Link: High Court hears huge 2nd amendment case today

RamJamHam

Suspended
Jan 28, 2009
Re: Hight Court hears huge 2nd amendment case today

Tidewater, I enjoyed reading your response. You know your stuff in this area. A couple more questions popped up.

First, aren't you on a VERY slippery slope when you get away from the statutory construction principle of (basically) "it says what it says"? What happens, for example, if as a part of a legislative compromise something just wasn't addressed, and there is no mention of that in the legislative record? Using your logic, as I understand it, it would be important to know whether the legislation would have been defeated had the matter been addressed. How would you ever know that?

What happens if some Congressmen are just more eloquent than others, which is surely the case? If so, some legislative history is better than other, no? Should something as important as Constitutional interpretation potentially turn on something like this? Forgetting for the moment that the quality of counsel on appeal may affect this even moreso.

What about the technology 150 years ago, or even 50 years ago? Do we really think that all legislative history is fully and accurately captured? What about contemporaneous interviews, newspaper columns, etc? How do we accoutn for them?

Also, does it really matter that a law was narrowly passed? If it passed, it passed, and it seems to me to be dangerous to go back and look that closely at what people now 150 years ago might have been thinking.

Once again, not intended as any sort of flame or challenge. You are challenging me on some of my tenets, and I look forwrd to your response.

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005

This phrase to me says the Constitution is supreme.
(Nothing in the Constitution or in any state law shall be construed to mean that the Constitution is not supreme.)
That's true, it's called The Supremacy Clause:

The preemption doctrine derives from the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution which states that the "Constitution and the laws of the United States...shall be the supreme law of the land...anything in the constitutions or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding." This means of course, that any federal law--even a regulation of a federal agency--trumps any conflicting state law.

Preemption can be either express or implied. When Congress chooses to expressly preempt state law, the only question for courts becomes determining whether the challenged state law is one that the federal law is intended to preempt. Implied preemption presents more difficult issues. The Court has to look beyond the express language of federal statutes to determine whether Congress has "occupied the field" in which the state is attempting to regulate, or whether a state law directly conflicts with federal law, or whether enforcement of the state law might frustrate federal purposes.

