Bama to play in charity exhibition game

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This looks like a good event to attend. I don't know if I'll make it due to issues at home but I'll try.

I am interested in what Coach's philosophy will be on this. The coaches may do more experimenting than they would in a legit game. It can also be looked at as an opportunity to play it straight up as a good way for players and coaches to learn from simulating a real game.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Went to the game, we won and scored over 90 points. Some observations:

* We were way improved with free throws. At one point we only missed one for most of the game, finished at like 80% as a team.

* We relied a lot on the 3 ball and they were dropping. Shackleford had at least 5(?) from my count. We had at least 6 players make 3s including one from Herb

* The hustle and effort was impressive. Many times we had several players diving for loose balls at the same time.

* The low post guys looked great when they had their chance at touches. I think javon will make a lot of noise if he can consistently stay out of foul trouble.

* 3s and points off of turnovers were the main source of points but we have to do better with the midrange game. I'm sure that's going to come, but that's what's keeping us from being a complete offensive team. We did have a few series where it seemed like it was hard to score points (nothing nearly like last year)

* Defensively they were solid ... had a couple of lapses but overall their hustle and effort stood out the most.

* We also need to do better in cutting/moving without the ball. Seemed like they didn't fully commit to moving without the ball enough, unlike ga tech who's offense worked best against us with players moving without the ball and hitting the lanes. This is stuff I've seen being worked on in practice so I'm sure it will be fine.

* We had a couple of silly turnovers and forced the issue a fee times but overall I'm encouraged on what this team can accomplish this season.

Overall game grade: B
Player of the game: Shackleford

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Went to the game, we won and scored over 90 points. Some observations:

* We were way improved with free throws. At one point we only missed one for most of the game, finished at like 80% as a team.

* We relied a lot on the 3 ball and they were dropping. Shackleford had at least 5(?) from my count. We had at least 6 players make 3s including one from Herb

* The hustle and effort was impressive. Many times we had several players diving for loose balls at the same time.

* The low post guys looked great when they had their chance at touches. I think javon will make a lot of noise if he can consistently stay out of foul trouble.

* 3s and points off of turnovers were the main source of points but we have to do better with the midrange game. I'm sure that's going to come, but that's what's keeping us from being a complete offensive team. We did have a few series where it seemed like it was hard to score points (nothing nearly like last year)

* Defensively they were solid ... had a couple of lapses but overall their hustle and effort stood out the most.

* We also need to do better in cutting/moving without the ball. Seemed like they didn't fully commit to moving without the ball enough, unlike ga tech who's offense worked best against us with players moving without the ball and hitting the lanes. This is stuff I've seen being worked on in practice so I'm sure it will be fine.

* We had a couple of silly turnovers and forced the issue a fee times but overall I'm encouraged on what this team can accomplish this season.

Overall game grade: B
Player of the game: Shackleford
I was at the game as well. I think this is an accurate and fair assessment.

One of the reasons the 3 ball was falling was because of the wide open looks. We were attaching the rim and getting a lot of good looks. We did a good job of breaking down the defense. One thing that you could tell, is that our pace wore down GT.

It was also fun seeing us absolutely get after it on D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I was at the game as well. I think this is an accurate and fair assessment.

One of the reasons the 3 ball was falling was because of the wide open looks. We were attaching the rim and getting a lot of good looks. We did a good job of breaking down the defense. One thing that you could tell, is that our pace wore down GT.

It was also fun seeing us absolutely get after it on D.

True ... I loved how the crowd kept applauding the team for their efforts in hustling. And that was a charity game ... lol imaging what Coleman will sound like with a packed crowd

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
True ... I loved how the crowd kept applauding the team for their efforts in hustling. And that was a charity game ... lol imaging what Coleman will sound like with a packed crowd
I would love to bring back, to Coleman, the tradition of everyone standing until we make our first bucket.

I know that Coleman isn’t the best facility in the world, but it’s being used as an excuse. I’ve been in there before when it’s been so loud that you can’t hear the person next to you.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.