FBI Probe of College Basketball

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Re: FBI Probe of College Basketball Players, Coaches, and NBA Agents

Not that the NCAA is adverse to going down a slippery slope, but the Purifoy ruling is a bad precedent. What they are essentially saying is that it's wrong for a player (or his representatives) to take money from whatever source, but if you do, and we catch you, you no longer forfeit your 'amateur' status. You'll sit out some games and eventually be reinstated. Meaning the punishment, while perhaps a bit more than a slap on the wrist, isn't career ending - not much of a deterrent. This wasn't accidental - like a meal or a car ride - it was done intentionally and knowingly. With the threat of permanent banishment removed, where's the incentive to comply with the rules? It took an FBI probe to uncover this episode and there certainly won't be one of those every year.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Not that the NCAA is adverse to going down a slippery slope, but the Purifoy ruling is a bad precedent. What they are essentially saying is that it's wrong for a player (or his representatives) to take money from whatever source, but if you do, and we catch you, you no longer forfeit your 'amateur' status. You'll sit out some games and eventually be reinstated. Meaning the punishment, while perhaps a bit more than a slap on the wrist, isn't career ending - not much of a deterrent. This wasn't accidental - like a meal or a car ride - it was done intentionally and knowingly. With the threat of permanent banishment removed, where's the incentive to comply with the rules? It took an FBI probe to uncover this episode and there certainly won't be one of those every year.
I agree mostly but I can see why the NCAA is responding in this way. The player likely knows it's going on but may not have much leverage to keep his affiliates from trying to profit from his skills. We are basically in a lot of cases asking a kid to confront a mom, dad, grandparent or uncle into not engaging in this behavior that would jeopardize his eligibility and no one wants to see the kid lose his only opportunity at an education.

The whole industry has basically recessed into a form of human trafficking and it ought to be prosecuted as such. It's really the only way to clean this up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

More punishment than Cam Newton got for taking money.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Know the discussion has already been had, but I continue to struggle with the NCAA saying a player is ineligible for a year then can be reinstated. If a player is ineligible, said player can no longer player. What the NCAA is doing is suspending these guys for a length of time while calling them ineligible.

I know it's just semantics but still bugs me.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

This is basketball where the rules are only rules if it doesn't affect the 1 billion the NCAA collects each year. The NCAA has become a running joke of an organization. It would be better to just do away with amateurism and call them all pro athletes. This is what Purifoy and Wiley are supposed to be now. Heck why even make them go to class, an education is clearly less important to the NCAA than their revenue from the Big Dance.

It has and will become worse with kids and parents thinking we can take money now and sit a few games then they can play later so they don't blow the chance to play pro ball. The vast majority of the schools abide by the rules, but at some schools, it is win at all costs. It is the only way they can keep up with their rivals. You think Lightfoot Franklin has an office in the Auburn compliance office. If not, they need one as much as Auburn pays them every year.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Know the discussion has already been had, but I continue to struggle with the NCAA saying a player is ineligible for a year then can be reinstated. If a player is ineligible, said player can no longer player. What the NCAA is doing is suspending these guys for a length of time while calling them ineligible.

I know it's just semantics but still bugs me.
I have no problem with conditional reinstatement. What I do have a problem with is inconsistent enforcement.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

learned that D.Mitchell is transferring.
Davion wants to start. Probably didn’t expect Jared to emerge like he did. Davion’s looking at coming off the bench for 2 more years at least with Jared in front of him.

If there was a position we could lose a player before next season, this was it with 6’4 Samir Doughty eligible now, but this probably puts us on the market for a point or combo guard graduate transfer.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

The FBI probe thread becoming the default Auburn basketball discussion location cracks me up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Well it would be sort of crass for me to start an all things Auburn roundball thread on your board, so I've just taken to updating and answering questions here.
What are the mods saying on AU boards about so many guys declaring? Are they testing the waters like Braxton Key did or are they serious about going pro?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

What are the mods saying on AU boards about so many guys declaring? Are they testing the waters like Braxton Key did or are they serious about going pro?
The teeming masses are freaking, which I find hilarious. The folks in the know, not at all. Bruce encourages his guys to go get evaluated. Each player's situation:

Heron - Definitely gone. Will hire an agent. Ready to go pro. Tired of playing for free. Not unexpected.

Wiley - Very likely gone. Depends on his grade. Won't hire an agent. Not unexpected.

Harper - Very likely back. Won't hire an agent. Won't climb much even if he's lights out. Not unexpected.

Brown - Same as Harper.

Davion - Gone. Will be a depth chart squeeze with Harper back and Samir now eligible after sitting out due to transfer. Unsurprising.

DeSean - Gone. Another depth chart squeeze. Chuma is expected to start and a lot of his minutes would have evaporated. Danjel also would have cut into his minutes. Unsurprising.

We're in good shape, especially if Akingbola reclassifies, but we are on the market for a GT point or combo guard.

Last edited:

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

I saw where Justin Coleman is considering Auburn.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.