Federal "occupation of the field" occurs, according to the Court in Pennsylvania v Nelson (1956), when there is "no room" left for state regulation. Courts are to look to the pervasiveness of the federal scheme of regulation, the federal interest at stake, and the danger of frustration of federal goals in making the determination as to whether a challenged state law can stand.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Tidewater, I enjoyed reading your response. You know your stuff in this area. A couple more questions popped up.
Sorry it took me so long to get back in touch with you.
First, aren't you on a VERY slippery slope when you get away from the statutory construction principle of (basically) "it says what it says"? What happens, for example, if as a part of a legislative compromise something just wasn't addressed, and there is no mention of that in the legislative record? Using your logic, as I understand it, it would be important to know whether the legislation would have been defeated had the matter been addressed. How would you ever know that?
My first place to look for the meaning of a piece of legislation is in the text of the statute in question. If some legislative quid pro quo was intended, but not included in the bill, then it has no legal meaning.
In 1850, Congress was debating the admission of California as a free state without having gone through the period of being an organized territory, and despite the fact that much of the state lay south of the Missouri Compromise line. There was a series of compromise measures proposed, including the admission of California as a free state in exchange for a stronger fugitive slave act and other matters, and Congress could not come to any agreement in one big compromise encompassing all. Senator Clay of Kentucky and Senator Webster worked out a compromise in which Congress passed each measure individually. The proponents of one measure just had to trust their opponents would bring up and support the quo for their quid. In the end, they did, and slavery agitation died down for a while. But if the California free state proponents had reneged on their compromise, the fugitive slave act, the pro-slavery reps would have been out of luck.
What happens if some Congressmen are just more eloquent than others, which is surely the case? If so, some legislative history is better than other, no? Should something as important as Constitutional interpretation potentially turn on something like this? Forgetting for the moment that the quality of counsel on appeal may affect this even moreso.
I’m not sure I follow you here. Eloquence of various Congressmen does not really matter as much as the intentions of the law-givers, as far as we can determine them. To understand what their intentions were, we have the verbiage of the bill (or amendment), and what the representatives at Federal and state level said they thought they were voting for.
I am at a loss to say how else we (and the courts) may legitimately proceed. If the law or Constitution means something other than what the law-givers said it meant, on what basis does one interpret the law or Constitution? Some other method of proceeding must be used, such as the judges’ preferences, the judges’ views of natural law, or what they would have done had they been legislators at the time the bill or amendment was proposed. Justice Thomas addressed this in Lawrence v. Texas. Justice Thomas said he found sodomy laws “uncommonly silly,” and if he were a Texas state legislator, he would vote to repeal the law, but he was not a Texas legislator. He was bound by the Constitution of the United States and could find nothing in that document to help the plaintiffs in this case.
What about the technology 150 years ago, or even 50 years ago? Do we really think that all legislative history is fully and accurately captured? What about contemporaneous interviews, newspaper columns, etc? How do we accoutn for them?
I think you would be surprised at how accurately proceedings of legislative bodies were recorded. The Constitution requires the proceedings of the House to be recorded and published. The Senate adopted a similar system later. I have read instances in which legislators read the recorded versions of what they said, found their comments incorrectly recorded, and then went back and corrected the record. They said, in effect, “This is important, and I do not wish posterity to misunderstand me.”
I would also consider speeches outside of Congress, journal and newspaper articles, and memoires, but obviously, these should hold less authority than speeches in Congress, where the actual voting took place, especially when they do not coincide with statements made in Congress in debating the bill or amendment.
Also, does it really matter that a law was narrowly passed? If it passed, it passed, and it seems to me to be dangerous to go back and look that closely at what people now 150 years ago might have been thinking.
True, what has been passed is passed. When it comes to interpreting, if the court cite the most progressive/radical of the legislators as giving the true meaning to the law/amendment in question, they at the very least on shaky ground. In the meaning of the XIV Amendment, loose constructionists cite John Bingham of Ohio, who said different things on different occasions.
Professor Fairman in the Stanford Law Review of 1949 wrote a 139 page (!) journal article examining the passage of the XIV Amendment. He cited Bingham’s inconsistencies, but argues that focusing too much on Bingham is a mistake. Bingham was not a Congress of one. Instead, we should focus on the intentions of the other Congressmen who supported the amendment. They were a more moderate bunch. The XIV Amendment was adopted in response to southern states post-war infringing on the rights of the newly freedmen and President Johnson veto of the Civil Rights Act of 1866 (later passed over the President’s veto), and the Freedman’s Bureau Act (which was not passed over the President’s veto).
The Freedman’s Bureau Act stipulated “whenever any state formerly in rebellion denied on account of color the civil rights and immunities belonging to white persons, including the rights to contract, sue, give evidence, take, hold, and convey property, and enjoy the equal benefit of laws for the security of person and estate, it should be the duty of the President to extend military protection to the persons affected by such discrimination.” The Civil Rights Act of 1866 said, “persons born in the United States and not subject to any foreign power were citizens of the United States; that such citizens, without regard to color, were entitled in every state and territory to the same right to contract, sue, give evidence, and take, hold, and convey property, and to the equal benefit of all laws for the security of person and property, as was enjoyed by white citizens.” Fairman argues that these were the “privileges and immunities” the Congress said the States could not infringe upon. Even with this narrow definition of “privileges and immunities,” the XIV Amendment won passage in the Congress only by unconstitutionally excluding senators southern states from voting (and even one from New Jersey who was seated, then unseated after Republicans found he opposed the XIV Amendment). There were a number of northern fence-sitters who, if it had been clear that the XIV Amendment would be used to prevent a city government from erecting a nativity scene in front of town hall, or something else that radical, would probably have voted against. Stated another way, there were probably more Congressmen who agreed to the amendment because they viewed it in the limited way (i.e. it protected rights to sue, enter into contracts, testify in court, etc.) than there were those who wanted the amendment to be expansively interpreted (i.e. incorporate the Federal Bill of Rights). If the expansive interpretation had been recognized at the time as the only one the courts would later hold, the moderates might not have voted as they did.
The intent of the radical proposers and the other, more moderate members seems fairly clear. They wanted a constitutional amendment to prevent former Confederate states from taking away certain specific rights of ex-slaves and loyal white southerners. I have no doubt that Bingham of Ohio and Howard of Michigan would have liked to have had a broadly interpreted amendment, but that does not mean the more moderate supporters of the amendment agreed with them in this expansive (incorporation of the Bill of Rights) interpretation.
Once again, not intended as any sort of flame or challenge. You are challenging me on some of my tenets, and I look forwrd to your response.
No offense taken. Good questions. I look forward to reading more from the perspective of a contrary opinion, or at least someone who is skeptical.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Cities and States can't override the Constitution. Period. They attempt to, but there are certain, inalienable rights that can't be overridden by state/local government.

