Alabama Announces 2018 Spring Practice Schedule

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Thumb injury doesn't sound like a big deal other than it being likely that he doesn't throw the rest of the Spring.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Broken bone is much better than torn ligaments in his thumb. Hope this proves to be true.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Broken bone is much better than torn ligaments in his thumb. Hope this proves to be true.
I wonder how that happened. I guess there`s a million ways freaky things can occur. I too hope that it`s a broken bone as opposed to ligaments. So much for the long awaited spring "competition "! Anyway, we`ll damn sure know a lot more about Mac Jones as we head into summer.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Frankly, I'm not that worried about Tua not being cleared to throw the ball in practice. The next step for Tua isn't practice snaps. His next step is about getting consistent game action and showing the ability to adjust over the course of the season as teams scheme to take away his favorite plays and types of throws. I guess practice snaps can enhance the ability to do that but it isn't necessarily required.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Frankly, I'm not that worried about Tua not being cleared to throw the ball in practice. The next step for Tua isn't practice snaps. His next step is about getting consistent game action and showing the ability to adjust over the course of the season as teams scheme to take away his favorite plays and types of throws. I guess practice snaps can enhance the ability to do that but it isn't necessarily required.
As much as I know we all like and respect Jalen for the kind of young man he is ( winner with class ) and what he`s done and accomplished, Tua`s already proven he`s a better thrower. Tua`s progression will be from the neck up, IMHO. While certainly there`s no substitute for actual snaps in both practice and games, I would think that there are aspects of the aforementioned mental aspects of the game that Tua can and will work on as his hand heals. I would think that he`ll be physically ready by fall, if not before.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It's likely going to stunt his development some. Fortunately, I think he is good enough that you are right and it won't matter much. Still, I was looking forward to seeing him on A Day

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess that I disagree. Tua had absolutely no chemistry with your 1st string WRs last year because he almost never threw to them in practice or in games. Now, I get that they have moved on and he will till be throwing to the receivers with whom he built chemistry in 2017, but this demonstrates that repetition with players in practice and games both matter.

Missed snaps hurt everyone. Tua is talented, but he is inexperienced. He needs as many snaps as he can get.

All that said, with your early schedule, I am less concerned.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's likely going to stunt his development some. Fortunately, I think he is good enough that you are right and it won't matter much. Still, I was looking forward to seeing him on A Day
Tua is a huge reason that we are planning the trip in April. I really hope that he plays.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I guess that I disagree. Tua had absolutely no chemistry with your 1st string WRs last year because he almost never threw to them in practice or in games. Now, I get that they have moved on and he will till be throwing to the receivers with whom he built chemistry in 2017, but this demonstrates that repetition with players in practice and games both matter.

Missed snaps hurt everyone. Tua is talented, but he is inexperienced. He needs as many snaps as he can get.

All that said, with your early schedule, I am less concerned.
From what I know of last season's practice, Tua got plenty of reps with the starting WRs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
From what I know of last season's practice, Tua got plenty of reps with the starting WRs.
Maybe, but it certainly didn't look like it in games. He hit the freshman receivers in stride. He completed passes to the seniors, but it just wasn't the same. So something was different, and I think it was reps. Admittedly, I could be wrong.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe, but it certainly didn't look like it in games. He hit the freshman receivers in stride. He completed passes to the seniors, but it just wasn't the same. So something was different, and I think it was reps. Admittedly, I could be wrong.
Part of that can be attributed to them all playing together during the summer before their senior year as well as playing together in All Star games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.