Game Thread: UGA @ Alabama (8 pm tip, SECN)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Second chance points by UGA.

UGA looks to be hurting at the guard spots.

Bama 48 to UGA 36 for the second half wasn't too bad; Tide did not look good for most of the first half trading points.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Hall played very few minutes in the 1st half in foul trouble and was just plain inneffective against their big lineup. Smith apparently had a concussion after his good work early so we were left with Giddens. All in all a solid win.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Had to go to bed at the half, when things were looking a little too tight. Glad to see that your offense turned up the heat in the second half.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Hall played very few minutes in the 1st half in foul trouble and was just plain inneffective against their big lineup. Smith apparently had a concussion after his good work early so we were left with Giddens. All in all a solid win.
He was loafing early on unless he was injured. I saw a few times where he was barely jogging down the court. But then later on he was playing and moving around normally so I assume he was not injured.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Agree. He has been invisible on defense this year. I think his blocks are down and he his fundamental effort on rebounding is poor. We need the Hall who was a rim protector up until this year. We absolutely need to beat Vandy Saturday.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...glad to get the win but we've got to pick it up on defense to finish out with enough wins to be invited to the big dance.
... We absolutely need to beat Vandy Saturday.
That's why the game story above labeling the Vandy game "high risk, no reward" for 'Bama - any win from this point forward is a reward, and winning at the antediluvian chamber of horrors Mem Gym by .5 point would be cause for celebration and confidence building to boot.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Nice finish after a slow and sluggish start. Have to keep the momentum going this weekend vs Vandy. We can keep alternating wins and losses. Need to string together a few wins here against lesser competition..

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That's why the game story above labeling the Vandy game "high risk, no reward" for 'Bama - any win from this point forward is a reward, and winning at the antediluvian chamber of horrors Mem Gym by .5 point would be cause for celebration and confidence building to boot.
I agree. We had to win last night, and we really need to win Saturday, but I don't have any confidence going to Nashville. It is an understatement to say that we haven't fared very well there over the last 30 years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It appears the 2018-2019 team has become part of what many wanted - a better offensive team. Unfortunately, the defense has taken a hit because of it.

Up almost 3 points per game from last year's average. Up 2.7 rebounds per game from last year. Rebound margin is up 5 more a game. 3FG% is up. FT% is up. Scoring margin also increased.

PPGA is up (70.6 to 72.4). Assists, blocks, and steals are down, though.

Bama plays better when in transition, which mainly happens from rebounds and turnovers. One has been solid. Need the other to get better over the next few weeks.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It appears the 2018-2019 team has become part of what many wanted - a better offensive team. Unfortunately, the defense has taken a hit because of it.

Up almost 3 points per game from last year's average. Up 2.7 rebounds per game from last year. Rebound margin is up 5 more a game. 3FG% is up. FT% is up. Scoring margin also increased.

PPGA is up (70.6 to 72.4). Assists, blocks, and steals are down, though.

Bama plays better when in transition, which mainly happens from rebounds and turnovers. One has been solid. Need the other to get better over the next few weeks.
I thought we might be better offensively by losing Sexton. Nobody developed around him last year. Seems Kira is developing into a great offensive threat without having to be the focal point. That's usually the preference you'd want out of a point guard.

But losing Sexton might explain the defense not being quite as good. He could check anybody's 1 or 2.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I thought we might be better offensively by losing Sexton. Nobody developed around him last year. Seems Kira is developing into a great offensive threat without having to be the focal point. That's usually the preference you'd want out of a point guard.

But losing Sexton might explain the defense not being quite as good. He could check anybody's 1 or 2.
I just checked the numbers. While steals are down, defensive rebounds are up and blocks are about the same.

Defensive rebounds per game, steals per game, and blocks per game combined:

2016: 35.8
2017: 36.7
2018: 37.6
2019: 36.3

Would like to get the PPGA down.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We are progressively getting better each year which is all you can ask. If we just play reasonably decent defense, we could potentially win out, but we all know we just aren't that consistent. This is a team that beat UK so we can beat any team one any given night. The problem is we just seem to lose focus at times. Mack has shown he can shoot, and rebound, but he sometimes forgets he has to stop the other teams players as well. I do think we are a better team when he is on the court. We need Donta to quit sulking and just play. He is pretty good when he wants to be, but he doesn't always want to be. It was encouraging to see Galin Smith play well in limited minutes. Hopefully he can build off of that going forward. I thought Giddens gave us some quality minutes as well.

Oddly enough I told my wife just before the game Kira Lewis may be wearing down. Boy was I wrong. He may turn out to be one of the best PG's we have every had if continues to develop. I also thought Dazon had one of his best games. He had a ton of assists and shot the ball well when he was open. I hope we send a Shaman to the gym at Vanderbilt to exercise the demons living there.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We are progressively getting better each year which is all you can ask. If we just play reasonably decent defense, we could potentially win out, but we all know we just aren't that consistent. This is a team that beat UK so we can beat any team one any given night. The problem is we just seem to lose focus at times. Mack has shown he can shoot, and rebound, but he sometimes forgets he has to stop the other teams players as well. I do think we are a better team when he is on the court. We need Donta to quit sulking and just play. He is pretty good when he wants to be, but he doesn't always want to be. It was encouraging to see Galin Smith play well in limited minutes. Hopefully he can build off of that going forward. I thought Giddens gave us some quality minutes as well.

Oddly enough I told my wife just before the game Kira Lewis may be wearing down. Boy was I wrong. He may turn out to be one of the best PG's we have every had if continues to develop. I also thought Dazon had one of his best games. He had a ton of assists and shot the ball well when he was open. I hope we send a Shaman to the gym at Vanderbilt to exercise the demons living there.
You need to send the refs glasses, and let Petty have 2-3 hours on the court all by himself. He will either have 30 pts or will be launching them into the bleachers

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

They are not getting Donta the ball. He has been open when some guys have drove to the basket for easy dunks and they just have not gotten him the ball. He may be frustrated at the lack of offensive touches.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.