The Tax Thread

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
the obama admin started a lot of initiatives to cut costs and improve efficiency in the federal government.
Indeed, as did Clinton. At least Clinton came in under budget, though some would argue at great cost later on (military and espionage).

I admit it always kinda bugged me that people were so amazed that Obama was reducing the deficit (which I do applaud) as if still having to borrow money to pay the bills was okay.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I've never seen any improvement in the way the government spends money. ..... The best that can be done is limit the role of government to shrink the waste.
ETA: Regarding the government purchase of thousands of dollars of fidget spinners in the other thread .... Maybe that purchase can be done more efficiently. Maybe. A better way to go would be not to purchase something so ridiculous in the first place. The scope and size of government needs to be greatly limited if we are serious about reducing the waste and stupidity. No reason to reward government with more tax money.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
If government waste was completely eliminated I think we would still run a deficit because of the amount spent on social security, medicare, defense, and interest is much bigger than tax revenue. So, while we certainly need to get rid of waste, you also either have to increase taxes or break the promises the government has made to people about services they will provide if they pay taxes.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And you would be the first to read it, right?
Why don't y'all make a deal and include Charmin in on it. You'll release your paper with your findings and 92 and Charmin can start sending in extra income taxes above and beyond what they owe. That way both parties are putting their money where their mouth is. Y'all keep us updated on how that goes.

;) :biggrin2:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If government waste was completely eliminated I think we would still run a deficit because of the amount spent on social security, medicare, defense, and interest is much bigger than tax revenue. So, while we certainly need to get rid of waste, you also either have to increase taxes or break the promises the government has made to people about services they will provide if they pay taxes.
Trim 10% off last year's budget and you're already in the black based on federal tax revenue vs federal spending in 2018.

Yes, we likely need more revenue, but like any other situation - trim the fat first. You can only leach so much from people before they find ways to avoid it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it is a fair take to say that our national budget is misallocated in some areas, wasteful in others, but also lacking in a few critical areas. We almost certainly spend too much on defense but so much of the government subsidization of middle class employment comes from that public-private interaction of defense related contracting. I don't know how to start untangling that mess while not destroying entire communities like Huntsville. It requires big, thorough planning that transitions stuff away from strictly defense research, development, and production to a mix of domestic public works and defense.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I can't help but laugh at the people who, out of one side of the mouth, complain about the reduced size of this year's tax refund.

Then, out of the other side of the mouth, rail against the budget deficit.

Apparently, there's a sizeable portion of the voting populace that believes in Santa Claus.

A lot of people have more in common with Alexandria Osario Cortez and Corey Booker than they would like to think.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
From the article:
According to the poll, about 33 percent of Republicans said they would pay less tax; 17 percent said they would pay more.

Among Democrats, about 8 percent said they would pay less; about 45 percent said they would pay more.
That's fascinating - could the tax plan have been designed for this purpose? If so, how?

Or are these people lying simply to skew the results?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
That's fascinating - could the tax plan have been designed for this purpose? If so, how?
The very next paragraph offers one possibility:

"The $10,000 cap imposed on the deduction of state and local taxes, which was previously unlimited, has been seen having the greatest effect on taxpayers in high-tax states, including New York, New Jersey, Illinois and California, which are all largely Democratic."

The results probably depend a lot on the location of the respondents and how their employers interpreted the IRS withholding recommendations.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I can't help but laugh at the people who, out of one side of the mouth, complain about the reduced size of this year's tax refund.

Then, out of the other side of the mouth, rail against the budget deficit.

Apparently, there's a sizeable portion of the voting populace that believes in Santa Claus.

A lot of people have more in common with Alexandria Osario Cortez and Corey Booker than they would like to think.
Santa Claus? You think tax refunds are some kind of handout?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Bump. Still waiting for an answer explaining how people wanting a refund equates to believing in Santa Claus.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think it is a fair take to say that our national budget is misallocated in some areas, wasteful in others, but also lacking in a few critical areas. We almost certainly spend too much on defense but so much of the government subsidization of middle class employment comes from that public-private interaction of defense related contracting. I don't know how to start untangling that mess while not destroying entire communities like Huntsville. It requires big, thorough planning that transitions stuff away from strictly defense research, development, and production to a mix of domestic public works and defense.
HSV has made a lot of progress in diversifying away from defense. One paradox is that the trained STEM workforce here was a huge draw in pulling in the 4,000 job Mazda/Toyota plant, with its 11x multiplier (+450 more jobs at the Toyota engine plant this week alone). Now the one billion FBI HQ and the 1500-2000 FBI jobs, with a 4x multiplier, that was all Dick Shelby... :D

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Bump. Still waiting for an answer explaining how people wanting a refund equates to believing in Santa Claus.
What's hard to understand? This is literally what you quoted:

"I can't help but laugh at the people who, out of one side of the mouth, complain about the reduced size of this year's tax refund.

Then, out of the other side of the mouth, rail against the budget deficit."

Is it difficult to understand his meaning? Seems clear to me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.