Cajun Cuisine

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I love okra, almost any way. I don't care for pickled okra though. At least any I've tried to date, but I try to keep an open mind and still try it from time to time.

My Mom used to throw some okra (whole) on top of beans while they were cooking, mighty good. If you've never had them this way, try it, they kind of take on some of the flavor of the beans and go well with cornbread. But to me, anything goes good with cornbread, I've had cornbread and buttermilk with chopped up green onions and a little Tabasco for breakfast many times. (Actually, it's really kind of a lot of Tabasco.) ;)
T-Mac I have noticed your affection for Tabasco :) I bet when you load your pockets in the morning a small bottle of Tabasco goes in just in case you need a few dashes away from the big bottle.

I think my grandmother used to put a few pods of okra on top of her beans for grandpa. As soon as you posted that the image came into my mind thinking I have seen that before. I like pickled okra, I like just about anything pickled. My son keeps a jar of them out at his patio bar along with a big jar of pickled eggs. Him and his beer drinking friends love them and he gets both from Nick aka bamapeppy.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
T-Mac I have noticed your affection for Tabasco :) I bet when you load your pockets in the morning a small bottle of Tabasco goes in just in case you need a few dashes away from the big bottle.

I think my grandmother used to put a few pods of okra on top of her beans for grandpa. As soon as you posted that the image came into my mind thinking I have seen that before. I like pickled okra, I like just about anything pickled. My son keeps a jar of them out at his patio bar along with a big jar of pickled eggs. Him and his beer drinking friends love them and he gets both from Nick aka bamapeppy.

Yep, I love me some hot stuff. I was sort of a legend on the fire dept for my consumption of hot foods. Lately though i been using a lot of Louisiana Supreme Extra Hot or Habanero hot sauce and I've even been experimenting with making my own by blending various sauces and a few other things too.

Love pickled eggs and beer too. :D

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Yep, I love me some hot stuff. I was sort of a legend on the fire dept for my consumption of hot foods. Lately though i been using a lot of Louisiana Supreme Extra Hot or Habanero hot sauce and I've even been experimenting with making my own by blending various sauces and a few other things too.

Love pickled eggs and beer too. :D
Try making your own. Hot sauce is little more than vinegar, salt, sugar, onion, garlic and lots and lots of peppers. Some may use some other spice, water, oil but basic hot sauce isnt hard to make.

Cook the peppers down till they are soft, if using dry peppers cook them till they are re-hydrated and soft.
When peppers are ready put everything into a food processor and give it a whizzz or a whirrr.
Sterilize your bottles and put a funnel in the opening. you can use cheesecloth or paper coffee filters to filter the sauce.
Fill the bottles and cap them. Let the bottles sit for a couple of weeks before using.
Don't try to feed the leftover pulp to the dog. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.