Needing to be talked off the ledge here! (he's scared of auburn)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Glad I don't live in Alabama for the next two weeks. This is SO Auburn. They are Schizophrenic! A few weeks ago they can barely beat Mercer and then they turn around a play a great game and upset Georgia (who we agree was likely overated).

It runs in their fans too. A few weeks ago they want to fire Gus and they are openly talking about who the next coach might be. Now, Gus is driving the bus like a boss because of ONE game.

Here's a little thing to remember. Auburn not only played their best game of the year, they probably got Georgia's worst. Rarely, if ever can you follow up a great game with a similar one...and they will not get the "help" Georgia gave them against us.

And don't forget this....Nick Saban is still our coach and DC Pruitt is pretty good too!

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Here is what I will admit to:

1. Auburn has a good team, good enough to beat Alabama.
2. Playing at Jordan-Hare is always a challenge.
3. Gus Malzahn is still a HS caliber coach disguise as a college HC.
4. Bama has Nick Saban, Auburn does not.
5. Even with the injuries, Alabama is still a dang good team in their own right.
6. All this "eeyoring" is because Auburn played their best game in years, while Alabama had to win a tough fought against a vastly underrated MSU team.

But what really separate Alabama from Auburn? Alabama has a JALEN HURTS, Auburn does not. Jalen will make Auburn's defense miserable.

What annoys me the most that despite dominating CFB for nearly a decade, there are still Bama fans that are "scared" by any team in CFB. Really? Bama boys will be ready to play against Auburn, just like Burner babies will be against Bama. It will be a dogfight. "Scared"? Not even.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I notice we dived into basically three camps.

1. Pot-banger camp: We will be lucky to win another game.

2. Concerned camp: We better bring our A-game.

3. Sunshine Pumper camp: No worry, no problem, no concern.
The 'we'll beat 'em by 100' camp (#3) is annoying, but not as much as the 'we're going to lose this game' camp (#1) when Bama is down by 3 in the first quarter.

#2 is where I am most weeks.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I notice we dived into basically three camps.

1. Pot-banger camp: We will be lucky to win another game.

2. Concerned camp: We better bring our A-game.

3. Sunshine Pumper camp: No worry, no problem, no concern.
You mean the super Eeyores, the standard Eeyores, and the fans who have been paying attention during Alabama games over the last 10 years?

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Here is what I will admit to:

1. Auburn has a good team, good enough to beat Alabama.
2. Playing at Jordan-Hare is always a challenge.
3. Gus Malzahn is still a HS caliber coach disguise as a college HC.
4. Bama has Nick Saban, Auburn does not.
5. Even with the injuries, Alabama is still a dang good team in their own right.
6. All this "eeyoring" is because Auburn played their best game in years, while Alabama had to win a tough fought against a vastly underrated MSU team.

But what really separate Alabama from Auburn? Alabama has a JALEN HURTS, Auburn does not. Jalen will make Auburn's defense miserable.

What annoys me the most that despite dominating CFB for nearly a decade, there are still Bama fans that are "scared" by any team in CFB. Really? Bama boys will be ready to play against Auburn, just like Burner babies will be against Bama. It will be a dogfight. "Scared"? Not even.
Totally agree about Hurts, he's the x-factor for sure, especially if our injuries continue to cause defensive struggles. Look, Auburn might have beaten UGA no matter what, but they dominated because they made them 1-dimensional. And that was a lot easier to do because Fromm is a statue compared to Hurts. I really think there will be 2 very key issues that will determine how the Iron Bowl goes:
1. How gap sound we are on defense - which of course is greatly affected by how well we deal with the ILB injuries. If have good run fits in the box, I'm fairly comfortable our OLBs can keep the edges contained.
2. The performance of Hurts, and especially on 3rd down. If we can control TOP and be efficient on O - i.e. score on a good percentage of drives and avoid 3 and outs - we're going to make AU very uncomfortable.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The 'we'll beat 'em by 100' camp (#3) is annoying, but not as much as the 'we're going to lose this game' camp (#1) when Bama is down by 3 in the first quarter.

#2 is where I am most weeks.
Normally I am #2 also but all these injuries have me worried. We are a wounded Tide -- @Auburn. I'm not thinking we will lose, so not a #1, but hoping our dinged up guys get some rest this week (but don't tell Coach I said that :D).

RTR2u

Hall of Fame
Nov 30, 2013
Georgia
I appreciate Selma's insight of the averages. I guess I never thought of it that way before. That's pretty neat.

sonoma

Scout Team
Sep 14, 2004
Re: Needing to be talked off the edge here!

The prophet has spoken. Selmaborntidefan.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I will be first to admit the Barn were impressive against Jawja. However, I doubt they will play that well again. I will never doubt the men in Crimson against that rabble. RTR.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I appreciate Selma's insight of the averages. I guess I never thought of it that way before. That's pretty neat.
Ditto on Selma's insight. I was one who didn't think we played particularly well, (until the 4th quarter), but when you look at what we held them to compared to their usual numbers, it doesn't look quite so bad. If we had unleashed the offense a little earlier, maybe it doesn't end up a nail biter.

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA

Lackluster?

State averaged 428 ypg coming in and we held them to 330.

They average 33.9 ppg and we held them to 24.

They average 259 yards rushing and we held them to 172.

