On Finebaum,a NFL guy said Alabama would have 2 of the top 10 qbs in college football

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Audio - according to the article I posted above the first team offense returned to the game with 1:46 left in the fourth qtr. Saban is quoted as saying he did not want to and the press could criticize him.........
Hrmm, I apologize - I'm no Selma but I didn't remember that (and I was there)...

Mea culpa.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Hrmm, I apologize - I'm no Selma but I didn't remember that (and I was there)...

Mea culpa.
Nobody is a Selma except him. I actually do remember the game and remember the starters coming back in. If I remember correctly Alabama/Saban had started to substitute 2nd and 3rd string guys in but Colorado state did not. They kept the starters in and kept playing aggressively. It irked me for sure.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Tua’s ability to see the field and make all the throws is going to be a huge multiplier for the run game. Our O-line and backs won’t be seeing too many (if any) 8 man boxes. The running attack should be downright nasty.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Uhh, no, Tua entered the game with 0:44 to go in the third quarter with the score 41-10. Tua didn't have a great game, but Hurts did not return to finish he game. That was the game the team leaders called a meeting afterwards to blast the team for their lackadaisical play in the 2nd half. Bama was never in danger of losing, but allowing CSU to drive and score 13 points in the 4th quarter was unacceptable.

Tua didn't look amazing in that game but neither did anyone else wearing crimson in the second half.
This ^^^ Play by Play shows Jalen didn't attempt a pass after Tua first appears at the end of the third Qtr.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400933854

EDIT - Game play recap doesn't show that Jalen in fact returned. He just didn't attempt a pass.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I think I've still got the game recorded and yes, I think the first team offense did come back in near the end of the game. It wasn't about Tua's play as much as it was about the way the second unit played as a whole.
Wow! I pulled up the YouTube. And there he is! Yup. Jalen back in late.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
And we have several games to judge Jalen Hurts vs elite, and even good defenses, and he has consistently struggled. Considering that, I'd be happy enough if Tagovailo is only as good as Jake Coker the latter part of 2015. At least, like Coker, he already has a national title to his credit.
IMO- IF Blake Sims could have come back for one more season, I have little doubt he'd have won the NC in his second year (which would have been 2015).
OR - IF Jake Coker could have come back for one more season, he'd almost certainly have lead us to his (and our) second consecutive NC in 2016.

But if Jalen Hurts was our only QB for the next 5 seasons, "IMO" we'd probably win the SEC-W most of those years, and probably make the playoffs most of those years as well, but its unlikely we'd win even ONE single NC in that entire time.

I suppose it makes me a "hater" in some people's eyes to have this opinion. BUT IN NO WAY is this a negative comment about Jalen's character, his passion for the game, or his desire to win!!! NOT at All. It's solely a commentary about his UTTER lack of progress as a college QB in the past two seasons. He's a great young man, and a fantastic team-mate by all accounts. But in terms of talent, he could be a great (perhaps even Dominant) Tight end or Running Back, perhaps even at the next level. He's just not a Top-Tier College QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
IMO- IF Blake Sims could have come back for one more season, I have little doubt he'd have won the NC in his second year (which would have been 2015).
OR - IF Jake Coker could have come back for one more season, he'd almost certainly have lead us to his (and our) second consecutive NC in 2016.

But if Jalen Hurts was our only QB for the next 5 seasons, "IMO" we'd probably win the SEC-W most of those years, and probably make the playoffs most of those years as well, but its unlikely we'd win even ONE single NC in that entire time.

I suppose it makes me a "hater" in some people's eyes to have this opinion. BUT IN NO WAY is this a negative comment about Jalen's character, his passion for the game, or his desire to win!!! NOT at All. It's solely a commentary about his UTTER lack of progress as a college QB in the past two seasons. He's a great young man, and a fantastic team-mate by all accounts. But in terms of talent, he could be a great (perhaps even Dominant) Tight end or Running Back, perhaps even at the next level. He's just not a Top-Tier College QB.
Yeah, it's basic common sense. Although we've seen some pretty poor college qbs stay several years in the pros (Tyroy Taylor comes to mind).

Jalen's problem now is I don't think he sees the field that much anymore at Alabama. Without Tua, if he had 2 more years he might improve enough to get a shot, but common sense says otherwise.

He can get a degree from Bama and have a nice job making good money somewhere, but IMO the only way he makes stupid money like they're willing to pay in the NFL is if he gets there playing another position.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Yeah, it's basic common sense. Although we've seen some pretty poor college qbs stay several years in the pros (Tyroy Taylor comes to mind).

Jalen's problem now is I don't think he sees the field that much anymore at Alabama. Without Tua, if he had 2 more years he might improve enough to get a shot, but common sense says otherwise.

He can get a degree from Bama and have a nice job making good money somewhere, but IMO the only way he makes stupid money like they're willing to pay in the NFL is if he gets there playing another position.
I see him in the CFL someday.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Jalen(like most QBs)has heard "protect the ball" until he seems tentative. Other times he seems to not see the field. He is a runner. Understandable. Looks like to me the kid has a strong enough arm. If his confidence in his vision ever catches on...look out. But he is a Junior now. His game is different from Tua's. As far as the NFL....who knows? Personally...I wish a better future for the young man. Although the NFL could certainly use a young man of his nature.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.