Question: Did Dareus deserve the unsportmanlike penalty after his touchdown?

MalletMan

Scout Team
Oct 4, 2007
Birmingham, AL
It's like John Madden said in 'The Replacements'

"I love to see a fat guy score. Because first you get the fat guy spike, and then you get the fat guy dance."

I think the penalty was assessed correctly, but when you've got that much adrenaline pumping through you and the magnitude of what you've done overtakes you, it leads to excessive action. Maybe it was a minor breakdown in discipline. I would certainly say so if it were a DB or LB who returned it, but honestly, how often does a DL get a pick-six? Give him a break.

P. C. Pachyderm

All-SEC
Sep 28, 2006
Pell City, AL
Yes, he deserved the penalty ... not much leeway on the rule.

But ... let's not make out that this was one of those "I don't care if I get a penalty or what the refs think or what coach thinks" moments where the guy throws the ball into the stands or spikes it over the goalpost (like the Aubie did in their bowl game).

Dareus was just getting rid of the ball and got too excited. He deserved the penalty, but it was not a classless, show-off exhibition.

And, yes, I thought at the time ... and still think ... that he may have been tossing the ball in the direction of that sideline referee.

But really, who cares? :)

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
I agree... and I don't blame him one bit. If I was someone who very rarely touches the ball and somehow scored a touchdown in the NCG, I would have done the same thing!!
No offense to you or anyone else who condone's touchdown celebrations, but if you see no problem with these plays then you don't understand the discipline and understanding that Saban has implemented into his athletes...a discipline that has led to a 2010 National Championship.

Do I think MD was thinking completely straight and that it was emblematic of what he stands for...NO.

At the same time it does not represent the University very well and it does not represent what this team has stood for and what it does stand for...class and integrety.

I believe MD has both of these, and if he could do it again I think he would handle himself more carefully!

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Lighten up. Do you want Dareus to act like he had been there before? Well he hasn't. I assume the next time he intercepts a pass in the National Championship game, stiff arms the quarterback, performs a spin move, and then scores a touchdown, he will just hand the ball to the ref.
I completely agree. I don't think he deserved the unsportmanlike penalty but I can understand why he got it from the ref. I think Dareus was just throwing the ball down in the end zone but he was so excited it went flying. He had the play of his life and like has already been mentioned he has not been in the end zone before. I will take the TD and the penalty and be very happy. :cool:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think that Dareus was tossing the ball to the official at the far side of the end zone and threw it wide. If he was going to throw it to the fans, he would have thrown it out the back of the end zone. If he was throwing it up in the air, he would have thrown it straight up.
Yes.

And no.

It's a stupid rule and wrongly enforced.

But I saw Washington lose to BYU last year when Jake Locker scored apparently the tying TD and just flipped the fall in excitement. It didn't go as far as Marcel's did.

So for consistency, yes.

Stupid rule.

da_sack86

1st Team
Nov 11, 2004
Speaking of personal fouls, what did 'Ro do in the 1st quarter that got the personal foul during Texas's TD that got called back thanks to their holding penalty? Tv never showed the replay.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I did not frame-by-frame it, but it seems clear enough - Dareus threw the ball into the crowd. The only Bama fan in the crowd who did not like it was Saban.

BamaClay

Scout Team
Jul 23, 2007
Tar Heel State
No he didn't deserve it. Don't agree with rule.
But, yes, right call, according to rule.
And, yes, Texas player should have been penalized as well.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
My wife and I busted out laughing, I think we woke up our floor of the apartment complex where we live :biggrin:

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Aledinhomer :wink:
Completely guilty. I always think our guys have the white cowboy hats.:)

How bout this? They institute a five and fifteen yard celebration penalty just like running into/roughing a kicker.

I could see giving Dareus a five yard penalty, but no way is that a fifteen yarder.

CrimsonBeast

Scout Team
Feb 7, 2009
Chattanooga
Yes, he deserved the penalty ... not much leeway on the rule.

But ... let's not make out that this was one of those "I don't care if I get a penalty or what the refs think or what coach thinks" moments where the guy throws the ball into the stands or spikes it over the goalpost (like the Aubie did in their bowl game).

Dareus was just getting rid of the ball and got too excited. He deserved the penalty, but it was not a classless, show-off exhibition.

And, yes, I thought at the time ... and still think ... that he may have been tossing the ball in the direction of that sideline referee.

But really, who cares? :)
My thoughts exactly. Could also be the reason why the sideline ref did not throw the flag until after the head ref did.

I completely understand his excitement and getting caught up in the moment because I helped MD carry that ball into the endzone from my bedroom. LOL, I worked so hard I even suffered a leg cramp at the half.:biggrin:

peteswell4

1st Team
Oct 26, 2005
Rome, GA
He deserved it, but I don't blame him for doing it. It was near the very end of the half. No telling what I would have done if I were in his position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.