2020 Prospect: ***** 5* QB Bryce Young Commits to Bama *****

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Bryce Young was the difference in this game and showed what a great prospect he is. We have another great one on the way. Roll Tide Bryce and way to go. We look forward to seeing you in Crimson.
Yes, I read that he was MVP and had 5 TD's, 3 passing and 2 rushing. Hopefully I can find the highlights and watch him some. I sure hope he sticks with Bama, and think he will. Knowing Coach O, he will try to get him especially if DJ Ugalelie tells him he's sticking with Clemson. I actually hope DJ does stick with Clemson. At least Bama would not have to play against him each year in regular season.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Allowing players to make money off their image
OK. I don't think so especially with the NCAA changing their stance. I think the money he is going to make with an Alabama football career will far outweigh what he could make in Cali selling t-shirts or doing a car commercial.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Allowing players to make money off their image
Even if that is the law that will prevail, it doesn't go into effect for 3 or 4 years. What is much more likely to happen is that the NCAA and Congress will work together to pass law at the Federal level which will take precedence over state law. I.e., the Cal law will have no direct effect on this years' recruiting.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Even if that is the law that will prevail, it doesn't go into effect for 3 or 4 years. What is much more likely to happen is that the NCAA and Congress will work together to pass law at the Federal level which will take precedence over state law. I.e., the Cal law will have no direct effect on this years' recruiting.
Yeah, and you already have Congress critters salivating over taxing it as income...…...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, and you already have Congress critters salivating over taxing it as income...…...
Well, it will be income. So yeah, it will be taxed. That's how it works in the real world - make more money, pay more taxes. Welcome to Grown-Up Land all you scholar-athletes!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Well, it will be income. So yeah, it will be taxed. That's how it works in the real world - make more money, pay more taxes. Welcome to Grown-Up Land all you scholar-athletes!
There's all sorts of variations being floated, and nobody knows what will eventually shake out.

One proposal that I thought was really interesting: You can make money off your image. But if you do, the value of your scholarship becomes taxable because it's now business revenue without which your image is worthless. For private schools (e.g., USCw, Stanford, Vanderbilt, TCU, SMU), and for out of state kids at public schools, that number would be substantial.

There has also been talk that the kid would get around that by creating a non-profit entity, which would in turn pay him a "salary." I think the IRS would anticipate that, and pre-emptively shut down the possibility.

Again, nobody knows if either, both, or neither of these will happen. But it's an illustration of how many implications are out there that nobody has thought about.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
There's all sorts of variations being floated, and nobody knows what will eventually shake out.

One proposal that I thought was really interesting: You can make money off your image. But if you do, the value of your scholarship becomes taxable because it's now business revenue without which your image is worthless. For private schools (e.g., USCw, Stanford, Vanderbilt, TCU, SMU), and for out of state kids at public schools, that number would be substantial.

There has also been talk that the kid would get around that by creating a non-profit entity, which would in turn pay him a "salary." I think the IRS would anticipate that, and pre-emptively shut down the possibility.

Again, nobody knows if either, both, or neither of these will happen. But it's an illustration of how many implications are out there that nobody has thought about.
I agree it will be interesting to see how all this shakes out. Without any major changes to tax code or special exemptions though, it will be normal income subject to current tax law. So now the big earners will probably have to hire accountants. And then there's the question of agents. If I can make money off my likeness, why can't I hire representation to make sure I maximize my opportunity? Can my agent give me an advance on potential earnings? If not, why not? What a mess.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree it will be interesting to see how all this shakes out. Without any major changes to tax code or special exemptions though, it will be normal income subject to current tax law. So now the big earners will probably have to hire accountants. And then there's the question of agents. If I can make money off my likeness, why can't I hire representation to make sure I maximize my opportunity? Can my agent give me an advance on potential earnings? If not, why not? What a mess.
Yeah, for maybe the first time in my life, I think Congressional intervention will be a good thing. It'll prevent 50 states from having 50 different sets of rules, and shut down a lot of legal posturing.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
And you think it's a mess for football, just wait until the basketball guys get going with the new rules. It's gonna be bonkers.

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking the Bryce Young thread. I'll shut up now, lol. :tongue:

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
And you think it's a mess for football, just wait until the basketball guys get going with the new rules. It's gonna be bonkers.

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking the Bryce Young thread. I'll shut up now, lol. :tongue:

Spot on!

BTW, I like your cereal! :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.