Smoked Gouda Burgers w/ Conecuh Bacon

I made these last nite and I believe they are the best burgers I have ever had in my life.

1# 80/20 Ground Chuck
1# 90/10 Ground Sirloin
6 oz marinade. ( I use Allegro Garlic marinade for burgers and steaks, but Dale's or Moore's would be suitable)
1/4 lb Sliced Smoked Gouda Cheese
1 # Thick Sliced Conecuh Bacon (I suppose you could use any thick sliced bacon you like, but Conecuh has a special place in my heart)

Mix the 2 Ground Beef together and pour marinade on. Allow to sit for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
Make into (4) 1/2 lb burger patties.
Using a griddle, cook bacon to preferred consistency (gotta go crispy for this tho IMO).
Place burgers on griddle after bacon is removed and cook to desired done ness.

The secret to these is to assemble the burger immediately after you cook one side of the burger. Simply flip to begin cooking the other side, place bacon on top of burger and then cheese. Place a dome over the top of burger to create steam. The gouda does not melt easily, so this will help it become gooey and wonderful. Serve on a Kaiser roll with a bit of garlic mayo.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
A couple of years ago we made a 10 lb cheeseburger on a Big Green Egg and used sliced Gouda for the cheese. We also shamelessly used a big bag of microwave Hormel bacon bought at Sam's Club. It really wasn't a 10 lb because the first one we made was so thick few people could get a bite in their mouth so we cut it back to about a 6 lb and it was just right. The first 10 lb we didn't flip but the 6 lb we cooked on a XL pizza pan the kind Pappa John's uses and using some silicon mitts placed a second one on top and flipped the burger then removed the top pan. I don't remember how many sliced onions, sliced tomatoes it takes maybe 3 onions and 6-7 tomato, a whole jar of dill pickles and 2 bags of shredded lettuce. We also jazzed up the bun by adding an egg wash and sesame seeds then heated on a gas grill. We fed 12 people with that burger, the first which was an actual 10 lb fed 12 with leftovers. Everyone raved over the cheese.

Have you ever tried any apple wood smoked or cob smoked bacon? I really like this stuff. Corn cobs are really nice when BBQing chicken or hams. Also since I am hijacking the crap out of this thread those grapevines the florist uses to make wreaths make good smoke for fish, duck, goose and probably some other things I havent used them on.

I'd probably faint at the site of a 10# burger...and then I'd try to eat it :biggrin:. I love burgers more than most things on the planet. Not a big fan of Applewood bacon for some reason. Havent tried the cob bacon tho. I saw where there is a "bacon of the month" club. I think they need a new member lol. We wound up last nite taking a slice of cooked bacon, wrapping it around gouda cheese, and eating that way. Very very healthy haha.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I think the buns are 15"

I don't remember where we ordered the buns from and can't seem to find it using google (rats). Might have to bake your own bun or talk some local bakery to special bake some for you. It makes a really fun party. The first one we cut into wedges but found that was wrong it should be cut in squares.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.