Serious hot dog question

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Summer is coming up and my son likes his patio parties with his friends. They fire up his BGE, play Rock Band and have fun around his wet bar. He has been looking for somewhere he can buy foot long hot dogs and buns. None of the stores carry the items and he can't find an online supplier. The only suggestion I could offer is to buy them uncooked from Sonic Drive In, they sell a foot long hot dog he might could get them to sell uncooked and undressed but would probably have to pay full price for.

Does anyone know where he can buy foot long hot dogs and buns and have them shipped to him? He doesn't need large quantity, a couple dozen would be perfect.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Ive bought them at Sams club before. I bet they could order them for you.
And they usually have them at Walmart around the 4th of July. If you go to a flower or sunbeam bakery, you can usually get the buns.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
the best sure bet so far is to go to Sonci Drive in and meet the manager at the back door. Buy 24 dogs, buns and give him a container to fill with their chili. Pay him for the dogs just like they made them and take them home where they will be made into "Cinco de Mayo Dogs".

Total cost @$32

A couple packs of Hebrew National and he is in business.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
If you're up to baking your own buns, here's a nice recipe. You can make as many or as few as you want. And there's no restriction on the length, either.

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup unsalted butter
4 1/2 cups flour (unbleached, whole wheat, or a mix)
1 package instant yeast
1 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg, room temperature

Heat the milk, water, honey and butter until butter is melted. Check temperature. Depending on the temperature, let cool to 120F. Carefully beat in egg.
Mix 2 cups of the flour, yeast, and salt. Mix into the milk mixture. Stir in the rest of the flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Beat well after each addition.
When the dough pulls together, (it will form a soft ball) turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. This should take about 5 minutes.
Divide dough into 12 -16 equal pieces. This will depend on the size you want for the finished bun. Shape into smooth balls, flatten slightly, and place on a silpat covered baking sheet.
Let rise for 30 to 35 minutes. When buns have almost doubled bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
If you are making hot dog buns I find it easiest to roll the dough out into a large rectangle and cut into smaller rectangles. Let rise with sides touching.

You can brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, coarse sea salt, or whatever you like. These are very versatile!
Makes 12-16

Suggestion: Bake your own footlong buns, then put 2 of your favorite hot dogs into each bun. Problem solved!

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
If you have the time and are willing to put in the effort, you can always make your own hot dogs.

I found this recipe and am happy to share it with you. With the above recipe for buns, this should get your grilling season off to a great start.

Homemade Frankfurters (Hot Dogs) Recipe -

Hot dogs or frankfurters are nothing more than ground meat with seasonings. They are easy to make at home with about an hour of time invested. You can make these all beef or all pork, if you wish. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to suit your own personal tastes. Plan ahead to find the casings, usually available at your local butcher shop.

Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:

* 3 feet sheep or small (1-1/2-inch diameter) hog casings
* 1 pound lean pork, cubed
* 3/4 pound lean beef, cubed
* 1/4 pound pork fat, cubed
* 1/4 cup very finely minced onion
* 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon finely ground coriander
* 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
* 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seed
* 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
* 1 teaspoon freshly fine ground white pepper
* 1 egg white
* 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 1/4 cup milk

Preparation:
Prepare the casings (see instructions below). In a blender or food processor, make a puree of the onion, garlic, coriander, marjoram, mace, mustard seed, and paprika. Add the pepper, egg white, sugar, salt, and milk and mix thoroughly.

Grind the pork, beef, and fat cubes through the fine blade separately. Mix together and grind again. Mix the seasonings into the meat mixture with your hands. This tends to be a sticky procedure, so wet your hands with cold water first.

Chill the mixture for half an hour then put the mixture thorough the fine blade of the grinder once more. Stuff the casings and twist them off into six-inch links (or 12-inch links, for footlong dogs). Parboil the links (without separating them) in gently simmering water for 20 minutes. Place the franks in a bowl of ice water and chill thoroughly. Remove, pat dry, and refrigerate. Because they are precooked, they can be refrigerated for up to a week or they can be frozen.

Preparing the Casing
Snip off about four feet of casing. (Better too much than too little because any extra can be repacked in salt and used later.) Rinse the casing under cool running water to remove any salt clinging to it. Place it in a bowl of cool water and let it soak for about half an hour. While you're waiting for the casing to soak, you can begin preparing the meat as detailed above.

After soaking, rinse the casing under cool running water. Slip one end of the casing over the faucet nozzle. Hold the casing firmly on the nozzle, and then turn on the cold water, gently at first, and then more forcefully. This procedure will flush out any salt in the casing and pinpoint any breaks. Should you find a break, simply snip out a small section of the casing.

Place the casing in a bowl of water and add a splash of white vinegar. A tablespoon of vinegar per cup of water is sufficient. The vinegar softens the casing a bit more and makes it more transparent, which in turn makes your sausage more pleasing to the eye. Leave the casing in the water/vinegar solution until you are ready to use it. Rinse it well and drain before stuffing.

Source: Home Sausage Making by Charles G. Reavis (Storey Books)

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I was hoping you would be able to come up with the ultimate "Cinco de Mayo Dog".

Maybe marinate them in taco sauce or salsa. They should have chili on them, maybe pepper jack cheese, sliced jalapeno, jalapeno mustard?, shredded lettuce like a taco?, mashed up tamales on top? Looking for suggestions.

Last edited:
I was hoping you would be able to come up with the ultimate "Cinco de Mayo Dog".

Maybe marinate them in taco sauce or salsa. They should have chili on them, maybe pepper jack cheese, sliced jalapeno, jalapeno mustard?, shredded lettuce like a taco?, mashed up tamales on top? Looking for suggestions.

Ever tried to marinate them in tequila? I haven't, but I marinate Chicken and pork in tequila and lime juice a lot....may be worth a try. Crush a few tortilla chips on top of what u have already came up with to give it a little crunch.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005

Sorry. I don't do Mexican. I can barely even stand tacos twice a year. :p

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I like Thumans, Nathans, Hebrew National, and Sabrett. I like the Thumans links, you have to cut the string on them. I buy mine at Costco, they start getting the Thumans in prior to Memorial Day and they have them through Labor Day. During the winter, I eat Nathans! I do like the jumbo HN at the Costco snack bar. I have had Thumans deep fried, they are really crispy and awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
How about dogs topped with Machaca (Mexican shredded beef) like is put into tacos and burritos?

MACHACA

Ingredients
* 1 lb boneless beef chuck
* 1 cup water
* 6 peppercorns
* 1/4 medium onion
* salt
* 1 garlic clove
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/2 medium onion, chopped
* 1 california chili pepper, roasted, peeled (or 1 roasted and peeled poblano chili, or 1 canned whole green chili)
* 2 small tomatoes, peeled, chopped (1/2 pound)
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* fresh ground pepper (to taste)

Directions
Place meat in large saucepan. Add water, peppercorns, 1/4 onion and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours.

Cool meat in broth. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup broth. Mash garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt to make a paste. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and garlic paste. Cook until onion is tender. Cut chili into short strips. Add chili strips and tomatoes to cooked onion.

Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add meat, cumin and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook until meat is heated through. Stir in reserved broth. Taste and add salt if needed. Keep warm.

I would imagine serving in a footlong dog bun with some jalepeno mustard. Next comes the dog, next some Monterray Jack cheese shreds/strips, next cover with hot machaca, then top with some finely chopped red onion. Voila! Cinco de Mayo "chili" dog. :)

Might have to try this one myself!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.