The vote result for reading list. Now we need to decide....

CShine

Banned
Aug 5, 2000
Huntsville, AL
what kind of rough order we are going to we are going to read these books in. First, though, the voting results were pretty clear. Three books were far and away the most mentioned. They are...

Siddhartha - Herman Hesse
The Fellowship of the Ring(LOTR) - J.R.R. Tolkien
Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

There were two other books that got multiple mentions. They are...

Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
Sophie's Choice - William Styron

Perhaps we can keep them in mind for the future.

I see that some folks have already started "Siddhartha." Since that is a quick one, then doing it first would be a breeze and we could go on from there to a lengthier work. I suggest moving to "The Fellowship of the Ring" next. Any other opinions?

------------------
We are not what we do, yet what we do often insulates us from who we are. - Donald M. Epstein

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
It seems to me that we have two threads already going, more or less simultaneously: The Hobbit/LOTR, and Siddhartha. Let's take those two, letting readers choose which one, or both, and in whatever order, and mine them for all they are worth, and save A Confederacy of Dunces for dessert! Then we can move on to others, of which I can think of quite a few I would pick.

But, please, let us add Taps by Willie Morris to the subsidiary list. It is new, and will be something that we can all come to fresh. I can almost guarantee that all Southerners will love it. It will touch something in your core being!

Come on, speak up. What do YOU want to do? It's a long time until football season!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

[This message has been edited by LTBF (edited April 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by LTBF (edited April 08, 2001).]

CShine

Banned
Aug 5, 2000
Huntsville, AL
Perhaps we could make things a bit more informal. Instead of voting on "official" reading lists, we could just try to drum up support for a book that we want to read and if others are interested they will jump on board. This way people will read what they want when they want to and we'll end up with several different threads going on at the same time(theoretically). This would also avoid what might be perceived as putting on airs if newcomers to the board think we are expecting people to read certain things if they want to participate.

Jun 16, 2000
Fresno, CA
CShine,

I agree. Plus, some are faster readers than others, or have more time, etc. Also, people are reading what interests them first. For instance, LTBF has already read Siddhartha, and I haven't even picked it up yet (still working on LOTR).

So I think it's pretty much informal. We'll just have to see who we can get to talk with us about what.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I agree with Plato. Read what you want to read (and have time to read) and care to discuss. That way we can have several different discussions going on at the same time, as we do now. It is seeming to work well.

I didn't pick Siddhartha because I was especially keen to read it, but because it was something I wasn't familiar with. I didn't care for it at first, but it stays with you, and you think about what it means, in odd minutes when you aren't thinking about other things. It kind of invades your mind, very insidiously.

I am now into chapter 4 of LOTR. I have reserved Taps for whenever it comes in at one library branch or another.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
CShine, you are a genius. That is absolutely the best solution to our dilemma that could have been concieved by mortal man!

Why aren't you a moderator? Hey BRETT!!!

I have only one suggestion. On LOTR, lets try to keep our focus on Book One for awhile. There is PLENTY to attract our attention there, and we don't want to sprint so far ahead that we spoil Professor Tolkein's dramatic plans.

I doubt we can avoid some references to the work as a whole; in fact it would probably be a mistake to do so. But we can try to keep our focus centered on where the majority of us are in the Quest.

LTBF, now I have to add Taps to my "to read" list!!! I already have ten books on that list, now that I've added Farmer's Riverworld series!! When am I going to play golf???????

BTW, I have read Cold Mountain, and I highly recommend it for our group somewhere down the line.

Barbara and I have begun our way across the Barrow Downs. We should reach Bree tonight, I hope. I LOVE Bree!!

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.