2020 Prospect: 2020 QB Carson Beck Updates (Decommits)

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Re: *** 2020 QB Carson Beck Commits to Bama ***

Looks like the yearly playoff appearances, NC's, elite OL and WR talent Bama is stockpiling is attracting great QB talent as well.
There will be some transfers but the "cream always rises to the top" ......and will be ours. RTR
Tua is changing the position for us imo

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Tua is changing the position for us imo
Don't you still think Saban will be very particular when it comes to his QBs? My thought for so long was that in the past, it wasn't that we couldn't get elite QBs, it's just that Coach knew that we could win with a QB that handed it off plenty, made a few plays a game, and didn't put the D in a bad position with turnovers. I guess with the changes in the game, we have to have a QB that can make all the throws. But he still doesn't want an all-out gunslinger, does he?

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Don't you still think Saban will be very particular when it comes to his QBs? My thought for so long was that in the past, it wasn't that we couldn't get elite QBs, it's just that Coach knew that we could win with a QB that handed it off plenty, made a few plays a game, and didn't put the D in a bad position with turnovers. I guess with the changes in the game, we have to have a QB that can make all the throws. But he still doesn't want an all-out gunslinger, does he?
All you need to do is look at the second half of the UGA game for your answer. Tua opened up the running game and made the defense not know what was coming.They had to respect the entire field not just the LOS. That combined with the defense we will always implore is just nasty. Don't forget the playmakers we have been getting at a higher rate.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

We have recruited QB's at a high level for the past 7-8 years but most have not worked out. AJ, Phillip Sims, Copper Bateman, David Cornwell and Blake Barnett all participated in the Elite 11 and were highly rated. Barnett and Tua actually both won the Elite 11.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Likely signing two next year with Ashford (getting a look this fall) & DJ from cali. Interesting note on all though is they could all go high in MLB draft.
What about Harrison Bailey out of Georgia, the kid we offered when he was in 8th grade? It's becoming the norm.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

before Beck &DJ I thought we were right there and he was suppose to make a commitment this summer but thats no longer the case. I think we will be deliberate with who else to come aboard.
I'm guessing we may take 2 QB's in most classes due to the new transfer attitudes of QB's. This way we will most likely never be real short-handed like it appeared we may be this year. Is this the thought by taking 2 in both the '19 and '20 classes?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I think we can still win like that - i.e. Jake Coker. the added thing he had to what is in bold is ability to get the ball to all areas of the field to at least keep the D honest and have them defend the entire field. Even without an NFL arm, he could make the reads and get the ball where a playmaker could do something with it. Even Blake Sims did that pretty well to most parts of the field.

That said, I think we'd rather have a guy at an elite level than not, and as others said we've recruited and had on campus some of the highest rated QBs in their classes, but for whatever reason, they didn't pan out till Tua.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I think we can still win like that - i.e. Jake Coker. the added thing he had to what is in bold is ability to get the ball to all areas of the field to at least keep the D honest and have them defend the entire field. Even without an NFL arm, he could make the reads and get the ball where a playmaker could do something with it. Even Blake Sims did that pretty well to most parts of the field.

That said, I think we'd rather have a guy at an elite level than not, and as others said we've recruited and had on campus some of the highest rated QBs in their classes, but for whatever reason, they didn't pan out till Tua.
QBs and OL are the most difficult to evaluate and project because of the intangibles that are involved. Coaching in those areas is a necessity. Enos should be a very valuable man. Pittman (OL) at UGA scares me a bit.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

threw for 329 yards and five touchdowns in the Mustangs' 37-35 upset of Miami Columbus in the FHSAA 8A state finals on Saturday.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Hope he comes, but this is far from over.

Jacksonville is about 70 miles from Gainesville -- about the same distance as Tuscaloosa to Trussville.

There will be plenty of competition in Tuscaloosa, and not so much at UF. Mullen has a great rep as a developer of QBs. Enos is certainly no slouch, but Beck wouldn't have to worry about OC or QB coach turnover, only HC turnover.

Mullen won't let a little thing like a commitment stop him, and Beck will be under huge pressure from Gator fans to flip. Unless Beck has totally shut down his recruitment (and I've read nothing to indicate that he has), Mullen will fight tooth, nail, and dirty unless and until he (Beck) asks the Florida coaches not to call anymore.

Last edited:

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Jacksonville is about 70 miles from Gainesville -- about the same distance as Tuscaloosa to Trussville.

There will be plenty of competition in Tuscaloosa, and not so much at UF. Mullen has a great rep as a developer of QBs. Enos is certainly no slouch, but Beck wouldn't have to worry about OC or QB coach turnover, only HC turnover.

Mullen won't let a little thing like a commitment stop him, and Beck will be under huge pressure from Gator fans to flip. Unless Beck has totally shut down his recruitment (and I've read nothing to indicate that he has), Mullen will fight tooth, nail, and dirty unless and until he (Beck) asks the Florida coaches not to call anymore.
UF wants Dual threats doesn't fit Beck. UF Baseball had him committed but Mullen didn't like him because he doesn't fit his system. Teams are hesitant to offer because bama has him. He is very very solid to bama. The next guy is Robbie from Hoover. (who I hope we take since him or Beck could be high picks in baseball)

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

this is his latest interview. hopefully he sticks to his commitment.

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...about-state-title-solid-with-Tide--126814504/

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

UF wants Dual threats doesn't fit Beck. UF Baseball had him committed but Mullen didn't like him because he doesn't fit his system. Teams are hesitant to offer because bama has him. He is very very solid to bama. The next guy is Robbie from Hoover. (who I hope we take since him or Beck could be high picks in baseball)
I sincerely hope you’re right, jam. I’m just wary of early (a year or more out) commitments from highly ranked out of state kids where their home state has nationally competitive P5 programs of it’s own. It’s hard to get those guys to stick for a solid year.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

I sincerely hope you’re right, jam. I’m just wary of early (a year or more out) commitments from highly ranked out of state kids where their home state has nationally competitive P5 programs of it’s own. It’s hard to get those guys to stick for a solid year.
I get what you mean but Florida is different than Bama, LA, Texas etc. Its more like Atlanta or Nashville

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I get what you mean but Florida is different than Bama, LA, Texas etc. Its more like Atlanta or Nashville
I also get what he means but it happens less at Bama than anywhere else. Hoping he sticks since he looks like a great prospect.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.