I'll have to give Chicago, along with New York and D.C. a "FAIL."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Cities and States can't override the Constitution. Period. They attempt to, but there are certain, inalienable rights that can't be overridden by state/local government.

I'll have to give Chicago, along with New York and D.C. a "FAIL."
I don't see where Chicago in restricting handguns is overriding the Constitution.
I do see where the Federal bench, if it attempts to dictate to Illinois on handgun policy, is overstepping the bounds the Constitution for the United States places on its powers.
The Constitution does not give the Federal government the power to say anything one way or the other about a state's handgun policy. The II Amendment (which I celebrate every time I go shoot my numerous bullet launchers) dictates that the Federal government cannot restrict my right to keep and bear arms. The government of the Commonwealth of Virginia, however, is bound by the Virginia Constitution, which says, "That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I don't know what the Illinois Constitution says.
To resort to the Federal government for redress in this case is to embrace a remedy that is worse than the disease.
The SCOTUS should say, "This is not a matter that comes within our purview," and remand the case to the Illinois courts to be decided in accordance with the Constitution and laws of Illinois.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

I don't know what the Illinois Constitution says.
To resort to the Federal government for redress in this case is to embrace a remedy that is worse than the disease.
The SCOTUS should say, "This is not a matter that comes within our purview," and remand the case to the Illinois courts to be decided in accordance with the Constitution and laws of Illinois.
per the IL Constitution...

SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS
Subject only to the police power, the right of the
individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed.

BTW TW- I now see your point and I also see why they are throwing this into the 14th amendment.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I don't see where Chicago in restricting handguns is overriding the Constitution.
I do see where the Federal bench, if it attempts to dictate to Illinois on handgun policy, is overstepping the bounds the Constitution for the United States places on its powers.
The Constitution does not give the Federal government the power to say anything one way or the other about a state's handgun policy. The II Amendment (which I celebrate every time I go shoot my numerous bullet launchers) dictates that the Federal government cannot restrict my right to keep and bear arms. The government of the Commonwealth of Virginia, however, is bound by the Virginia Constitution, which says, "That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I don't know what the Illinois Constitution says.
Regarding the Illinois Constitution, I did find the following provision in its Bill of Rights:

infringed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

per the IL Constitution...

infringed.

BTW TW- I now see your point and I also see why they are throwing this into the 14th amendment.
Thanks for looking up the Illinois Constitution. "Subject to the police power" interesting...
My critique of scholars' work on originalism (and I would include Jack Rakove of Stanford U. who is a gentleman and a good scholar) is that it smacks of looking for an excuse, however flimsy, on which to base an expansion of Federal powers. Sort of like saying, "If you squint real hard, and hold your head this way, you can see that the Founders intended for the Congress to be able to pass laws regulating how much water can go down the toilet when you flush."
Instead, I would prefer an honest effort at understanding what the Founders intended, and what they did not intend.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for looking up the Illinois Constitution. "Subject to the police power" interesting...
My critique of scholars' work on originalism (and I would include Jack Rakove of Stanford U. who is a gentleman and a good scholar) is that it smacks of looking for an excuse, however flimsy, on which to base an expansion of Federal powers. Sort of like saying, "If you squint real hard, and hold your head this way, you can see that the Founders intended for the Congress to be able to pass laws regulating how much water can go down the toilet when you flush."
Instead, I would prefer an honest effort at understanding what the Founders intended, and what they did not intend.
Regarding the police power, I found this:

"The decision of our supreme court in Kalodimos v. Village of
Morton Grove, 103 Ill. 2d 483, 470 N.E.2d 266 (1984) is pivotal.
In Kalodimos, the plaintiffs challenged the comprehensive handgun
ban of Morton Grove, Illinois, under article I, section 22 of the
Illinois Constitution, arguing, inter alia, that the Morton Grove
ordinance was an unconstitutional exercise of the police power.
The Morton Grove handgun ban provided that no person could
possess a handgun in Morton Grove unless the gun had been
rendered permanently inoperative......The Kalodimos court held that
the right to bear arms under article I, section 22 was not a
fundamental right..."

