sure it really does though.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I just can't imagine Watford stepping into this situation with better options on the table
I think only if he wants to be the driving force that turns things around here. If he came here and we really start winning he would never pay for another dinner in this State or any place where I saw him buying food. Of course this would be after he graduates or leaves for the NBA.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I just can't imagine Watford stepping into this situation with better options on the table

This, ask Richard Hendrix how that turned out for him...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

crimson clear

Suspended
Feb 27, 2018
I think you can judge a coach in any sport after 2 years and not necessarily on their win/ loss record. Do their teams show progressive improvement, do they make the most of the talent they have, do they play hard and more importantly smart. If the answer is yes then chances are that program will be successful. Unfortunately I don't think that's the case with this current basketball program and great talent alone does ensure winning.

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
It's time to move on from Avery. I was excited when we hired him, but the results speak for themselves. It's the same song and dance every year. Without Sexton bailing us out last year, we would have zero tournament appearances in four years.

It's also time to stop using the next recruiting class as justification to keep him. Everybody was excited about that 2017 class that had Sexton, Petty, Herb, Galin, & Reese. Those guys (obviously excluding Sexton) are the core of our team now, and look where we are. We should be past "the next recruiting class is the one that will get us there" in year 4.

EDIT: Also, did I mention that Avery makes as much as Tony Bennett and more than Jay Wright?

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
It's time to move on from Avery. I was excited when we hired him, but the results speak for themselves. It's the same song and dance every year. Without Sexton bailing us out last year, we would have zero tournament appearances in four years.

It's also time to stop using the next recruiting class as justification to keep him. Everybody was excited about that 2017 class that had Sexton, Petty, Herb, Galin, & Reese. Those guys (obviously excluding Sexton) are the core of our team now, and look where we are. We should be past "the next recruiting class is the one that will get us there" in year 4.

EDIT: Also, did I mention that Avery makes as much as Tony Bennett and more than Jay Wright?
Yes, thank you for the statement about salary. We overpaid to get AJ, and where did that get us? Some seem to think that throwing money at the problem will help. We're not going to get a proven big dog who is already at a blue-blood program. We need a solid basketball guy with some energy. That's it. A million and a half or two should be able to get us a very, very capable coach.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
College basketball has been so dirty for so long that I don't know we could get anyone who hasn't been tainted by the filth. I don't know that it matters much at this point because everyone is dirty. Everyone has known about this mess, including everyone in the college game and the NCAA, for years. It's not a secret. It never was. And the powers that be turned a blind eye and let it happen and now it's completely out of control.

Getting the NBA to fix there issues will help, but CBB has to stop making excuses and clean up the mess. Either put a stop to it all or at least bring it above board and make it transparent instead of pretending your poo doesn't stink. It does. Bad. The daylight and some antiseptic will help.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
College basketball has been so dirty for so long that I don't know we could get anyone who hasn't been tainted by the filth. I don't know that it matters much at this point because everyone is dirty. Everyone has known about this mess, including everyone in the college game and the NCAA, for years. It's not a secret. It never was. And the powers that be turned a blind eye and let it happen and now it's completely out of control.

Getting the NBA to fix there issues will help, but CBB has to stop making excuses and clean up the mess. Either put a stop to it all or at least bring it above board and make it transparent instead of pretending your poo doesn't stink. It does. Bad. The daylight and some antiseptic will help.
Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

You should tell us what you really think. Don't hold back so much.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I'm fine with giving him next year but that's it. I would not be mad if he found another job this offseason though.

As for coaches pay you can't always go by what is posted. According to the 2018 payscale by USA Today Bennett does make more as he has a lot of stuff added into his contract in terms of pay, etc. It even has Avery well above Roy Williams at North Carolina which is a joke, I promise you Roy makes just as much or almost as much as his ratfaced rival at Dookie who leads at almost 9 million. Williams has contracts with Nike and others as well as he pockets the money from his camps and other speaking engagements.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
While we've been sleeping, Auburn has taken the mantle from us as the best program in the state. Our team is underperforming, our facility is probably one of the worst basketball arenas in the state, and we seemed to be cursed to mediocrity. I didn't think it would be possible for us to fall this far this year, but it is clear coach Johnson has lost the team. It is time for a complete reboot. Unfortunately economics will come into play unless coach finds another job. If he doesn't, don't expect a move this year.
That is certainly the perception...but I really think they only have one tangible advantage to us right now: The Auburn Arena. Obvioiusly, that's a HUGE advantage, but if we are just comparing talent and even results (wins and losses) it's not like they are suddenly a top team in the nation and are even basically mediocre even this year.

Other than the arena, the biggest other factor is they do seem to be trending up and us down and if that's what you meant then I agree. Their fans certainly feel better than us as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.