Truth behind the trees at auburn.

acbl_phill

Scout Team
Aug 25, 2010
Birmingham
http://issuu.com/alumniau/docs/toomersoaks

I know that this has been posted here before but I thought it would be a good time to repost for those that have never read it and for any lurking auburn fans.

In 2007 the university of auburn had declared the trees were dying. The rolling of the trees and pressure washing them is one of the causes. And during the seventies it was popular to roll the trees and then light the toilet paper on fire. This is what led to the pressure washing.

If the auburn fan base really cared for those trees they would not have put them through decades of abuse.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Yes, I have that document bookmarked too but remember, you just can't get through to the cult once the programming is done. The koolaid is so sweet to those who are willing to drink.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Doesn't change Harvey Updike's intent one iota. I remain ashamed that he is a fan of my University.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Doesn't change Harvey Updike's intent one iota. I remain ashamed that he is a fan of my University.

I agree 100%. However, I also believe that if your out there being a JA (whoever put that jersey on CPB) then you don't get any say-so in terms of what someone does to you in return. You get what you get.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I don't keep up with the tree saga. What ever became of Updyke? It's been 2+ years, was he convicted? Is he serving time? Was he found mentally incompetent? Did he cop a plea? Was there ever a trial? Just curious.

jef0071

Suspended
Dec 19, 2005
Hewitt, Texas, United States
what Mr Updyke did was wrong, but he is a good person that just went a lil too far with his hatred for the Barn. I dont know Mr Updyke, but would Love to watch a game with him, no one can deny the man Loved the University of ALABAMA, im sure had he known what a lot of BAMA fans would think, and how the school would have reacted, Mr Updyke would not have went anywhere near then stupid trees.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
what Mr Updyke did was wrong, but he is a good person that just went a lil too far with his hatred for the Barn. I dont know Mr Updyke, but would Love to watch a game with him, no one can deny the man Loved the University of ALABAMA, im sure had he known what a lot of BAMA fans would think, and how the school would have reacted, Mr Updyke would not have went anywhere near then stupid trees.

You serious, Clark?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
http://issuu.com/alumniau/docs/toomersoaks

I know that this has been posted here before but I thought it would be a good time to repost for those that have never read it and for any lurking auburn fans.

In 2007 the university of auburn had declared the trees were dying. The rolling of the trees and pressure washing them is one of the causes. And during the seventies it was popular to roll the trees and then light the toilet paper on fire. This is what led to the pressure washing.

If the auburn fan base really cared for those trees they would not have put them through decades of abuse.
They actually didn't start rolling the trees until the early '90s. Before that, they just rolled the power lines, but, when the lines were buried, they started rolling the trees. Even before the rolling began, the trees were barely hanging on. Their root systems had been paved over and they are far to the north out of their range, since they are normally only found along the coast...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I don't disagree, but I'm tired of national media and local goons carrying on as if Updyke alone is responsible for those trees going down. This is a chance for decades of Aubies to absolve themselves of years of stupidity.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Harvey Updike's trial is scheduled sometime around April of this year. I agree that the Auburn students were inflicting a slow death on those trees and they were destined to die anyway. Still, I can't understand how anybody can have a mindset that would drive them to poison those trees, then follow it up by calling a radio station and bragging about it. What was he thinking? It certainly was not his brightest moment.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Harvey Updike's trial is scheduled sometime around April of this year. I agree that the Auburn students were inflicting a slow death on those trees and they were destined to die anyway. Still, I can't understand how anybody can have a mindset that would drive them to poison those trees, then follow it up by calling a radio station and bragging about it. What was he thinking? It certainly was not his brightest moment.
He's an idiot, and unfortunately, he's not the lone ranger in that regard. I'm surprised that I'm still surprised about the things I hear happening in the world these days.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Regardless of anyone's opinion of Harvey Updike, Harvey secured a poison, went to Auburn, and by his own admission, poisoned the trees. (Not a terribly smart criminal)
Bragging about his misdeeds on the Finebaum Show, set the stage to question his
mental capacity and if he was fit to stand trial.
Courts ultimately decided in Auburn's favor. Auburn prevailed and Harvey's Vandalism
was upped to a Felony
A further complication to prosecution is that Harvey Updike is not a well man...

The trees were already beginning to 'Circle the Drain', but Harvey hastened their demise.
NOW
Auburn wants their pound of flesh. (From their standpoint it's understandable.)

The biggest question that has delayed prosecution of Harvey concerns his mental state.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
They actually didn't start rolling the trees until the early '90s. Before that, they just rolled the power lines, but, when the lines were buried, they started rolling the trees. Even before the rolling began, the trees were barely hanging on. Their root systems had been paved over and they are far to the north out of their range, since they are normally only found along the coast...

this is correct. the tree's have been supposedly bad off for as long as i could read a newspaper. i remember reading about it about once a year at least. so basically for the past 25 years or so.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
What should be intuitively obvious to the casual gardener ... The trees' roots are covered in concrete. Try growing a tree in a flower pot and see how it reacts. The root system on a healthy tree looks similar to a mirror image of the tree above ground. If those roots are not allowed to grow and collect nutrients/water etc, the tree will suffer an impact. Stress those trees with abuse (toilet paper, fire and pressure washing), a constant barrage of vehicle exhaust, elevated temperatures from concrete and asphalt without ventilation, limited nutrients and water to roots and 100 years of barner body fluids ... the trees never stood a chance. Yes, Updyke is an idiot, a criminal and a disgrace but the trees were doomed the day they were planted.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
It's classic immaturity, screaming "hey, look at me. look what i did." If he had truly set out on a plan just to harm the emotions of the Auburn people, he would have never claimed responsibility and just sat back and watched the trees die with the people wondering what was going on. But all this was just infantile emotion lashing out because he was angry that Auburn beat us and was having a great year.

But i agree that what Harvey Updike did to the trees pales in comparison to the years of abuse they suffered at the hands of the lunatics who are now crying about their demise. Harvey Updike has more in common with Jack Kervorkian that he does with Jeffery Dahmer........ he just put the trees out of their misery.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's classic immaturity, screaming "hey, look at me. look what i did." If he had truly set out on a plan just to harm the emotions of the Auburn people, he would have never claimed responsibility and just sat back and watched the trees die with the people wondering what was going on. But all this was just infantile emotion lashing out because he was angry that Auburn beat us and was having a great year.

But i agree that what Harvey Updike did to the trees pales in comparison to the years of abuse they suffered at the hands of the lunatics who are now crying about their demise. Harvey Updike has more in common with Jack Kervorkian that he does with Jeffery Dahmer........ he just put the trees out of their misery.
He was on TI on a regular basis under the name of ""Al from Dadeville." Of course, he claimed just to know Updyke, but he was basically bragging and looking for reaffirmation...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Well, Mr. Updyke is still a human, with children and grandchildren and the trees are TREES.

We have people out here everyday doing stupid things that hurt other people and they often don't do any prison time and it's ridiculous to take this man away from his family in his last days for poisoning some trees, regardless of the sentimental value of them to a group of people. The only reason that the barners are hell bent to punish him is because he is a Bama fan and that is it. They've been killing the trees for years and they KNEW that they were killing the trees since 2007 per this article and they continued to roll them and pressure wash the paper off the trees, so if they are going to try to punish Mr. Updyke for knowingly harming the trees, then they need to toss every idiot that threw toilet paper on them or pressure washed them since this article into the cell with him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.