Link: Reuben in trouble again... (DV Charges Dropped) (UPDATE: Suspended 2 Games)

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Re: Reuben in trouble again...

I`ve about decided that when you move some of these guys outside of a structured environment and system such as you have with CNS and his program ( and others as well ) and give them lots of money, they simply do not have the underpinnings ( AKA upbringing ) to handle it. How you were raised impacts you all the days of your life.
I'm convinced the NFL isn't doing enough in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Meh, every single one of these guys is a grown man. Maybe not fully mentally developed when they enter the NFL, but a vast majority of guys playing in the NFL have their act together wrt self discipline. IOW, I don't see it as an NFL problem, I see it as a problem on an individual basis. It would behoove teams to identify these guys and make classes / therapy contractually obligated.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Nah, what it says is that Bama provides an atmosphere and structure that does a wonderful job to stay focused while in schoool. I think some of these guys really miss the structure they had a Bama, but at some point an adult has to learn to structure his/her own life.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Nah, what it says is that Bama provides an atmosphere and structure that does a wonderful job to stay focused while in schoool. I think some of these guys really miss the structure they had a Bama, but at some point an adult has to learn to structure his/her own life.
Easier to control them when they don't have six or seven figures sitting in the bank. Controlling yourself with money is a discipline that requires training.

There's a reason some 70% of all lottery winners are bankrupt within seven years.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Meh, every single one of these guys is a grown man. Maybe not fully mentally developed when they enter the NFL, but a vast majority of guys playing in the NFL have their act together wrt self discipline. IOW, I don't see it as an NFL problem, I see it as a problem on an individual basis. It would behoove teams to identify these guys and make classes / therapy contractually obligated.
Agree with 100% with your final sentence. That's where I was going.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Yep, at some point these guys have to learn how to "do life" themselves without having training wheels and someone running behind them holding the seat as they go. Those who don't are normally broke and in many cases are wearing an orange onesie with numbers on the back.

Regarding the NFL and their responsibility in this. They already have A LOT of programs available to players for life guidance. I know they really beefed up the rookie symposium several years ago and provide a stellar system for rookies to start off their NFL career on the right foot. I think it may come down to the "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" type thing. The resources have been provided for them and they've been given some great advice. But they are the ones who have to actually apply it.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

It may be an individual problem but NFL teams invest a ton of money into these guys so it would make a ton of since for them to do as much as possible to make sure that investment works out.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

For guys like Foster and McClain, the counseling and training has to be ongoing. If not, it won't work. Simple as that.

Pulling yourself up by the bootstraps doesn't always happen in a vacuum.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I do wonder if a lot of these guys (Rolando and possibly Reuben as well) suffer from some form of mental illness. It appears Johnny Manziel has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and is now on medication to treat it. Good for him, I hope it works and he can become a productive member of society. I hope Reuben follows suit in addressing his issues and gets on the same right path. These guys have too much talent and opportunity to waste it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22406615/heisman-trophy-winner-nfl-bust-johnny-manziel-working-come-back-football

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Being domestic, if guilty, and probably even if not, I don't think this will end well for him based on how the NFL is looking at these.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Being domestic, if guilty, and probably even if not, I don't think this will end well for him based on how the NFL is looking at these.
This is what I'm afraid of as well. Many times in our society when we finally decide to correct a problem we go to the same degree of extremes to correct it as we did to allow it. Right now, being associated with DV in the landscape of college and professional sports isn't a good situation and the outcome may very well lead to complete exile.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

This is what I'm afraid of as well. Many times in our society when we finally decide to correct a problem we go to the same degree of extremes to correct it as we did to allow it. Right now, being associated with DV in the landscape of college and professional sports isn't a good situation and the outcome may very well lead to complete exile.
Well, the NFL has specific rules about this stuff now - first time offense for domestic abuse is a six game suspension, for example.

This NFL is not like the NCAA - there are a lot of contracts involved - so they have far less latitude with regards to making things up on the fly than the NCAA does.

Obviously this could make it tough for him to find a team later on, could affect his contract negotiations, etc - but if he gets his act together (assuming these charges even have merit), he'll be fine.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Well, the NFL has specific rules about this stuff now - first time offense for domestic abuse is a six game suspension, for example.

This NFL is not like the NCAA - there are a lot of contracts involved - so they have far less latitude with regards to making things up on the fly than the NCAA does.

Obviously this could make it tough for him to find a team later on, could affect his contract negotiations, etc - but if he gets his act together (assuming these charges even have merit), he'll be fine.
I do hope he gets his act together. Because DV is a smoking hot issue within professional sports (college as well), especially the NFL. It is one of those situations that though you are eligible to play by the NFL. There's enough smoke around your situation that teams stay away from you and you end up on the outside looking in. Again, I REALLY hope Reuben gets his stuff together.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

All the more impressive that Coach Saban can keep these kids in line while in T-Town (for the most part). But, kids like Reuben and McLain -- would be better off in a military type structure -- than in big cities with tons of cash at their disposal..... 3 years isn't enough to change behaviors/tendencies .....

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers

Coach has and does continue to give these young men structure all be it things to occupy there time. This most will not have after they leave UA.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

I wonder how this stuff was handled 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60, years beyond....it’s not like pro athletes just started to do this stuff in the last 5 years.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.