They average holding the ball 32 minutes per game so their ball control offense was nothing new.

MSU gives up 124 yards per game rushing, we had 202. They give up 18 ppg, we had 31.

They surrender a total of 289 ypg and we had nearly 450.

Now there are, of course, mirror statistics.

Our defense gives up 9.8 ppg and surrendered 24.
We give up 75 yards per game rushing and surrendered more than twice that.

If I had time to sit down and cut out the 'fuzzy stats' that skew data (e.g. cupcake games with skewed stats), I would arrive at what I call the "corrected average performance." But let's just for time's sake look at the UNCORRECTED AVERAGE, because it's usually more slanted against performance.

Mississippi State averages 38 ppg and we give up 9.8 so and UNCORRECTED AVERAGE performance would suggest MSU would score 24.35 points per game, meaning an AVERAGE performance by BOTH the MSU offense and the Tide defense would give State 24.35 points. In fact, they scored 24 points. These data
are slightly skewed by the 106 points MSU got in their first two games against nobodies, so just guesstimating I'd say an AVERAGE performance corrected
would probably net 20 points.

MSU gives up 18 ppg, also slightly skewed by the first two games, so I'll deduct those because one is a shutout, which just means I have to divide by a lower number. MSU's CORRECTED average then would be they give up 23.5 ppg in an AVERAGE performance. We average 40.9 ppg (seriously, we have the #8 offense in the country) and they give up 23.5, so an AVERAGE performance would net 32.2 points in a game. (It's kind of pointless to take out the cupcakes for us because we average almost 41 ppg and had 41 ppg in both the CSU and Fresno games - plus, to what degree are they cupcakes compared to State's opener?)

So this would mean an AVERAGE performance by BOTH teams would give us this final score:
Alabama 32
Miss St 24

What was the final score of the game again?

Now keep in mind that I had no idea when I began this post what the numbers would show. But the NUMBERS (and yes, they CAN be misleading sometimes before anyone argues that) show that both teams basically played the sum total expected average for BOTH teams and the results bear that out.

Of course, statistics DON'T show problems. State got seven points because of the leaping penalty, a circumstance that also likely elevated State's overall performance on offense for the game while lowering our D's performance.

On average, your average performances are going to be average.

Average WAS, in fact, good enough to beat Miss State. We didn't hold them well below par, but we didn't give up a lot above it, either. The reason our numbers are so low (9.8 ppg) is because MOST OF THE TIME we play WELL ABOVE AVERAGE.

So Saturday was not lackluster, it was the expected norm based on the combined data of both teams thus far this year. This data is meaningless in September as teams find their rhythm; it becomes more useful over the course of a season.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they just went a little farther down the field and ended up punting anyway?( Bolded sentence) Gained about 30 yards and maybe flipped field position but I didn't think they scored.....

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

This is why I never post during the game. People get too emotional and say things like "I'm scared of the barn":rolleye2:

I would hope those who stepped up at LB will be better with a few games under their belt. Hard to think they should be all world killers in their first start.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I really need you guys to talk me down. After last night’s lackluster performance by the defense I have my doubts we can hang in there with aubie, much less make a playoff and national championship run. Y’all please tell me I’m overreacting!!!
You forgot the blue font.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Rarely, if ever can you follow up a great game with a similar one...
The only thing Auburn is worried about right now is blowing up an Alabama team that did not look so hot against State. The problem is Auburn does not play Alabama next, they play ULM. A team that Alabama is probably somewhat familiar with. ULM has a little firepower this year and although it should be a cakewalk for Auburn to motor grade them, I would not be surprised if ULM hangs around a little longer in the game on Saturday. In fact, it would make my day if they caught an Auburn team looking ahead and beat them.

uofaJO1987

1st Team
Oct 25, 2011
Highland Home, AL
First off thanks guys. Second, not a troll or an eeyore as some accusations on the thread stated. I’ve been on the site since 2011. I just don’t post very often. And after reading selmaborntidefan’s post I’m all better now. Also liked the objective view of the OSU guy. Let’s forget about this thread.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
First off thanks guys. Second, not a troll or an eeyore as some accusations on the thread stated. I’ve been on the site since 2011. I just don’t post very often. And after reading selmaborntidefan’s post I’m all better now. Also liked the objective view of the OSU guy. Let’s forget about this thread.
No worries. Just having fun with you. When you make a post like that, you can expect all that ribbing here. ;-)

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
I appreciate the concerns about the defense, however, after rewatching the game, especially the fourth quarter, several leaders emerged on offense. I think these guys will carry the team, even if that means an Oklahoma type win (which I seriously doubt ever happens to Alabama).
Jalen > Stidem
Calvin best receiver in the country
Damien made some serious blitz pickups in the last two drives.
Josh ⚡ for the offense

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
You mean the super Eeyores, the standard Eeyores, and the fans who have been paying attention during Alabama games over the last 10 years?
To be fair 2 isn't a condemnation of Bama but an exultation of Auburn. Acknowledging that Bama will need to execute at the top of their level isn't doubting Bama but giving due to the opponents skill level.

I feel as though I can say #2 and still feel confident that we come out with a win.

I would not agree with anybody who thinks Auburn are pretenders. Yes, they have faults that can be exposed by the talent and firepower of Bama but they have also been playing to a high standard themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.