Question: Did Dareus deserve the unsportmanlike penalty after his touchdown?

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
Absolutely should've been flagged, no way he was tossing it to the official... still wondering why the Texas player wasn't flagged after the 2 pt conversion. His toss/spin of the ball reminded me of Lassic in the 93 Sugar Bowl :)
First, yes it should have been called, but so should it have been called on the Texas player.

RolltideFanz

All-American
Sep 26, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Gotta say I was in the end zone he scored that in, and there is simply no way he was trying to toss that ball to the ref. He was juiced and chucked that thing as hard as he could out of there. I have no problem whatsoever believing he doesn't remember doing it.

He deserved the penalty. But FWIW, we fans loved it! :D

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Absolutely should've been flagged, no way he was tossing it to the official... still wondering why the Texas player wasn't flagged after the 2 pt conversion. His toss/spin of the ball reminded me of Lassic in the 93 Sugar Bowl :)
Too funny...there is ball still spinning in the Sugar Bowl end zone from a Miami player that spun the ball and didn't get called for a penalty after Lassic's penalty just like no penalty on Texas.

I thought the referee conspiracy was supposed to be in Bama's favor.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Yes. God love him, If I were him and that would prob be my only touchdown I ever scored, I would have done the same thing out of sheer excitement.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I think that Dareus was tossing the ball to the official at the far side of the end zone and threw it wide. If he was going to throw it to the fans, he would have thrown it out the back of the end zone. If he was throwing it up in the air, he would have thrown it straight up.
Aledinhomer :wink:

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
Correct call made. He deserved the penalty...but he also deserved to throw the ball, or the ref, or run a victory lap or anything else he felt like doing.

That young man has become a one-man wrecking crew!

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
Oh without a doubt it was a penalty but I've watched the replay three times now and I still think there's an even-money chance he was throwing it at the ref and got caught up in the moment.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Personally I think an unsportsmanlike penalty is the most selfish thing you can do after scoring a touchdown...ala Ben Tate against Northwestern. It gives up field position and immediately gives the opposing team the momentum going into the kickoff. Fortunately for DM the penalty occured with 3 seconds remaining on the clock and didn't cost Alabama any points.

I also feel Saban has a similar viewpoint as I do on the subject after viewing his reaction during the game...

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Lighten up. Do you want Dareus to act like he had been there before? Well he hasn't. I assume the next time he intercepts a pass in the National Championship game, stiff arms the quarterback, performs a spin move, and then scores a touchdown, he will just hand the ball to the ref.
There are 1.56 million ways to celebrate a touchdown without throwing the ball 36 yards in the air...

There is no need to penalize your team because you are excited.

If things like this are not "nipped in the bud", which I can assure you they were, those things will eventually cost you a ball game, directly or indirectly.

Celebrate after the game is over, and if then you decide it is by throwing footballs for long distances, by all means, do it!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.