Here's a link to the full court opinion (not terribly long and an informative read): http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=il&vol=1951779&invol=1

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Regarding the police power, I found this:

"The decision of our supreme court in Kalodimos v. Village of
Morton Grove, 103 Ill. 2d 483, 470 N.E.2d 266 (1984) is pivotal.
In Kalodimos, the plaintiffs challenged the comprehensive handgun ban of Morton Grove, Illinois, under article I, section 22 of the Illinois Constitution, arguing, inter alia, that the Morton Grove ordinance was an unconstitutional exercise of the police power.
The Morton Grove handgun ban provided that no person could possess a handgun in Morton Grove unless the gun had been rendered permanently inoperative......The Kalodimos court held that the right to bear arms under article I, section 22 was not a fundamental right..."

Here's a link to the full court opinion (not terribly long and an informative read): FindLaw | Cases and Codes

Posted via Mobile Device
Looks like the court broadly interpreted the phrase "subject to the police power."
The way I read that, (and I'd bet the way the drafters of that provision of the Illinois Constitution intended), subject to the police power" means that the state has the right to restrict ownership of belt-fed machine guns, cannons larger than 37mm, bazooka, etc.
Instead the Illinois bench ruled that the subordinate clause "Subject to the police power" renders the main clause "the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" inoperative, or merely inserted for the purposes of deceiving the people into believing they have a right they do not, in fact, have.

I wonder if an Illinois judge can be impeached for having his head up his rear end?

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Chicago loses again:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...go-gun-range-restrictions-20170118-story.html

The U.S. Court of Appeals handed Chicago another defeat in its effort to restrict the operation of gun ranges in the city.

The appeals court on Wednesday ruled that city ordinances restricting gun ranges to manufacturing areas in Chicago are unconstitutional. The ordinances also placed limits on the distances they can be located in relation to other gun ranges and to residential areas, schools, parks and places of worship.

A three-judge panel of the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals noted the city claimed the ordinances serve important public health and safety interests, specifically that they attract gun thieves, cause airborne lead contamination and carry a risk of fire.

"The city has provided no evidentiary support for these claims, nor has it established that limiting shooting ranges to manufacturing districts and distancing them from the multiple and various uses listed in the buffer-zone rule has any connection to reducing these risks," the court wrote in its opinion.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Hunting dangerous game is a useful ancillary function of an armed citizenry, but it is not the reason the Founders explicitly reserved the right.
The barb was aimed at Betsy DeVos
Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy, who represents Sandy Hook, the site of the 2012 school shooting, asked DeVos if she believes guns have "any place in and around schools."

"I think that is best left to locales and states to decide," she said.

After Murphy pushed DeVos about why she can't say definitively whether they belong, DeVos brought up a story Sen. Mike Enzi told earlier about a school in Wyoming that has fences around it to protect against grizzly bears.
Instead of going after the general uselessness and counterproductivity of gun-free zones, she brought up some random fringe justification based on the potential for wild animal attacks. Not that I'm surprised. She's remarkably clueless on seemingly every issue that she is questioned about.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The barb was aimed at Betsy DeVos

Instead of going after the general uselessness and counterproductivity of gun-free zones, she brought up some random fringe justification based on the potential for wild animal attacks. Not that I'm surprised. She's remarkably clueless on seemingly every issue that she is questioned about.
Be that as it may, it is still a question for the state governments to decide.
I really don't care whether gun-free zones are a good idea or a bad idea. The question is simply not a Federal question and the Federal government has no authority to decide it. Any Federal answer to that question is ipso facto wrong.
John C. Calhoun said:
The Constitution has admitted the jurisdiction of the United States within the limits of the several States only so far as the delegated powers authorize; beyond that they are intruders and may be rightfully expelled.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Be that as it may, it is still a question for the state governments to decide.
I really don't care whether gun-free zones are a good idea or a bad idea. The question is simply not a Federal question and the Federal government has no authority to decide it. Any Federal answer to that question is ipso facto wrong.
Unfortunately, DeVos didn't stop at saying it's a state decision. She elaborated in Palinesque fashion with a non sequitur that gun opponents have seized on as evidence of the lunacy of Trump's appointees.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Unfortunately, DeVos didn't stop at saying it's a state decision. She elaborated in Palinesque fashion with a non sequitur that gun opponents have seized on as evidence of the lunacy of Trump's appointees.
Didn't Palin characterize herself as "Mama Grizzly"?

So maybe DeVos is trying to protect the kiddos from Palin! [emoji848]

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yeah, I guess the Secretary of Education-nominee stating, "My department's existence is unconstitutional, so approve my nomination and I'll be closing up shop. That might go over like a fart in church.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.