The policy and politics of Trumpism

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
President Trump signed an executive order Friday allowing the Air Force to recall as many as 1,000 retired pilots to active duty to address a shortage in combat fliers, the White House and Pentagon announced.

By law, only 25 retired officers can be brought back to serve in any one branch. Trump's order removes those caps by expanding a state of national emergency declared by President George W. Bush after 9/11, signaling what could be a significant escalation in the 16-year-old global war on terror.

"We anticipate that the Secretary of Defense will delegate the authority to the Secretary of the Air Force to recall up to 1,000 retired pilots for up to three years," Navy Cdr. Gary Ross, a Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement.

But the executive order itself is not specific to the Air Force, and could conceivably be used in the future to call up more officers and in other branches.
Air Force will recall as many as 1,000 retired pilots

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Just so we're clear, supporting some form of gun control is not the same as being "antigun".

You really haven't been paying attention to the NRA over the past, say, 40 years....
Kind of like supporting some form of abortion control.

...and immigration control.

...and voting control.

Last edited:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I don't think there are that many in the IRR...
Every soldier, whether they sign a 3 year or 6 year contract has actually signed an 8 year contract and whatever is left after their active contract is irr. People in the National Guard fear being activated like this and thrown into a unit they do not know and deploying with them. Therefore, alot of them extend their active time to cover irr to avoid that.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think Trump meant well in his phone call. The problem was he lacks the social skills and empathy needed to have such a conversation.

Frankly, I would advise a president to not make these calls at all. In the era of cell phones, people will often be somewhere they can’t take a call, especially one of this nature. Then there is the political issue. A person might have no desire to talk to a president of the other party.

With recent presidents having no real military experience, they likely have no idea what service is like or why somebody would join the military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Every soldier, whether they sign a 3 year or 6 year contract has actually signed an 8 year contract and whatever is left after their active contract is irr. People in the National Guard fear being activated like this and thrown into a unit they do not know and deploying with them. Therefore, alot of them extend their active time to cover irr to avoid that.
I realize that. That's what I was saying - I don't think there are 1,000 pilots in the IRR. I think the active reserve is also short about 300. The Air Force is actively recruiting pilots with incentives, if there's anyone out there 28 years old or younger, 5'5" and meets the other criteria...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.