Is Dabo Now "The Man" ?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Is Dabo Now " The Man " ?

If by "The Man" you mean "the current national champion" then this is not even a point of dispute.

If you mean "he's an excellent coach," you're exactly right. (The dude has beaten Urban Meyer twice and is 2-2 against Saban. 4-2 against the two best coaches of your generation? That's damned good).

If by "the Man" you mean "the greatest CFB coach ever," well, that's a verdict of history.

Not yet. Not even close. As John Wooden observed, "A lot of teams have won one in a row."

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

Well, right now Dabo is the man....of the moment. Yes, he did just beat the GOAT in one game. When Dabo whens more NC's that Saban, then he will be the man.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL

Our personnel deficiency on D was real. Not only with the secondary but with LB as well. Would Thompson have crept up and gotten burned on the third and long had he trusted the LBs? Having to put Moses at DE was not good either. Coaching didnt help but it was not the only problem.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I may get cussed and banned. But I felt the coaching the last 2 or 3 games was subpar.

We came out on fire vs OU. But fell into the undisciplined trash talk and ridiculous penalties. And did not finish them how we should have.

Game plan was not good against Clemson. I feel Locksly had distractions with new staff, recruiting, etc.

I felt if we did not have so much 5star talent we could have lost a couple of games. I understand Saban has to continually fill coordinator spots. And that’s not an easy change.

Dabo is a genius to keep playing the “we’re just little ole Clemson”. The underdog story to his players. No one is giving us a chance.
Unfortunately that card is going to be very hard to continue to play. Someone said it best in another thread, but it is exponentially easier to coach from a position of failure than a position of success. It's tough to convince young athletes they need to improve when they just won a national title. It's tough to convince them to keep giving it everything they've got and hyper focused when they're beating the brakes off teams every week. When everybody in the media is crowning you the greatest thing since sliced bread. Dabo's "little ole Clemson" card has now expired. He's about to know what it's like to have to motivate and coach from the position Saban has had to do for the last five or six years.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
There is always going to be new narratives from the talking heads (.ie ESPN) to keep their customers interested. There will be talk of Saban being a “has been” (just like the comic books use to do with Superman when the latest superhero came along). The reality is we just didn’t have the horses this year to dominate our opponent. When I think of all the changes we made from the personnel on the D from last year it’s no wonder we had a setback. The main thing we have to do as a fan base is be real and just move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018

Even Dabo with his awe shucks we on the ROY bus talk knows he is not the man. Even he understands the challenge of staying on top.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Saban is better, and I expect that Alabama will win when the two square off again, but I don't have Clemson in the CFP in 2019 so you may have to wait a few years.
Curious who you have in the CFP? Clemson has a joke of a schedule with the ACC being the worst of the Power 5 conferences. They likely do not face a team ranked in the top 15 all year before the playoffs. The best they face is aTm and they are a 4 loss team. Even if they were to lose to aTm, they’d have to lose in the ACC Champ game to get left out. Kind of like BAMA, they have to play their way out.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
He is one of the top coaches in college football
His program is one of the top programs in college football
He is a heck of a good coach
BUT he would have to at least when the next two in a row (which would give him a three-peat) before "the man" conversation can realistically start.

As of now, the title belongs to Saban and rightfully so

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
No.

Do we have zero patience as a society now?

He's not "THE MAN." Clemson isn't a "Dynasty." Alabama's dynasty isn't over and Nick Saban has not lost his touch. These things may happen some day, but they have not as of yet.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Unfortunately that card is going to be very hard to continue to play. Someone said it best in another thread, but it is exponentially easier to coach from a position of failure than a position of success. It's tough to convince young athletes they need to improve when they just won a national title. It's tough to convince them to keep giving it everything they've got and hyper focused when they're beating the brakes off teams every week. When everybody in the media is crowning you the greatest thing since sliced bread. Dabo's "little ole Clemson" card has now expired. He's about to know what it's like to have to motivate and coach from the position Saban has had to do for the last five or six years.
I think he will still try to play the disrespect card by saying no one gives us any shot at winning it again. Dabo is the man next to the man. If he keeps this up it in 20 years sports historians will be talking about the two giants of Alabama and Clemson. Hard to be a truly great team with no competition. Beating Clemson is not like beating UCF. History will look on our victories over them even kinder now. If they are there next year we will beat them with out a doubt.

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017

Saban is still "the man".... Dabo is the unquestioned 2nd place at the moment and it's a pretty big drop behind them both.

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA

I think you are correct.

I don't want Dabo to win another championship unless it is when he replaces Saban. If that happens, I think Dabo could actually surpass Saban and Bear Bryant, only because he is fairly young right now and has plenty of time.
I don't EVER want him to be our coach. And if he ever is, he STILL won't replace Saban.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Curious who you have in the CFP? Clemson has a joke of a schedule with the ACC being the worst of the Power 5 conferences. They likely do not face a team ranked in the top 15 all year before the playoffs. The best they face is aTm and they are a 4 loss team. Even if they were to lose to aTm, they’d have to lose in the ACC Champ game to get left out. Kind of like BAMA, they have to play their way out.
Agreed. Clemson will have to lose two games to not make it in. The only other scenario they would not be in would be 4 undefeated Power 5 teams.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I find it humorous that every time Bama/Saban loses a game the media, other fanbases, some in our fanbase say the Bama dynasty is over and Saban is not the man any more and the game has passed him by. History says otherwise and we/Saban prove it. Not surprised with the media and other fanbases since that is what they want so badly but we in our fanbase should know better, at least for the next 5-7 years. Heard several callers on Bham local radio say Saban is done and needs to be replaced (and Dabo was mentioned from some).:rolleye2:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I hope that’s all the pundits talk about this entire offseason. I want them saying Dabo has surpassed Saban now as the best coach in football. Let them anoint Lawerence as the Heisman front runner. The pressure for 2019 Clemson will be unreal.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I hope that’s all the pundits talk about this entire offseason. I want them saying Dabo has surpassed Saban now as the best coach in football. Let them anoint Lawerence as the Heisman front runner. The pressure for 2019 Clemson will be unreal.
The question though is, even with added pressure, is the Clemson schedule so light it won't really matter. Unless the ACC becomes a powerhouse conference over the off season, their toughest game looks like A&M, and they get them at Clemson. I certainly hope all they do is talk about Clemson all year and it gets in their heads.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.