Steve Prohm's wikipedia page has him listed as UA HC . . .LOL

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Wishful thinking by someone. He is going to have the Cyclones in the NCAA's for the third time in four years, and his salary IS $2 million. Would it take us doubling that to get him here? I know he graduated from Alabama, but he is from Virginia and has no ties here except for his diploma?

If we beat Vandy Saturday and wind up 16-15 before going to the SECT I still think that CAJ gets another year because of the class he signed. I just don't understand how a team who was a virtual lock for an NCAA bid even after the Auburn game has fallen completely off a cliff so quickly? No matter what happens with CAJ I would like to understand how this happened.

rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wishful thinking by someone. He is going to have the Cyclones in the NCAA's for the third time in four years, and his salary IS $2 million. Would it take us doubling that to get him here? I know he graduated from Alabama, but he is from Virginia and has no ties here except for his diploma?

If we beat Vandy Saturday and wind up 16-15 before going to the SECT I still think that CAJ gets another year because of the class he signed. I just don't understand how a team who was a virtual lock for an NCAA bid even after the Auburn game has fallen completely off a cliff so quickly? No matter what happens with CAJ I would like to understand how this happened.

rtr
Alabama pays Avery $2.8 million. Would be able to pay Prohm more than Iowa State by a big chunk then.... IF something could happen with Avery's buyout.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Alabama pays Avery $2.8 million. Would be able to pay Prohm more than Iowa State by a big chunk then.... IF something could happen with Avery's buyout.
I might be in the minority here, but Prohm just doesn’t excite me. Maybe because I really want Hoiberg or Wojo.
Heck, I think Ray Harper from Jacksonville St. is a better coach than CAJ. We would then have a coach with the same name as me lol (my full name is Michael Ray Harper)

I wouldn’t be mad if we hired Prohm, but I think that we could do better. Maybe I’m wrong.

I actually wasn’t into the Avery Johnson hire at all. He sold me on what he would build and I supported him (almost blindly) so I, apparently, was right with my doubts from the beginning lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I might be in the minority here, but Prohm just doesn’t excite me. ...
I wouldn’t be mad if we hired Prohm, but I think that we could do better. Maybe I’m wrong.
Back to the future: Your comments above seemed to be consensus here four years ago before the Koch Bros. doubled Marshall's pay at Wichita State to keep him and Avery came out of nowhere to land in Tuscaloosa. Comments about Prohm that still apply for many here, it seems.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We have made two big name hires in our last two hires so I don't need a big name coach (Grant was considered a home run with his VCU run and Donovan connection). Give me somebody like a Will Wade at LSWho or Kermit Davis at Ole Sis who seem to be very good teaching coaches and motivate their players. Prohm fits that bill IMO.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
We have made two big name hires in our last two hires so I don't need a big name coach (Grant was considered a home run with his VCU run and Donovan connection). Give me somebody like a Will Wade at LSWho or Kermit Davis at Ole Sis who seem to be very good teaching coaches and motivate their players. Prohm fits that bill IMO.
Would you want Prohm if he weren’t an Alumni? I just don’t think that a coach whose teams are generally known for not being “mentally tough” is what this program needs. That is our issue right now.

Actually, I think I’ve moved to Wojo being #1 On my list with Hoiberg #2. I really like Hoiberg, but he built ISU with JUCO players and I don’t think we can consistently do that. Again, I could be wrong.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Would you want Prohm if he weren’t an Alumni? I just don’t think that a coach whose teams are generally known for not being “mentally tough” is what this program needs. That is our issue right now.

Actually, I think I’ve moved to Wojo being #1 On my list with Hoiberg #2. I really like Hoiberg, but he built ISU with JUCO players and I don’t think we can consistently do that. Again, I could be wrong.

Yes I would based on his resume. I was not aware he had a rep for not having mentally tough teams. I know he won a lot at Murray St and now at ISU and it can't be easy to recruit at ISU.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/steve-prohm-1.html

I agree Wojo comes from great stock with his Duke connection. His record at Marquette has been somewhat average except for this year and he has one of the top 3 players in the nation. He would be a good hire but he is somewhat unproven.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Yes I would based on his resume. I was not aware he had a rep for not having mentally tough teams. I know he won a lot at Murray St and now at ISU and it can't be easy to recruit at ISU.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/steve-prohm-1.html

I agree Wojo comes from great stock with his Duke connection. His record at Marquette has been somewhat average except for this year and he has one of the top 3 players in the nation. He would be a good hire but he is somewhat unproven.
Ultimately, Prohm would be a slight upgrade. I would 100% support him. I’m just saying that he doesn’t excite me.

Like I told a co-worker yesterday, at this point I would take Dan D’Antoni. We might not win a championship, but we would be exciting and fun to watch lol.
(I’m being a bit facetious)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Will Wade was a big name hire for LSU. He was a Grant-like hire.

Kermit Davis was coaching MTSU because of his NCAA past. Ole Miss decided to take a chance after so many programs bypassed him due to his time at Texas A&M.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Will Wade was a big name hire for LSU. He was a Grant-like hire.

Kermit Davis was coaching MTSU because of his NCAA past. Ole Miss decided to take a chance after so many programs bypassed him due to his time at Texas A&M.
It may have been but I had never heard of Wade until the LSU hire and had heard of Grant for few years due much to the Donovan connection.

I mentioned Wade and Davis due to how both of them have their kids playing, not that is who I wanted. I will take anybody like them who can coach up our kids and get us playing like their teams are now.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
I agree with Mike Prohm does not excite me and apparently he didn't excite Bill Battle either, My top 2 are Fred Hoiberg and Thad Matta both are available.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Didn't he really step down from Ohio State due to health?
No (he was fired for missing the NCAA tournament 2 years in a row), but he has said that it would take the right job for hm to consider returning to the stress of coaching.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
No (he was fired for missing the NCAA tournament 2 years in a row), but he has said that it would take the right job for hm to consider returning to the stress of coaching.
Does he use Meyer’s doctor?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Does he use Meyer’s doctor?
LOL - He has never claimed that stress was a health problem, but he has pointed out that he had no idea how much stress he was under until he stopped coaching for a few months. I read one article in which he said that he woke up unhappy for years and didn't really know it until he started getting better sleep and waking up happy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.